Old 07-23-2008, 03:51 PM
Shachar Or

Default will not reboot

On Wednesday 23 July 2008 18:36, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Wed,23.Jul.08, 18:28:27, Shachar Or wrote:
> > >
> > > here is the grub menu.lst entry that I am booting from:
> > >
> > > title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.25-2-686
> > > root (hd0,5)
> > > kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.25-2-686 root=/dev/sda6 ro expertgui i386
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------^^^^^^
>^^^^^^^^
>
> What are these supposed to do? Just curious, I don't think they do any
> harm.

'expertgui' looks like it is from debian installer.

--
Shachar Or | שחר אור
http://ox.freeallweb.org/

Old 07-23-2008, 03:57 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Wed,23.Jul.08, 18:51:05, Shachar Or wrote:
> On Wednesday 23 July 2008 18:36, Andrei Popescu wrote:

> > ---------------------------------------------------------------------^^^^^^
> >^^^^^^^^
> >
> > What are these supposed to do? Just curious, I don't think they do any
> > harm.
>
> 'expertgui' looks like it is from debian installer.

Yes, I thought so as well

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Old 07-23-2008, 04:35 PM
Paul Cartwright

On Wed July 23 2008, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> > > here is the grub menu.lst entry that I am booting from:
> > >
> > > title***************Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.25-2-686
> > > root****************(hd0,5)
> > > kernel**************/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.25-2-686 root=/dev/sda6 ro
> > > expertgui i386
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------^^^^^^
>^^^^^^^^
>
> What are these supposed to do? Just curious, I don't think they do any
> harm.
>
> Regards,
> Andrei

I didn't add anything, the Debian installer did it all.. no clue!!!

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800

Old 07-23-2008, 04:49 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Wed,23.Jul.08, 12:35:49, Paul Cartwright wrote:

> > ---------------------------------------------------------------------^^^^^^
> >^^^^^^^^
> >
> > What are these supposed to do? Just curious, I don't think they do any
> > harm.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Andrei
>
> I didn't add anything, the Debian installer did it all.. no clue!!!

Seems like a (minor) bug in d-i. You could report it if it wasn't
already.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Old 07-23-2008, 05:41 PM
Wayne Topa

Paul Cartwright wrote:
I have a Dell desktop, Intel Duo Core, 2Gb ram, running Lenny, 2.6.25.2-686. I
don't reboot often, but I was recently away on vacation and went to shut down
( then was 2.6.24-1 ) . It gets to a point where it says rebooting, after
what I think is MOST processes were shut down, then it just sits there, and
my keyboard is dead ( caps lock light doesn't come on..) and I have to hold
in the OFF button for 6 seconds, to turn it off. It still did it yesterday
when I went to the 2.6.25-2 kernel.

what do I look for as far as stuck processes or logs??

I have problems as well booting into 2.6.25-*. No screen display but I
can ssh into the box (AMD64). I changed the 'default 0' to the 2.6.24
stanza and it boots fine.

I'll wait for 2.6.26 before I upgrade again. ISTR 2.6.25 has had 2
upgrades in the past 2 weeks.

WT

Old 07-23-2008, 05:53 PM
Johannes Wiedersich

Old 07-23-2008, 06:06 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 07-23-2008, 06:33 PM
Paul Cartwright

On Wed July 23 2008, Ron Johnson wrote:
> This might not make any difference, but a kernel home-rolled from
> linux-source-2.6.25 and booted from lilo works perfectly for me on a
> *mobo with an nForce MCP55 chipset.

I wouldn't begin to know how to roll my own kernel.. I think I remember trying
it a while back, and still not getting the NVIDIA to work, or maybe it was
something else that didn't work, but I wasn't able to use it..