Old 07-23-2008, 09:32 AM
Adam Hardy

Default resurrecting dead mouse

Started my workstation today, logged in, launched startx: mouse was dead,
pointer just sat inactive in the middle of the screen.

Spent a while searching the debian-user archives, tabbing from link to link -
fortunately some websites don't demand the mouse. Anyway, found no solution, so
I rebooted. The mouse came back to life.

What can do at the command line to avoid the reboot when this happens?

I hadn't done anything to the system for the last 10 days or more, so there was
no config changes or package installations. There were no relevant messages in
/var/log/messages or dmesg. I just put it down to sunspots.

My config is:
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "CorePointer"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
EndSection

and I do have a KVM switch, which I tried switching around to resurrect the
mouse, without success.

This is etch, with xfce4.

Thanks
Adam

Old 07-23-2008, 09:58 AM
"Thomas Preud'homme"

The Wednesday 23 July 2008 11:32:25 Adam Hardy, you wrote*:
> Started my workstation today, logged in, launched startx: mouse was dead,
> pointer just sat inactive in the middle of the screen.
>
> Spent a while searching the debian-user archives, tabbing from link to link
> - fortunately some websites don't demand the mouse. Anyway, found no
> solution, so I rebooted. The mouse came back to life.
>
> What can do at the command line to avoid the reboot when this happens?
>
> I hadn't done anything to the system for the last 10 days or more, so there
> was no config changes or package installations. There were no relevant
> messages in /var/log/messages or dmesg. I just put it down to sunspots.
>
> My config is:
> Section "InputDevice"
> Identifier "Configured Mouse"
> Driver "mouse"
> Option "CorePointer"
> Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
> Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
> Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
> EndSection
>
> and I do have a KVM switch, which I tried switching around to resurrect the
> mouse, without success.
>
> This is etch, with xfce4.
>
> Thanks
> Adam

I had the same problem a couple of days ago, maybe 2 weeks ago. Maybe we could
fill a bug but I'm not sure.

--
Thomas Preud'homme

Why debian : http://www.debian.org/intro/why_debian

Old 07-23-2008, 10:17 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Wed,23.Jul.08, 10:32:25, Adam Hardy wrote:
> Started my workstation today, logged in, launched startx: mouse was dead,
> pointer just sat inactive in the middle of the screen.
>
> Spent a while searching the debian-user archives, tabbing from link to
> link - fortunately some websites don't demand the mouse. Anyway, found no
> solution, so I rebooted. The mouse came back to life.
>
> What can do at the command line to avoid the reboot when this happens?
>
> I hadn't done anything to the system for the last 10 days or more, so
> there was no config changes or package installations. There were no
> relevant messages in /var/log/messages or dmesg. I just put it down to
> sunspots.
>
> My config is:
> Section "InputDevice"
> Identifier "Configured Mouse"
> Driver "mouse"
> Option "CorePointer"
> Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
--------------------------------------------------^^^^^^^^^^^

Try using "/dev/input/mice" instead.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Old 07-23-2008, 01:50 PM
Daniel Burrows

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 10:32:25AM +0100, Adam Hardy <adam.ant@cyberspaceroad.com> was heard to say:
> Started my workstation today, logged in, launched startx: mouse was dead,
> pointer just sat inactive in the middle of the screen.
>
> Spent a while searching the debian-user archives, tabbing from link to
> link - fortunately some websites don't demand the mouse. Anyway, found no
> solution, so I rebooted. The mouse came back to life.
>
> What can do at the command line to avoid the reboot when this happens?

Did you try restarting the X server?

Daniel

Old 07-23-2008, 10:32 PM
Adam Hardy

[...]

Would that be a preventative measure for the future?

Considering that this hasn't happened to me before, I'm hoping to work out why
it did happen, rather than change to a different config which may have a new set
of issues. Is there any advantage to using '/dev/input/mice'?

Old 07-23-2008, 10:34 PM
Adam Hardy

[...]

If I can repeat it, sure.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:53 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Wed,23.Jul.08, 23:32:51, Adam Hardy wrote:
> Andrei Popescu on 23/07/08 11:17, wrote:

>> Try using "/dev/input/mice" instead.
>
> Would that be a preventative measure for the future?

I thought it might solve your problem.

> Considering that this hasn't happened to me before, I'm hoping to work
> out why it did happen, rather than change to a different config which may
> have a new set of issues. Is there any advantage to using
> '/dev/input/mice'?

In theory it should support any mouse. For example I have a TouchPoint +
TouchPad and sometimes I also use an USB mouse and use them all at the
same time without problems. I also vaguely recall that this is now the
preferred way to access pointing devices, but can't find any reference.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)