Old 07-23-2008, 08:48 AM
Armin Häberling

Default Multiple static ips and dhcp mixed

Hi all,

I'm currently setting up a development machine of ours. For testing our
application it need two static ips. it does not need to be accessible
under these ips from outside.
Another interface should be configured via dhcp. I would use a static
ip, but it's a laptop that may be used in a lots of different networks.

My /etc/network/interfaces looks like this

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth1
iface eth1 inet dhcp

auto eth1:0
iface eth1:0 inet static
address 172.16.2.201
netmask 255.255.255.0
broadcast 172.16.2.255

auto eth1:1
iface eth1:1 inet static
address 172.16.2.201
netmask 255.255.255.0
broadcast 172.16.2.255

I set up the static ips in a private subnet.

The problems with this solution is that eth1:0 and eth1:0 are not set up
at boot time. They are only set up if I do a /etc/init.d/networking
restart. The second is that if I unplug the network eth1:0 and eth1:1
also go down. I would really like them to be up all the time (remeber
that I don't care if they are not accessible from another machine).

There must be a better solution for this.

Thanks in advance for your help

Regards
Armin