-   -   Skype64 or SIP alternative? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/129882-skype64-sip-alternative.html)

"Nuno Magalh„es" 07-23-2008 02:37 AM

Skype64 or SIP alternative?

Greetings,

The only deb skype.com has is for i386 and i'm running AMD64.

So, i tried using the static version
(http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-linux-static) both with "linux32
./skype" and just running the ./skype but i get the same result: it'll
start, try to log in and fail with "Another skype instance may exist".
There are no other instances.

I'm trying to use 2.0.0.72 but i'll gladly use any skype-compatible
foss SIP-alternative. My sound system is ALSA and i'm using unstable.
I also tried adding
deb http://download.skype.com/linux/repos/debian/ unstable non-free
but apt-cache will not find any package.

Any suggestions?

--
Nuno Magalh„es

Ron Johnson 07-23-2008 02:56 AM

Skype64 or SIP alternative?

Johann Spies 07-23-2008 06:38 AM

Skype64 or SIP alternative?

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 03:37:37AM +0100, Nuno Magalh„es wrote:

> The only deb skype.com has is for i386 and i'm running AMD64.

I have it running on more than one 64-bit system. It is working but
not as well as on my Apple Macbook :(.

Install the ia-32 libraries and then the 32-bit deb with dpkg
--force-architecture...

Another way of doing it is to install a minimal 32-bit system in
Virtualbox-ose and run your Skype and other 32-bit stuff there when
you need it.

Regards
Johann

--
Johann Spies Telefoon: 021-808 4036

"Finally, be ye all of one mind, having compassion one
of another, love as brethren, be pitiful, be courteous:
Not rendering evil for evil, or railing for railing: but
contrariwise blessing; knowing that ye are thereunto
called, that ye should inherit a blessing."
I Peter 3:8,9

"thveillon.debian" 07-23-2008 11:25 AM

Skype64 or SIP alternative?

> On 07/22/08 21:37, Nuno Magalh„es wrote:

Greetings,

The only deb skype.com has is for i386 and i'm running AMD64.

So, i tried using the static version
(http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-linux-static) both with "linux32
./skype" and just running the ./skype but i get the same result: it'll
start, try to log in and fail with "Another skype instance may exist".
There are no other instances.

I'm trying to use 2.0.0.72 but i'll gladly use any skype-compatible
foss SIP-alternative. My sound system is ALSA and i'm using unstable.
I also tried adding
deb http://download.skype.com/linux/repos/debian/ unstable non-free
but apt-cache will not find any package.

Any suggestions?

Hi, first I have to write a short disclaimer because a few people might
jump from their seats and pop a few forehead veins ;-) , so whatever
comes next is bad, bad, and bad because it's bad :

that said, Ubuntu Medibuntu Skype static package works like a charm
without any chroot or further complication, it also has a good alsa
support so that sound can be mixed and you can hear Skype ring when
playing music...

You can grab the necessary packages "skype-static" and "skype-common"
(currently skype-static_2.0.0.72-0medibuntu1_amd64.deb and
skype-common_2.0.0.72-0medibuntu1_all.deb)

http://fr.packages.medibuntu.org/pool/non-free/s/skype/

or add medibuntu.org to your sources.list ONLY for that purpose and
comment it out after installing Skype. Install also necessary
dependencies which are all available from Lenny and Sid.

Did I mention that this is bad practice ? If your fridge stop working
after you install the packages and you can't have cold beer anymore
don't complain : you're on your own. That said I'm happily using it and
enjoy nice video conversations with my family from my Debian 64.

Good luck,

Tom

(In need of bad advices, rotten tricks, a nice system wreckage? Call me! ;-)