Old 07-23-2008, 12:05 AM
Celejar

Default The (New?) xorg configuration system

Hi,

My xorg.conf files used to have sections such as these:

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Synaptics Touchpad"
Driver "synaptics"
Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
Option "HorizScrollDelta" "0"
Option "SHMConfig" "true"

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "CorePointer"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller"
Driver "i810"
BusID "PCI:0:2:0"
EndSection

My current xorg.conf doesn't. I seem to recall reading on this list
that current xorg.conf's are simpler, but where did all the
configuration options go? Am I supposed to add back the sections that
I need manually, in order to set the options that I need? E.g.,
currently my Synaptics touchpad's scrollbar is inoperable.

Celejar

Old 07-23-2008, 01:28 AM
"Mumia W.."

My xorg.conf files used to have sections such as these:
[... sections snipped ...]
My current xorg.conf doesn't. I seem to recall reading on this list
that current xorg.conf's are simpler, but where did all the
configuration options go? Am I supposed to add back the sections that
I need manually, in order to set the options that I need? E.g.,
currently my Synaptics touchpad's scrollbar is inoperable.

Yes, you'll need to add those sections back. Your current xorg.conf
might actually work. X allows for alternate configuration files under
/etc/X11, so your "old" xorg.conf can be named xorg-old.conf, and you
could start it like so:

startx -- :1 -config xorg-old.conf

If that works, you have a good candidate for the real xorg.conf; if not,
you can continue adjusting the file till it does work.

Someone was nice enough to post this link for me:
http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/HowToRandR12

Old 07-23-2008, 01:29 AM
"Damon L. Chesser"

On Tuesday 22 July 2008 08:05:12 pm Celejar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My xorg.conf files used to have sections such as these:
>
> Section "InputDevice"
> Identifier "Synaptics Touchpad"
> Driver "synaptics"
> Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
> Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
> Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
> Option "HorizScrollDelta" "0"
> Option "SHMConfig" "true"
>
> Section "InputDevice"
> Identifier "Configured Mouse"
> Driver "mouse"
> Option "CorePointer"
> Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
> Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
> Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
> Identifier "Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML
> Express Integrated Graphics Controller" Driver "i810"
> BusID "PCI:0:2:0"
> EndSection
>
> My current xorg.conf doesn't. I seem to recall reading on this list
> that current xorg.conf's are simpler, but where did all the
> configuration options go? Am I supposed to add back the sections that
> I need manually, in order to set the options that I need? E.g.,
> currently my Synaptics touchpad's scrollbar is inoperable.
>
> Celejar
> --
> mailmin.sourceforge.net - remote access via secure (OpenPGP) email
> ssuds.sourceforge.net - A Simple Sudoku Solver and Generator

In a word, Yes.

For an example you can see /usr/share/doc/xserver-xorg-input-synaptics and the
ever present/cryptic man synaptics.

You probably need to google for a good howto somewhere. I have a link or two
on my laptop, but I am to tired to fish them out right now.

Here are two I just found:

http://wiki.zenwalk.org/index.php?title=Synaptics_Touchpad

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Touchpad_Synaptics

HTH

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com

Old 07-23-2008, 02:50 PM
"Damon L. Chesser"

On Tuesday 22 July 2008 09:29:59 pm Damon L. Chesser wrote:
> On Tuesday 22 July 2008 08:05:12 pm Celejar wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > My xorg.conf files used to have sections such as these:
> >
> > Section "InputDevice"
> > Identifier "Synaptics Touchpad"
> > Driver "synaptics"
> > Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
> > Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
> > Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
> > Option "HorizScrollDelta" "0"
> > Option "SHMConfig" "true"
> >
> > Section "InputDevice"
> > Identifier "Configured Mouse"
> > Driver "mouse"
> > Option "CorePointer"
> > Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
> > Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
> > Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
> > EndSection
> >
> > Section "Device"
> > Identifier "Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML
> > Express Integrated Graphics Controller" Driver "i810"
> > BusID "PCI:0:2:0"
> > EndSection
> >
> > My current xorg.conf doesn't. I seem to recall reading on this list
> > that current xorg.conf's are simpler, but where did all the
> > configuration options go? Am I supposed to add back the sections that
> > I need manually, in order to set the options that I need? E.g.,
> > currently my Synaptics touchpad's scrollbar is inoperable.
> >
> > Celejar
> > --
> > mailmin.sourceforge.net - remote access via secure (OpenPGP) email
> > ssuds.sourceforge.net - A Simple Sudoku Solver and Generator
>
> In a word, Yes.
>
> For an example you can see /usr/share/doc/xserver-xorg-input-synaptics and
> the ever present/cryptic man synaptics.
>
> You probably need to google for a good howto somewhere. I have a link or
> two on my laptop, but I am to tired to fish them out right now.
>
> Here are two I just found:
>
> http://wiki.zenwalk.org/index.php?title=Synaptics_Touchpad
>
> http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Touchpad_Synaptics
>
> HTH

After sleeping I pulled out my laptop and got these links:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Synaptics_Touchpad

http://johnny.chadda.se/2007/08/12/speed-up-your-synaptics-touchpad-in-ubuntu/

http://johnny.chadda.se/2007/08/12/disable-the-synaptics-touchpad-when-typing/

Really, the first is enough to get your touchpad working with some advanced
options.

HTH

Old 07-23-2008, 05:48 PM
Johannes Wiedersich

Old 07-23-2008, 06:06 PM
"Damon L. Chesser"

On Wednesday 23 July 2008 01:48:45 pm Johannes Wiedersich wrote:
> On 2008-07-23 16:50, Damon L. Chesser wrote:
> > http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Synaptics_Touchpad
> >
> > http://johnny.chadda.se/2007/08/12/speed-up-your-synaptics-touchpad-in-ub
> >untu/
> >
> > http://johnny.chadda.se/2007/08/12/disable-the-synaptics-touchpad-when-ty
> >ping/
> >
> > Really, the first is enough to get your touchpad working with some
> > advanced options.
>
> or just look at
> /usr/share/doc/xserver-xorg-input-synaptics/README.Debian
>
> which should be sufficient to get you going^^^^^^^scrolling.
>
> 8-D
>
> Johannes

All ready covered two emails ago.
>>In a word, Yes.

>>For an example you can see /usr/share/doc/xserver-xorg-input-synaptics and
>>the
>>ever present/cryptic man synaptics.

Notice I said ADVANCED options? I find killing the touchpad while typing
while still using the alt and ctrl keys with out killing the touchpad a
useful feature as is circular scrolling.

Once you KNOW to look under xserver-xorg-input-synaptics (really intuitive,
that, it should just be /usr/share/doc/synaptics, how are you supposed to
know to look for xserver-xorg-input-synaptics?) you can get a basic set up
running, but it is nice to look at what others have done to make advanced
things work. I think you pointed out that doc to me the last time this came
up, as a result, I referenced it to Celejar first.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:18 AM
Johannes Wiedersich

On 2008-07-23 20:06, Damon L. Chesser wrote:
> All ready covered two emails ago.
>>> In a word, Yes.

Oooops, sorry for not reading the thread careful enough.

> Notice I said ADVANCED options? I find killing the touchpad while
> typing while still using the alt and ctrl keys with out killing the
> touchpad a useful feature as is circular scrolling.
>
> Once you KNOW to look under xserver-xorg-input-synaptics (really
> intuitive, that, it should just be /usr/share/doc/synaptics, how are
> you supposed to know to look for xserver-xorg-input-synaptics?)

$ aptitude search synaptics
i gsynaptics - configuration tool for Synaptics
touchpad
p libsynaptics-dev - library to access the synaptics
touch pad
p libsynaptics0 - library to access the synaptics
touch pad
p xfree86-driver-synaptics - dummy package to upgrade to X.Org
new mod
v xorg-driver-synaptics -
i A xserver-xorg-input-synaptics - Synaptics TouchPad driver for
X.Org/XFree

gives you the hint.

gsynaptics, by the way, is a graphical configuration tool to configure
the touchpad 'on the fly'. I don't know if it can be used to disable the
touchpad while typing thing, but you already found a solution.

Another handy tool I use is unclutter, which hides the mouse curser
after some time, so it doesn't get into the way while you're just reading.

HTH,

Johannes

Old 07-24-2008, 04:17 PM
"Damon L. Chesser"

On Thu, 2008-07-24 at 10:18 +0200, Johannes Wiedersich wrote:
> On 2008-07-23 20:06, Damon L. Chesser wrote:
> > All ready covered two emails ago.
>
> Oooops, sorry for not reading the thread careful enough.
>
> > Notice I said ADVANCED options? I find killing the touchpad while
> > typing while still using the alt and ctrl keys with out killing the
> > touchpad a useful feature as is circular scrolling.
> >
> > Once you KNOW to look under xserver-xorg-input-synaptics (really
> > intuitive, that, it should just be /usr/share/doc/synaptics, how are
> > you supposed to know to look for xserver-xorg-input-synaptics?)
>
> $ aptitude search synaptics
> i gsynaptics - configuration tool for Synaptics
> touchpad
> p libsynaptics-dev - library to access the synaptics
> touch pad
> p libsynaptics0 - library to access the synaptics
> touch pad
> p xfree86-driver-synaptics - dummy package to upgrade to X.Org
> new mod
> v xorg-driver-synaptics -
> i A xserver-xorg-input-synaptics - Synaptics TouchPad driver for
> X.Org/XFree
>
> gives you the hint.
>
> gsynaptics, by the way, is a graphical configuration tool to configure
> the touchpad 'on the fly'. I don't know if it can be used to disable the
> touchpad while typing thing, but you already found a solution.
>
> Another handy tool I use is unclutter, which hides the mouse curser
> after some time, so it doesn't get into the way while you're just reading.
>
> HTH,
>
> Johannes

I must confess, I did not do aptitude search synaptics. Sometimes the
basics hit you the hardest. The gui tools do not give you the most
options, but they do work. I tested gsynaptics out. I prefer the good
ole text edit for more control.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:46 PM
Celejar

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 21:29:59 -0400
"Damon L. Chesser" <damon@damtek.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday 22 July 2008 08:05:12 pm Celejar wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > My xorg.conf files used to have sections such as these:

> > My current xorg.conf doesn't. I seem to recall reading on this list
> > that current xorg.conf's are simpler, but where did all the
> > configuration options go? Am I supposed to add back the sections that
> > I need manually, in order to set the options that I need? E.g.,
> > currently my Synaptics touchpad's scrollbar is inoperable.
> >
> > Celejar

> In a word, Yes.
>
> For an example you can see /usr/share/doc/xserver-xorg-input-synaptics and the
> ever present/cryptic man synaptics.

> http://wiki.zenwalk.org/index.php?title=Synaptics_Touchpad
>
> http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Touchpad_Synaptics
>
> HTH

Thanks. I'll be giving this stuff a try next time I restart X.

> Damon L. Chesser

Celejar

Old 07-24-2008, 11:48 PM
Celejar

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 10:50:45 -0400
"Damon L. Chesser" <damon@damtek.com> wrote:

> After sleeping I pulled out my laptop and got these links:
>
> http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Synaptics_Touchpad
>
> http://johnny.chadda.se/2007/08/12/speed-up-your-synaptics-touchpad-in-ubuntu/
>
> http://johnny.chadda.se/2007/08/12/disable-the-synaptics-touchpad-when-typing/
>
> Really, the first is enough to get your touchpad working with some advanced
> options.

Thanks again. Now that I understand that I'll just have to add the
sections back to xorg.conf, I think I'll be okay; the disappearance of
my previously existing sections just confused me.

> Damon L. Chesser

Celejar