Old 07-24-2008, 11:50 PM
Celejar

Default The (New?) xorg configuration system

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 19:48:45 +0200
Johannes Wiedersich <johannes@physik.blm.tu-muenchen.de> wrote:

> On 2008-07-23 16:50, Damon L. Chesser wrote:
> > http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Synaptics_Touchpad
> >
> > http://johnny.chadda.se/2007/08/12/speed-up-your-synaptics-touchpad-in-ubuntu/
> >
> > http://johnny.chadda.se/2007/08/12/disable-the-synaptics-touchpad-when-typing/
> >
> > Really, the first is enough to get your touchpad working with some advanced
> > options.
>
> or just look at
> /usr/share/doc/xserver-xorg-input-synaptics/README.Debian
>
> which should be sufficient to get you going^^^^^^^scrolling.
>
> 8-D

Thanks. I should be okay now, as per my other messages on this thread;
I'll certainly return if I'm not

> Johannes

Celejar

Old 07-24-2008, 11:55 PM
Celejar

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 12:17:27 -0400
"Damon L. Chesser" <damon@damtek.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-07-24 at 10:18 +0200, Johannes Wiedersich wrote:
> > On 2008-07-23 20:06, Damon L. Chesser wrote:

> > > Once you KNOW to look under xserver-xorg-input-synaptics (really
> > > intuitive, that, it should just be /usr/share/doc/synaptics, how are
> > > you supposed to know to look for xserver-xorg-input-synaptics?)
> >
> > $ aptitude search synaptics
> > i gsynaptics - configuration tool for Synaptics
> > touchpad
> > p libsynaptics-dev - library to access the synaptics
> > touch pad
> > p libsynaptics0 - library to access the synaptics
> > touch pad
> > p xfree86-driver-synaptics - dummy package to upgrade to X.Org
> > new mod
> > v xorg-driver-synaptics -
> > i A xserver-xorg-input-synaptics - Synaptics TouchPad driver for
> > X.Org/XFree
> >
> > gives you the hint.

I knew about the xserver-xorg-input-synaptics package; I was just
thrown by the new style of xorg.conf. I really should have
checked /usr/share/doc/xserver-xorg-input-synaptics.

> > gsynaptics, by the way, is a graphical configuration tool to configure
> > the touchpad 'on the fly'. I don't know if it can be used to disable the
> > touchpad while typing thing, but you already found a solution.

I've played with it in the past, but I've never done much
experimentation with synaptics options. We'll soon change that.

> > Another handy tool I use is unclutter, which hides the mouse curser
> > after some time, so it doesn't get into the way while you're just reading.

I've been using it for a while; one of the many great things I learned
from this list.

> > Johannes

> Damon L. Chesser

Celejar

Old 07-24-2008, 11:57 PM
Celejar

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 20:28:37 -0500
"Mumia W.." <paduille.4061.mumia.w+nospam@earthlink.net> wrote:

> On 07/22/2008 07:05 PM, Celejar wrote:
> > Hi,
> >

> Hello Celejar.
>
> > My xorg.conf files used to have sections such as these:
> > [... sections snipped ...]
> > My current xorg.conf doesn't. I seem to recall reading on this list
> > that current xorg.conf's are simpler, but where did all the
> > configuration options go? Am I supposed to add back the sections that
> > I need manually, in order to set the options that I need? E.g.,
> > currently my Synaptics touchpad's scrollbar is inoperable.
> >

> Yes, you'll need to add those sections back. Your current xorg.conf
> might actually work. X allows for alternate configuration files under
> /etc/X11, so your "old" xorg.conf can be named xorg-old.conf, and you
> could start it like so:
>
> startx -- :1 -config xorg-old.conf
>
> If that works, you have a good candidate for the real xorg.conf; if not,
> you can continue adjusting the file till it does work.
>
> Someone was nice enough to post this link for me:
> http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/HowToRandR12

Thanks. I'll be playing with this stuff next time I start X, as per my
other messages in this thread.

Celejar