Old 07-22-2008, 10:03 PM
Paul Cartwright

Default 2.6.25 kernel and NVIDIA driver

pardon me if this was already beat to death, but I was away last week.. Today
I booted into my new 2.6.25-2 kernel and I tried to run my normal
NVIDIA...-pkg1.run script. It complained about the XEN kernel and failed. So
I found this wonderful web page that helped me get my NVIDIA driver working
again:
http://blog.creonfx.com/linux/how-to-install-nvidia-driver-on-2625-2-debian-kernel-with-xen

basically it says this:
sgfxi Says:
June 3rd, 2008 at 4:32 am

I implemented this in our debian sid/testing nvidia/fglrx installer script,
sgfxi, for the lazy among you.

Must be run from /usr/local/bin
cd /usr/local/bin;wget -Nc http://techpatterns.com/sgfxi; chmod +x sgfxi

sgfxi installs all current nvidia drivers, patches them, detects your card
version to install correct driver version, or lets you override it to install
some other driver, applies patches if needed, see: sgfxi -h for currently
supported drivers.

It also updates itself automatically every time you run it after you install
it.

sgfxi home page: http://techpatterns.com/forums/about933.html

To install latest current, just do: sgfxi -c

it worked for me on my Dell desktop and GEforce 7700 NVIDIA card..

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800

Old 07-23-2008, 07:41 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Paul Cartwright wrote:
pardon me if this was already beat to death, but I was away last week.. Today
I booted into my new 2.6.25-2 kernel and I tried to run my normal
NVIDIA...-pkg1.run script. It complained about the XEN kernel and failed. So

<snip>

I can't use the vga= kernel parameter in 2.6.25-2: did you use it?

What is your kernel command line?

Hugo

Old 07-24-2008, 12:49 AM
Paul Cartwright

On Wed July 23 2008, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> I can't use the vga= kernel parameter in 2.6.25-2: did you use it?
>
> What is your kernel command line?

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.25-2-686
root (hd0,5)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.25-2-686 root=/dev/sda6 ro expertgui i386
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.25-2-686

Debian did it all, I didn't change anything..

Old 07-24-2008, 01:28 PM
Geoff Reidy

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Paul Cartwright wrote:
>> pardon me if this was already beat to death, but I was away last
>> week.. Today I booted into my new 2.6.25-2 kernel and I tried to run
>> my normal NVIDIA...-pkg1.run script. It complained about the XEN
>> kernel and failed. So
>
> <snip>
>
> I can't use the vga= kernel parameter in 2.6.25-2: did you use it?
>
> What is your kernel command line?
>
> Hugo

# grep vga /etc/lilo.conf
# can be obtained by booting with vga=ask and pressing [Enter].
vga=0x31A

works ok here

and thanks Paul, I hadn't got the new kernel and drivers to go until now.

Geoff

Old 07-25-2008, 07:35 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Paul Cartwright wrote:

I can't use the vga= kernel parameter in 2.6.25-2: did you use it?

What is your kernel command line?

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.25-2-686
root (hd0,5)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.25-2-686 root=/dev/sda6 ro expertgui i386
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.25-2-686

Debian did it all, I didn't change anything..

Where did you get 2.6.25-2-686, from apt-get?

Hugo

Old 07-25-2008, 07:41 PM
Paul Cartwright

On Fri July 25 2008, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> > title*********Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.25-2-686
> > root**********(hd0,5)
> > kernel****************/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.25-2-686 root=/dev/sda6 ro
> > expertgui i386 initrd****************/boot/initrd.img-2.6.25-2-686
> >
> > Debian did it all, I didn't change anything..
>
> Where did you get 2.6.25-2-686, from apt-get?
>
> Hugo

my usual aptitude update, then aptitude upgrade
running lenny..

Old 07-26-2008, 12:53 PM
andy

Paul Cartwright wrote:
[...]

Good find - thanks. I followed the script and it painlessly installed
the correct drivers for the 2.6.25-2-686 kernel and I am using a nVidia
GeForce 8500 card.

That's a keeper!!

Cheers

Andy