Old 07-22-2008, 09:26 PM
Mitchell Laks

Default apt upgrade sarge -> etch udev error can't get past it. Ideas?

Hi,

I am upgrading an old server to etch to be able to use new sata drives. I followed
the release notes.

I first did
apt-get upgrade
then I did
apt-get install initrd-tools

then i installed
linux-image-2.6.18-686

at this point i got an error from udev. It said that the
install of udev failed at the pre install script with error 1.
or something like that.
I tried
apt-get install -f
but it did not help.

how can i get at the pre install script and see
what the error is?

I want to avoid just reinstalling etch from scratch if I can.

How to go about debugging the error?
1. Make it more verbose
and
2. find the script - where is it kept?
3. then edit the preinstall script and fix the problem?

also I notice that now the machine will not recognize the
ethernet device eth0, which is irritating and probably secondary
to the messed up udev.

I hate to bring up sarge-> etch issues
as they are old hat as I mostly run sid on my workstations.
But this is an old server

thanks!

Mitchell

Old 07-23-2008, 12:43 AM
"Mumia W.."

I am upgrading an old server to etch to be able to use new sata drives. I followed
the release notes.

You only need a kernel upgrade for that.

I first did
apt-get upgrade

then I did
apt-get install initrd-tools

then i installed
linux-image-2.6.18-686

at this point i got an error from udev. It said that the
install of udev failed at the pre install script with error 1.
or something like that.
I tried
apt-get install -f

but it did not help.

how can i get at the pre install script and see
what the error is?

I want to avoid just reinstalling etch from scratch if I can.

How to go about debugging the error?
1. Make it more verbose

Place "set -x" at the top.

and
2. find the script - where is it kept?

/var/lib/dpkg/info/udev.preinst

3. then edit the preinstall script and fix the problem?

also I notice that now the machine will not recognize the
ethernet device eth0, which is irritating and probably secondary

to the messed up udev.

Udev is not absolutely necessary for many systems. When I upgraded to
Etch from Sarge, I left udev disabled for several months. The static
device nodes work fine under Etch, so I disabled udev by removing
execute permissions from udev and udev-mtab in /etc/init.d/ .

I'm not a big fan of udev because of the consternation it has caused me
and others.

I hate to bring up sarge-> etch issues
as they are old hat as I mostly run sid on my workstations.
But this is an old server

thanks!

Mitchell

Sarge was good O/S. If security support had been maintained for Sarge,
I'd probably still be using it.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:24 AM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 05:26:45PM -0400, Mitchell Laks wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am upgrading an old server to etch to be able to use new sata drives. I followed
> the release notes.
>
> I first did
> apt-get upgrade
> then I did
> apt-get install initrd-tools
>
> then i installed
> linux-image-2.6.18-686
>
> at this point i got an error from udev. It said that the
> install of udev failed at the pre install script with error 1.
> or something like that.
> I tried
> apt-get install -f
> but it did not help.

it seems to me you need to purge hotplug before you can install
udev. But that's from foggy memory.

> how can i get at the pre install script and see
> what the error is?

it's in /var/lib/dpkg/info/

> I want to avoid just reinstalling etch from scratch if I can.
>
> How to go about debugging the error?
> 1. Make it more verbose
> and
> 2. find the script - where is it kept?
> 3. then edit the preinstall script and fix the problem?

yup. you can set -x in the script and see what it's doing.

> also I notice that now the machine will not recognize the
> ethernet device eth0, which is irritating and probably secondary
> to the messed up udev.

surely related.

Old 07-23-2008, 03:47 AM
Mitchell Laks

> it's in /var/lib/dpkg/info/

thank you!

> > I want to avoid just reinstalling etch from scratch if I can.
> >
> > How to go about debugging the error?
> > 1. Make it more verbose
> > and
> > 2. find the script - where is it kept?
> > 3. then edit the preinstall script and fix the problem?
>
> yup. you can set -x in the script and see what it's doing.

thanks!

> > also I notice that now the machine will not recognize the
> > ethernet device eth0, which is irritating and probably secondary
> > to the messed up udev.
>
> surely related.

thanks i got it fixed!

mitchell

Old 07-23-2008, 07:19 PM
Mitchell Laks

On 19:43 Tue 22 Jul , Mumia W.. wrote:
> On 07/22/2008 04:26 PM, Mitchell Laks wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am upgrading an old server to etch to be able to use new sata drives. I followed
>> the release notes.
>>

> You only need a kernel upgrade for that.

I think sometimes kernel brings in other stuff unless I rely strongly
on backports, which I would rather not do for a production server ...
vanilla release is best for me I find...

> Place "set -x" at the top.

cool

>> and 2. find the script - where is it kept?
>
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/udev.preinst

It turned out I had a very old udev on my sarge
system that was messing up the upgrade because
the new udev did not like it.

so i did:

dpkg --purge udev
then
apt-get install udev

apt-get install -f

and I was ok.

thank you !
> Udev is not absolutely necessary for many systems. When I upgraded to
> Etch from Sarge, I left udev disabled for several months. The static
> device nodes work fine under Etch, so I disabled udev by removing
> execute permissions from udev and udev-mtab in /etc/init.d/ .
>
> I'm not a big fan of udev because of the consternation it has caused me
> and others.

I agree, I actually disabled udev myself for all of my sarge servers. I have
gone back to it for etch. It seems more stable now.

Thanks,

Mitchell