Old 11-20-2007, 01:42 PM
"Jack Schneider"

Default Window Borders Disappear

Hi, folks

I have lost my Desktop window borders. I am using Debian "lenny" updated. Problem occurred after an aborted
attempt to install Compiz.. I get the following error from the
System>preferences>windows menu..

" Cannot start the preferences application for your window manager.
Window manager "unknown" has not registered a configuration tool..

Any help would be great...
ack

Old 11-20-2007, 02:26 PM
Michael Pobega

Old 11-21-2007, 02:06 AM
Jack Schneider

On Tue, 2007-11-20 at 10:26 -0500, Michael Pobega wrote:

Thanks, for the reply... I did the # aptitude reinstall metacity thing
and regretably no change...

It really makes it painfull to have all windows in upper left corner
with no size or position control... What could be plan b???

Thanks, again

Jack

Old 11-21-2007, 02:17 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 02:42:09PM +0000, Jack Schneider wrote:
> Hi, folks
>
> I have lost my Desktop window borders. I am using Debian "lenny"
> updated. Problem occurred after an abortedattempt to install Compiz..
> I get the following error from theSystem>preferences>windows menu..
> " Cannot start the preferences application for your window
> manager.Window manager "unknown" has not registered a configuration
> tool..
>
> Any help would be great...

How did you try to install compiz? Please detail your steps, maybe we
can find a way to revert what has been done.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Old 11-21-2007, 03:23 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 10:13:41PM -0600, Jack Schneider wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-11-21 at 05:17 +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 02:42:09PM +0000, Jack Schneider wrote:
> > > Hi, folks
> > >
> > > I have lost my Desktop window borders. I am using Debian "lenny"
> > > updated. Problem occurred after an abortedattempt to install Compiz..
> > > I get the following error from theSystem>preferences>windows menu..
> > > " Cannot start the preferences application for your window
> > > manager.Window manager "unknown" has not registered a configuration
> > > tool..
> > >
> > > Any help would be great...
> >
> > How did you try to install compiz? Please detail your steps, maybe we
> > can find a way to revert what has been done.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Andrei
>
> Hi, Sorry about the inability to respond...
> will try tomorrow..
> Thanks, Jack

Please keep replies on list. You can get much better help

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Old 11-21-2007, 03:59 AM
Daniel Burrows

On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 09:06:59PM -0600, Jack Schneider <puck@volunteerwireless.net> was heard to say:
> On Tue, 2007-11-20 at 10:26 -0500, Michael Pobega wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 02:42:09PM +0000, Jack Schneider wrote:
> > > I have lost my Desktop window borders. I am using Debian "lenny"
> > > updated. Problem occurred after an abortedattempt to install Compiz..
> > > I get the following error from theSystem>preferences>windows menu.. "
> > > Cannot start the preferences application for your window
> > > manager.Window manager "unknown" has not registered a configuration
> > > tool..
> > >
> > > Any help would be great... J ack
> > >

> > Why don't you try aptitude reinstall metacity? That may work.
>
> Thanks, for the reply... I did the # aptitude reinstall metacity thing
> and regretably no change...
>
> It really makes it painfull to have all windows in upper left corner
> with no size or position control... What could be plan b???

If you can get access to the windows themselves: does running metacity
from a terminal help? If that complains that another window manager is
running, try metacity --replace. I think you have to save the Gnome
session after that if it works, but I don't remember what the Gnome
voodoo for saving a session is.

Daniel

Old 11-21-2007, 01:10 PM
Jack Schneider

On Tue, 2007-11-20 at 20:59 -0800, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 09:06:59PM -0600, Jack Schneider <puck@volunteerwireless.net> was heard to say:

> > > Why don't you try aptitude reinstall metacity? That may work.
> >
> > Thanks, for the reply... I did the # aptitude reinstall metacity thing
> > and regretably no change...
> >
> > It really makes it painfull to have all windows in upper left corner
> > with no size or position control... What could be plan b???
>
> If you can get access to the windows themselves: does running metacity
> from a terminal help? If that complains that another window manager is
> running, try metacity --replace. I think you have to save the Gnome
> session after that if it works, but I don't remember what the Gnome
> voodoo for saving a session is.
>
> Daniel

Thanks, Daniel, That helps.. I now have window's with borders on
current screen , after running: sudo metacity --replace. I get an
error though!!

[Window manager warning: Failed to load theme "Clearlooks": Failed to
find a valid file for theme Clearlooks]
and I am not sure this condition will be there at next login....

Re: Andrei's question..
" How did you try to install compiz? Please detail your steps, maybe we
can find a way to revert what has been done."

Since it's been a couple of day's, this is best that I can recall.

I run a NVIDIA Geforce 8600GT video card. So There were some howto's on
the (I think) Debian-Compiz wiki. calling for some changes to xorg.conf
under "etch". I run "lenny" but the same video driver as I did under
"etch", NVIDIA 100.14.19 so I added the suggested changes...via $ sudo
vim /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
I recall a addtion entry to the "device' section and a new "extensions"
entry...
then I used " # aptitude install compiz " to load Compiz. It installed
with out error... I then logged out and in. and that's where the problem
happened... I PANICed ! I was able to use a xterm OK so I replaced the
xorg.conf from xorg.conf.bak and # aptitude remove compiz....OK. That
didnt help.

Then I asked for help.... This is the best I can remember...Memory is
slipping as I get older...really old...8-(

Thanks, to both of you...
Jack

Old 11-21-2007, 01:42 PM
Michael Pobega

Old 11-21-2007, 02:05 PM
Jack Schneider

Old 11-21-2007, 02:45 PM
Jack Schneider

On Wed, 2007-11-21 at 09:42 -0500, Michael Pobega wrote:

Hi, Michael

Tried it, purge & reinstall, log out & in -- No Change... Only way to
get borders back is $ metacity --replace....that works...

FYI

Jack
ps plan C ???