Old 07-22-2008, 06:39 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Default synaptic problem?

Mark Neidorff wrote:

Hi,

I want to switch an installation from an IDE disk to a SATA disk. I use
synaptic to manage packages for me. The File menu has an option to generate
a package install script. So, I created a custom filter to show just
installed packages and selected that filter. (cool) Then I selected all the
packages for "reinstallation" (the only option). Then I selected "generate
package install script" from the File menu. The script that was generated
starts with
#! /bin/sh

wget
wget
wget
.
.
.
with one "wget" line for each package that I selected, but there is nothing in
the script file after the "wget". Am I doing something wrong, or is there a
bug?

At least you got wget's, I only got #! /bin/sh

synaptic 0.62.1 Graphical package manager

Hugo

Old 07-22-2008, 06:54 PM
Shachar Or

On Tuesday 22 July 2008 21:12, Mark Neidorff wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to switch an installation from an IDE disk to a SATA disk. I use
> synaptic to manage packages for me. The File menu has an option to
> generate a package install script. So, I created a custom filter to show
> just installed packages and selected that filter. (cool) Then I selected
> all the packages for "reinstallation" (the only option). Then I selected
> "generate package install script" from the File menu. The script that was
> generated starts with
> #! /bin/sh
> wget
> wget
> wget
> .
> .
> .
> with one "wget" line for each package that I selected, but there is nothing
> in the script file after the "wget". Am I doing something wrong, or is
> there a bug?

Are you trying to create a script that will intall the same packages you have
installed? If so, The scripts that I made may interest you.

--
Shachar Or | שחר אור
http://ox.freeallweb.org/

Old 07-22-2008, 06:54 PM
"Stackpole, Chris"

>Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
>
> >Mark Neidorff wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I want to switch an installation from an IDE disk to a SATA disk. I
use
> > synaptic to manage packages for me. The File menu has an option to
> generate
> > a package install script. So, I created a custom filter to show
just
> > installed packages and selected that filter. (cool) Then I
selected
> all the
> > packages for "reinstallation" (the only option). Then I selected
> "generate
> > package install script" from the File menu. The script that was
> generated
> > starts with
> > #! /bin/sh
> > wget
> > wget
> > wget
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > with one "wget" line for each package that I selected, but there is
> nothing in
> > the script file after the "wget". Am I doing something wrong, or is
> there a
> > bug?
> >

> At least you got wget's, I only got #! /bin/sh
>
> synaptic 0.62.1 Graphical package manager
>

> Hugo

Same. Just #!/bin/sh. I have the same version as well 0.62.1. That's
odd.

Anyway, looking at the file menu for synaptic, it has a "Add downloaded
packages" and the hover text says "Add packages downloaded with the
'Generate package download script' feature to the system".

I have never used this before, so this may be a wild guess, but is it
possible that you run the script to wget the packages and then run the
"Add downloaded packages" to install them? Have you tried that?

Have fun!
Chris Stackpole

Old 07-22-2008, 07:35 PM
Mark Neidorff

On Tuesday 22 July 2008 02:54 pm, Shachar Or wrote:
> On Tuesday 22 July 2008 21:12, Mark Neidorff wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I want to switch an installation from an IDE disk to a SATA disk. I use
> > synaptic to manage packages for me. The File menu has an option to
> > generate a package install script. So, I created a custom filter to show
> > just installed packages and selected that filter. (cool) Then I
> > selected all the packages for "reinstallation" (the only option). Then I
> > selected "generate package install script" from the File menu. The
> > script that was generated starts with
> > #! /bin/sh
> > wget
> > wget
> > wget
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > with one "wget" line for each package that I selected, but there is
> > nothing in the script file after the "wget". Am I doing something wrong,
> > or is there a bug?
>
> Are you trying to create a script that will intall the same packages you
> have installed? If so, The scripts that I made may interest you.

Yes. That is what I am trying to do. I did not see the script on your
website. Can you post the script to the list, or send me a link to it?

Thanks,

Mark

Old 07-22-2008, 07:40 PM
Mark Neidorff

On Tuesday 22 July 2008 02:54 pm, Stackpole, Chris wrote:
> >Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> > >Mark Neidorff wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I want to switch an installation from an IDE disk to a SATA disk. I
>
> use
>
> > > synaptic to manage packages for me. The File menu has an option to
> >
> > generate
> >
> > > a package install script. So, I created a custom filter to show
>
> just
>
> > > installed packages and selected that filter. (cool) Then I
>
> selected
>
> > all the
> >
> > > packages for "reinstallation" (the only option). Then I selected
> >
> > "generate
> >
> > > package install script" from the File menu. The script that was
> >
> > generated
> >
> > > starts with
> > > #! /bin/sh
> > > wget
> > > wget
> > > wget
> > > .
> > > .
> > > .
> > > with one "wget" line for each package that I selected, but there is
> >
> > nothing in
> >
> > > the script file after the "wget". Am I doing something wrong, or is
> >
> > there a
> >
> > > bug?
> >
> > At least you got wget's, I only got #! /bin/sh
> >
> > synaptic 0.62.1 Graphical package manager
> >

> > Hugo
>
> Same. Just #!/bin/sh. I have the same version as well 0.62.1. That's
> odd.
>
> Anyway, looking at the file menu for synaptic, it has a "Add downloaded
> packages" and the hover text says "Add packages downloaded with the
> 'Generate package download script' feature to the system".
>
> I have never used this before, so this may be a wild guess, but is it
> possible that you run the script to wget the packages and then run the
> "Add downloaded packages" to install them? Have you tried that?
>
> Have fun!
> Chris Stackpole
I used to get the one line script and my version of synaptic is older 0.57.8.
After googling I found out that I need to select packages first. then I got
one line per selected package. But, only wget on each line.
Mark

Old 07-22-2008, 08:33 PM
Shachar Or

On Tuesday 22 July 2008 22:35, Mark Neidorff wrote:
> Yes. That is what I am trying to do. I did not see the script on your
> website. Can you post the script to the list, or send me a link to it?

The script is attached. I'd love to have feedback on it.

--
Shachar Or | שחר אור
http://ox.freeallweb.org/

Old 07-23-2008, 01:17 AM
"Mumia W.."

On 07/22/2008 01:54 PM, Stackpole, Chris wrote:

[..]
Anyway, looking at the file menu for synaptic, it has a "Add downloaded
packages" and the hover text says "Add packages downloaded with the
'Generate package download script' feature to the system".

I have never used this before, so this may be a wild guess, but is it
possible that you run the script to wget the packages and then run the
"Add downloaded packages" to install them? [...]

Yes, that's how it works. I was able to use this method with synaptic
under Ubuntu Hardy.