Old 07-22-2008, 02:56 PM
Hendrik Boom

Default Uninstalling djb daemontools, djbdns

Ages ago I installed daemontools and djbdns from the installer on
http://cr.yp.to

Now I;d like to replace that installation with one that uses the
Debian packages. How do I go about uninstalling the djb versinos?

Just removing the /packages and /command directories didn't work. I get
regular messages complaining that /command/svscanboot can't be started, so
there are still remnants somewhere.

-- hendrik

Old 07-22-2008, 03:09 PM
Georgi Alexandrov

Hendrik Boom wrote:

Ages ago I installed daemontools and djbdns from the installer on
http://cr.yp.to

Now I;d like to replace that installation with one that uses the
Debian packages. How do I go about uninstalling the djb versinos?

Follow the manual and install scripts backwards.

Just removing the /packages and /command directories didn't work. I get
regular messages complaining that /command/svscanboot can't be started, so
there are still remnants somewhere.

You probably have plenty of stuff left in /usr/local and /etc/inittab.

-- hendrik

--
regards,
Georgi Alexandrov

key server - pgp.mit.edu :: key id - 0x37B4B3EE
Key fingerprint = E429 BF93 FA67 44E9 B7D4 F89E F990 01C1 37B4 B3EE

Old 07-22-2008, 05:35 PM
Hendrik Boom

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 18:09:19 +0300, Georgi Alexandrov wrote:

> Hendrik Boom wrote:
>> Ages ago I installed daemontools and djbdns from the installer on
>> http://cr.yp.to
>>
>> Now I;d like to replace that installation with one that uses the
>> Debian packages. How do I go about uninstalling the djb versinos?
>

> Follow the manual and install scripts backwards.

Considering there isn't an installation script ...

Instead, there's a moderately involved C program that's supposed to do the
installation.

>> Just removing the /packages and /command directories didn't work. I
>> get regular messages complaining that /command/svscanboot can't be
>> started, so there are still remnants somewhere.
>
> You probably have plenty of stuff left in /usr/local and /etc/inittab.

Yup. There is. Including the line in inittab that causes djb's
process supervisor to keep restarting. At least the ones in
/usr/local/bin are all symbolic links elsewhere, so they're easy to find.
I do hope that's all.

Is there an easy way to scan a system to find all files that aren't part
of any package? Except of course for files like the ones under /home or
/usr/local or such?

-- hendrik

Old 07-23-2008, 08:46 AM
Pavlos Parissis

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 17:35:11 +0000 (UTC)
Hendrik Boom <hendrik@topoi.pooq.com> wrote:

[snip]

> Is there an easy way to scan a system to find all files that aren't part
> of any package? Except of course for files like the ones under /home or
> /usr/local or such?

How about using find to get the list of all files and compare with a list of
files which are owner by all packages(use dpgk to get the list). That should
give you any file which is not installed by debian packages. I know very ugly way.

You can also try get the debian package of djb daemontools, djbdns downloaded
and use dpkg-deb -c <package> in order to get an idea of the files that are installed.

Hope it helps,
Pavlos

Old 07-23-2008, 10:11 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Wed,23.Jul.08, 10:46:02, Pavlos Parissis wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 17:35:11 +0000 (UTC)
> Hendrik Boom <hendrik@topoi.pooq.com> wrote:
>
> [snip]
> >
> > Is there an easy way to scan a system to find all files that aren't part
> > of any package? Except of course for files like the ones under /home or
> > /usr/local or such?
>
> How about using find to get the list of all files and compare with a list of
> files which are owner by all packages(use dpgk to get the list). That should
> give you any file which is not installed by debian packages. I know very ugly way.

I think debfoster can create such a list.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Old 07-23-2008, 10:13 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Wed,23.Jul.08, 13:11:24, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Wed,23.Jul.08, 10:46:02, Pavlos Parissis wrote:
> > On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 17:35:11 +0000 (UTC)
> > Hendrik Boom <hendrik@topoi.pooq.com> wrote:
> >
> > [snip]
> > >
> > > Is there an easy way to scan a system to find all files that aren't part
> > > of any package? Except of course for files like the ones under /home or
> > > /usr/local or such?
> >
> > How about using find to get the list of all files and compare with a list of
> > files which are owner by all packages(use dpgk to get the list). That should
> > give you any file which is not installed by debian packages. I know very ugly way.
>
> I think debfoster can create such a list.

Sorry, that's probably deborphan.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Old 07-23-2008, 10:37 AM
NN_il_Confusionario

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 01:13:06PM +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Wed,23.Jul.08, 13:11:24, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> > On Wed,23.Jul.08, 10:46:02, Pavlos Parissis wrote:
> > I think debfoster can create such a list.
> Sorry, that's probably deborphan.

apt-cache show cruft

Old 07-23-2008, 10:43 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Wed,23.Jul.08, 12:37:37, NN_il_Confusionario wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 01:13:06PM +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> > > I think debfoster can create such a list.
> > Sorry, that's probably deborphan.
>
> apt-cache show cruft

Ah, yes, that's the one.

Regards,