-   -   Multiboot (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/1293-multiboot.html)

"Loeghmon T. Nejad" 11-20-2007 01:56 PM

Multiboot

I am learning Debian and I was wondering if it possible to install two
instances of Debian on the same machine. One as the production
workstation for the daily work, and the other for experimentation,
testing software, add/remove apps, etc. I can then boot into the
partition that I like based on the task at hand. Thanks.

Raj Kiran Grandhi 11-20-2007 02:15 PM

Multiboot

Loeghmon T. Nejad wrote:

I am learning Debian and I was wondering if it possible to install two
instances of Debian on the same machine. One as the production
workstation for the daily work, and the other for experimentation,
testing software, add/remove apps, etc. I can then boot into the
partition that I like based on the task at hand. Thanks.

Yes you can. You can have as many instances of Debian or any other
flavour of linux or even another operating system on your machine. You
are limited only by the disk space. Just create a separate partition and
install debian into that partition. You might also try a chroot system
or virtualisation to run different instances of operating systems at the
same time.

--
Raj Kiran Grandhi

Michael Pobega 11-20-2007 02:28 PM

Multiboot

Hugo Vanwoerkom 11-20-2007 02:48 PM

Multiboot

Loeghmon T. Nejad wrote:

I am learning Debian and I was wondering if it possible to install two
instances of Debian on the same machine. One as the production
workstation for the daily work, and the other for experimentation,
testing software, add/remove apps, etc. I can then boot into the
partition that I like based on the task at hand. Thanks.

At last count I ran 14 Debian instances in 14 partitions.
Just create a partition and install. Then with Grub or Lilo select the
one you want to boot.

Hugo

Frank McCormick 11-20-2007 03:37 PM

Multiboot

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 09:48:40 -0600
Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> wrote:

> Loeghmon T. Nejad wrote:
> > I am learning Debian and I was wondering if it possible to install
> > two instances of Debian on the same machine. One as the production
> > workstation for the daily work, and the other for experimentation,
> > testing software, add/remove apps, etc. I can then boot into the
> > partition that I like based on the task at hand. Thanks.
> >

> At last count I ran 14 Debian instances in 14 partitions.
> Just create a partition and install. Then with Grub or Lilo select
> the one you want to boot.

I am curious - where do you have Grub installed ? How do you
maintain the menus? I have two partitions and two installations and
everytime a kernel gets updated in one or the other it's chaos.

Cheers

Frank

--
Change the world one loan at a time - visit Kiva.org to find out how

Hugo Vanwoerkom 11-20-2007 06:50 PM

Multiboot

Frank McCormick wrote:

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 09:48:40 -0600
I am learning Debian and I was wondering if it possible to install
two instances of Debian on the same machine. One as the production
workstation for the daily work, and the other for experimentation,
testing software, add/remove apps, etc. I can then boot into the
partition that I like based on the task at hand. Thanks.

At last count I ran 14 Debian instances in 14 partitions.
Just create a partition and install. Then with Grub or Lilo select
the one you want to boot.

I am curious - where do you have Grub installed ? How do you
maintain the menus? I have two partitions and two installations and
everytime a kernel gets updated in one or the other it's chaos.

Good point. Grub in its menu.lst has only a few of them that I currently
use. I don't use Raid but have 4 HDDs, 2 IDE and 2 USB, of which one is
PATA and one is SATA.

Curious point: with this setup I have to boot grub from CD, otherwise he
doesn't get the right menu. That happened since I installed the SATA USB.

Hugo

Hugo Vanwoerkom 11-20-2007 07:24 PM

Multiboot

Frank McCormick wrote:

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 09:48:40 -0600
I am learning Debian and I was wondering if it possible to install
two instances of Debian on the same machine. One as the production
workstation for the daily work, and the other for experimentation,
testing software, add/remove apps, etc. I can then boot into the
partition that I like based on the task at hand. Thanks.

At last count I ran 14 Debian instances in 14 partitions.
Just create a partition and install. Then with Grub or Lilo select
the one you want to boot.

I am curious - where do you have Grub installed ? How do you
maintain the menus? I have two partitions and two installations and
everytime a kernel gets updated in one or the other it's chaos.

I wrote a program to keep track of what's where:
http://www.esnips.com/doc/e46065d5-2182-4d4f-8ca0-96245460e4f4/do_test_gpc_11102007

It uses fdisk to check all the partitions and then displays

1 partition devices
2 disk models+kernek versions
3 partition sizes
4 date last used
5 mount count

As you see hda10 where home is, is due for an fscheck.

Hugo

Daniel Burrows 11-21-2007 04:02 AM

Multiboot

On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 09:56:21AM -0500, "Loeghmon T. Nejad" <loeghmon@gmail.com> was heard to say:
> I am learning Debian and I was wondering if it possible to install two
> instances of Debian on the same machine. One as the production
> workstation for the daily work, and the other for experimentation,
> testing software, add/remove apps, etc. I can then boot into the
> partition that I like based on the task at hand. Thanks.

If you're running stable, and you don't need any special kernel
drivers, you might want to take a look at xen for this sort of thing. I
had a xen system running here for a while with great success (I ended up
wanting to run some 3d software, and xen isn't compatible with the
NVidia drivers, sadly). Xen is a little tricky to get set up, but it's
great to not have to reboot the computer to switch systems, and to be
able to reallocate space without having to resize partitions.

Daniel

"Douglas A. Tutty" 11-21-2007 12:25 PM

Multiboot

On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 09:02:13PM -0800, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 09:56:21AM -0500, "Loeghmon T. Nejad" <loeghmon@gmail.com> was heard to say:
> > I am learning Debian and I was wondering if it possible to install two
> > instances of Debian on the same machine. One as the production
> > workstation for the daily work, and the other for experimentation,
> > testing software, add/remove apps, etc. I can then boot into the
> > partition that I like based on the task at hand. Thanks.
>
> If you're running stable, and you don't need any special kernel
> drivers, you might want to take a look at xen for this sort of thing. I
> had a xen system running here for a while with great success (I ended up
> wanting to run some 3d software, and xen isn't compatible with the
> NVidia drivers, sadly). Xen is a little tricky to get set up, but it's
> great to not have to reboot the computer to switch systems, and to be
> able to reallocate space without having to resize partitions.

For two instances of the same kernel, why not just use a chroot with
users using schroot -pc ?

Doug.

George 11-22-2007 12:27 PM

Multiboot

Loeghmon T. Nejad wrote:

I am learning Debian and I was wondering if it possible to install two
instances of Debian on the same machine. One as the production
workstation for the daily work, and the other for experimentation,
testing software, add/remove apps, etc. I can then boot into the
partition that I like based on the task at hand. Thanks.

I have two instances of Debian on each of 2 Thinkpads and Desktops.
On main Thikpad I have Deb-test and Deb-unstable along with a
mini-RIP-Linux and somethimes Ubuntu/Suse... On others PC's simply two
copies of Debian-test. I run one for several weeks, back it up, do
synaptic/apt-get upgrade, run a few days then swithch over to alternate
and do likewise.

In all cases my data is on a DATA partition with logical pointers to it.
I also have a BKUP partition which contains .tgz backup of each Linux
environment and data as well as grub and bootable mini-RIP-Linux.

Warning, simply copying Debian from one partition to another will no
longer work as of 2-3 years ago unules you rebuild, via yaird, a new
initrd.img (changing fstab prior, then restoring after) for the aother
partition. (you also have to change fstab for that partition and add
info to /boot/grub/menu.lst in the main boot partition. I do not know
if this is still true, something changed there recently. This problem
was never encountered with Suse or Ubuntu, but this quirk allowed me to
install Debian on a USB-HD, booting and running from USB last year.

===========================
# X4: grub.conf: grub : root (hd0,3) : setup (hd0)
GRUB_PARTION=hda4/BKUP

#
timeout 4
color black/cyan yellow/cyan
default saved
fallback 1

title WinXP (HDA1)
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

title Debian-beta (HDA6) final_test NO_RESUME
kernel (hd0,5)/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda6 ro vga=791 selinux=0 noresume
initrd (hd0,5)/initrd.img

title Debian-beta (HDA6) final_test
kernel (hd0,5)/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda6 ro vga=791 resume=/dev/hda5
initrd (hd0,5)/initrd.img
savedefault

title Debian-alpha (HDA7) early_test
kernel (hd0,6)/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda7 ro vga=791 resume=/dev/hda5
initrd (hd0,6)/initrd.img
savedefault

title RIP-X on BKUP (HDA4) RIP RecoveryIsPossible + GUI
kernel (hd0,3)/RIP-kernel root=/dev/hda4 vga=1 nokeymap

title RIP on BKUP (HDA4) RIP compressed into RAM no GUI
kernel (hd0,3)/RIP-kernel root=dev/ram0 rw vga=1 nokeymap
initrd (hd0,3)/RIP-rootfs.cgz

#