Old 07-22-2008, 02:02 AM

Default Routing through an Openvpn tunnel.

Folk,

I have a tunnel as described in openvpn.man,
Example 2, between my home 10.4.0.1 and work
10.4.0.2 machines.
"ping 10.4.0.1" from 10.4.0.2
and
"ping 10.4.0.2" from 10.4.0.1
succeed as expected.

Routing from the LAN attached to 10.4.0.2 does
not work yet.

Near the end of openvpn(8) dated 3 August 2005,
James Yonan wrote,
jy> "Routing:
... enable TUN packet forwarding through the firewall:
iptables -A FORWARD -i tun+ -j ACCEPT
..."
which suggests that iptables is involved in routing.

Whereas in the Shorewall mailing list, Tom Eastep
commented,
"You don't specify routing in Shorewall or using
iptables. You specify routing via OpenVPN."

So I'm left with two questions.

* What is the iptables command above doing?

* What does Tom mean by "... specify routing
via OpenVPN."?

Thanks for any ideas, ... Peter E.

--
http://carnot.yi.org/