Old 07-21-2008, 09:49 PM
Account for Debian group mail

Default Kernel version for Pentium MMX

Hello,

We're in the process of upgrading some old computers from sarge to etch.

On one computer (used only as a firewall) it has:

Intel Pentium with F0 0F bug - workaround enabled.
CPU: Intel Pentium MMX stepping 03

Anyway the kernel it is running is:

vmlinuz-2.4.27-4-586tsc for the Pentium-Classic.

My question is, on the upgrade should I install the kernel-image-2.6-386
or the kernel-image-2.6-686? I see no 586tsc.

Thanks,

Ken

Old 07-21-2008, 09:56 PM
Steven Jan Springl

On Monday 21 July 2008 22:49, Account for Debian group mail wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We're in the process of upgrading some old computers from sarge to etch.
>
> On one computer (used only as a firewall) it has:
>
> Intel Pentium with F0 0F bug - workaround enabled.
> CPU: Intel Pentium MMX stepping 03
>
> Anyway the kernel it is running is:
>
> vmlinuz-2.4.27-4-586tsc for the Pentium-Classic.
>
> My question is, on the upgrade should I install the kernel-image-2.6-386
> or the kernel-image-2.6-686? I see no 586tsc.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ken

Ken

The Pentium MMX is a 586, you should use kernel-image-2.6-386.

Steven.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:04 PM
"Guillaume Ansanay-Alex"

> Intel Pentium with F0 0F bug - workaround enabled.
> CPU: Intel Pentium MMX stepping 03
>
> Anyway the kernel it is running is:
>
> vmlinuz-2.4.27-4-586tsc for the Pentium-Classic.
>
> My question is, on the upgrade should I install the kernel-image-2.6-386
> or the kernel-image-2.6-686? I see no 586tsc.

I'd say install the 386 one. Your CPU is not a 686.

--
Gu

Old 07-21-2008, 10:10 PM
Henry Luciano

Account for Debian group mail wrote:

My question is, on the upgrade should I install the kernel-image-2.6-386
or the kernel-image-2.6-686? I see no 586tsc.

Wow, this brings back memories (COAST modules anyone?) IIRC the 686 image will
barf on your Pentium MMX as the Pentium Pro instruction set isn't supported.
Don't know if it'd be worth looking at linux-image-2.6-486.

Out of curiosity, why hang onto an old Pentium when you can pick up an old
Athlon or P3 for probably nothing? Aside from not dumping yet another system
into the waste stream that is.

Best of luck,
--
Henry Luciano Mote Marine Laboratory
IS Director 941-388-4441 x409

"The computer ... is an Old Testament God -
lots of rules and no mercy." ~ Joseph Campbell

Old 07-21-2008, 10:32 PM
Account for Debian group mail

Henry,

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008, Henry Luciano wrote:

> Out of curiosity, why hang onto an old Pentium when you can pick up an old
> Athlon or P3 for probably nothing? Aside from not dumping yet another system
> into the waste stream that is.

Because this computer was long ago paid for and there for doesn't cost
anything. It is slow as sin but does a good job as a firewall and was our
way to recycle an old worthless machine. It's been working fine as a fire
wall for several years.

Ken

Old 07-21-2008, 11:54 PM
Ron Johnson