Old 07-21-2008, 08:17 PM
Nigel Henry

Default Problems getting Etch in France

The only place I can find in France that has Etch DVD's available, wants
payment via paypal, and Visa. I have neither, only my local banks Carte
Bleue.

I'm currently downloading 6 iso's for Fedora 9 on dialup, and am not too
bothered about the time it takes.

All my current Debian Installs, Sarge, Etch, and Lenny, were installed using
my Woody 3.0r2 disks. I have a new machine, and don't want to go through the
hassle of upgrading Woody to Sarge, then Etch, along with the transition to
xorg again.

Could someone kindly point me to where I can get the base install for Etch,
including KDE. I don't mind downloading 4 or 5 iso's if this is necessary.

Many thanks for any help with this problem.

Nigel.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:25 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Mon,21.Jul.08, 22:17:39, Nigel Henry wrote:
> The only place I can find in France that has Etch DVD's available, wants
> payment via paypal, and Visa. I have neither, only my local banks Carte
> Bleue.
>
> I'm currently downloading 6 iso's for Fedora 9 on dialup, and am not too
> bothered about the time it takes.
>
> All my current Debian Installs, Sarge, Etch, and Lenny, were installed using
> my Woody 3.0r2 disks. I have a new machine, and don't want to go through the
> hassle of upgrading Woody to Sarge, then Etch, along with the transition to
> xorg again.
>
> Could someone kindly point me to where I can get the base install for Etch,
> including KDE. I don't mind downloading 4 or 5 iso's if this is necessary.

http://cdimage.debian.org

You should read the FAQ first

http://www.debian.org/CD/faq

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Old 07-21-2008, 08:50 PM
Gerard Robin

MURPHY_FINANCE6 autolearn=failed version=3.2.3

The only place I can find in France that has Etch DVD's available, wants
payment via paypal, and Visa. I have neither, only my local banks Carte
Bleue.

I'm currently downloading 6 iso's for Fedora 9 on dialup, and am not too
bothered about the time it takes.

All my current Debian Installs, Sarge, Etch, and Lenny, were installed using
my Woody 3.0r2 disks. I have a new machine, and don't want to go through the
hassle of upgrading Woody to Sarge, then Etch, along with the transition to
xorg again.

Could someone kindly point me to where I can get the base install for Etch,
including KDE. I don't mind downloading 4 or 5 iso's if this is necessary.

Many thanks for any help with this problem.

Do you know ikarios ?

http://www.ikarios.com/p374-Debian.html

hth.
--
Gérard

Old 07-21-2008, 09:27 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 10:17:39PM +0200, Nigel Henry wrote:

> Could someone kindly point me to where I can get the base install for Etch,
> including KDE. I don't mind downloading 4 or 5 iso's if this is necessary.

if you don't mind all the downloading, why don't you just download and
install the netinstall iso? That will give you a minimal system that
can be then be expanded through the regular apt system.

Old 07-22-2008, 03:00 AM
"Mumia W.."

The only place I can find in France that has Etch DVD's available, wants
payment via paypal, and Visa. I have neither, only my local banks Carte
Bleue.

[...]

So get a paypal account.

Anyway, you only need the first CD-ROM of Debian to install the O/S.
Jigdo is the preferred way to do this: http://www.debian.org/CD/jigdo-cd/

Old 07-22-2008, 03:16 AM
Jerome BENOIT

netinstall is a good alternative !

Mumia W.. wrote:

The only place I can find in France that has Etch DVD's available,
wants payment via paypal, and Visa. I have neither, only my local
banks Carte Bleue.

[...]

So get a paypal account.

Anyway, you only need the first CD-ROM of Debian to install the O/S.
Jigdo is the preferred way to do this: http://www.debian.org/CD/jigdo-cd/

--
Jerome BENOIT
jgmbenoit_at_mailsnare_dot_net

Old 07-22-2008, 03:20 AM
John Hasler

Mumia writes:
> So get a paypal account.

Many people are unwilling to do that.

> Anyway, you only need the first CD-ROM of Debian to install the O/S.

Actually you only need the much smaller netinst CD-ROM. Google for it.
--
John Hasler

Old 07-22-2008, 07:40 PM
Nigel Henry

On Monday 21 July 2008 22:50, Gerard Robin wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 10:17:39PM +0200, Nigel Henry wrote:
> >From: Nigel Henry <cave.dnb2m97pp@aliceadsl.fr>
> >To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> >Subject: Problems getting Etch in France
> > tests=LDOSUBSCRIBER,LDO_WHITELIST, MURPHY_FINANCE6 autolearn=failed
> > version=3.2.3
> >
> >The only place I can find in France that has Etch DVD's available, wants
> >payment via paypal, and Visa. I have neither, only my local banks Carte
> >Bleue.
> >
> >I'm currently downloading 6 iso's for Fedora 9 on dialup, and am not too
> >bothered about the time it takes.
> >
> >All my current Debian Installs, Sarge, Etch, and Lenny, were installed
> > using my Woody 3.0r2 disks. I have a new machine, and don't want to go
> > through the hassle of upgrading Woody to Sarge, then Etch, along with the
> > transition to xorg again.
> >
> >Could someone kindly point me to where I can get the base install for
> > Etch, including KDE. I don't mind downloading 4 or 5 iso's if this is
> > necessary.
> >
> >Many thanks for any help with this problem.
>
> Do you know ikarios ?
>
> http://www.ikarios.com/p374-Debian.html
>
> hth.
> --
> Gérard

Well Ikarios have what I want, but only will accept payment by chéque
bancaire, and I can't use my carte bleue for paying online.

This is incredible in the 21st century. I have to write out a cheque, get on
my bike, and ride 20 mins to the post office, perhaps stand in a queue for 20
mins to buy a stamp (un timbre), then post it. 10 days later I may receive my
Debian disks.

I give up.

I have built a new machine, and have had problems with installing Fedfora 8,
Archlinux, and Kubuntu Gutsy Gibbon (7.10). Having got these distro's
installed, I want to get Debian Etch installed. I only have Woody 3.0.r2
discs, and don't want to go through the hassle of upgrading to Sarge, then
Etch, along with the transition from xfree86 to xorg again.

Oh to hell with Debian. I have Sarge, Etch, and Lenny on another machine, and
really wanted to see if there were problems installing Etch on my new
machine, where I've had problems installing other distros.

N.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:50 PM
Arthur A

I give up.
<snip>
Oh to hell with Debian.

> <snip>

N.

Problem solved.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:52 PM
"elijah r."

Debian Etch ISO images are available for download, completely free,
via the internet, just like those Fedora ISO's you are downloading.

I highly recommend you get the single Debian NetInstall ISO. Since
you are using a Dial-Up connection, this will be the fastest way to
install Debian.

On a side note, what kinds of problems were you running into when
installing other distros?

I had problems installing most distros on a computer I built that was
using a motherboard with a VIA C3 processor, which is missing the
"CMOV" instruction that some 686 binaries are compiled with.

Cheers,
Elijah