Old 07-21-2008, 02:35 PM
Monika Strack

Default ldap-slaves with different Versions

Hallo all,

I have one ldap master, that is run with slapd version 2.3.30-5+etch1 and some
slave-server with Version 2.2.23-8 (sarge). For this configuration the
replication is use slurpd. Now i have a new slave server with slapd version
2.4.7-6.2 (lenny). I want setup for this machine syncrepl.
I know, that this version of slapd can also use slurpd. But the installed
version has a bug for the modify command. If I want to upgrade slurpd, it
comes with many package wich also to upgrade. The Machine is a mix of lenny
and etch, so this is not so good.
So my question ist:
Can I use the same slapd.conf at the master for both slurpd and syncrepl
configuration?

It is a productive system and I can work only with cautious.

Thanks in advance

Monika
--
__________________________________________________ ______________________________
Monika Strack

31535 Neustadt e-mail: monika.strack@fli.bund.de
Germany Tel: +49 5034 /871 154
Fax: +49 5034 /871 239

Old 07-21-2008, 09:22 PM
Alex Samad

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 04:35:09PM +0200, Monika Strack wrote:
> Hallo all,
>
> I have one ldap master, that is run with slapd version 2.3.30-5+etch1 and some
> slave-server with Version 2.2.23-8 (sarge). For this configuration the
> replication is use slurpd. Now i have a new slave server with slapd version
> 2.4.7-6.2 (lenny). I want setup for this machine syncrepl.
> I know, that this version of slapd can also use slurpd. But the installed
> version has a bug for the modify command. If I want to upgrade slurpd, it
> comes with many package wich also to upgrade. The Machine is a mix of lenny
> and etch, so this is not so good.
> So my question ist:
> Can I use the same slapd.conf at the master for both slurpd and syncrepl
> configuration?
If I understand your question properly, the recommendation is to use the
same level on the master and the slave, especially the majour number

so 2.2 with 2.2 and not with 2.4, if you talk to the openldao guys they
will tell you to upgrade the whole thing to the latest level.

I would suggest getting a 2.4 from etch testing or stable on a test
machine as the master server, setup a slave and test your replication,
then move your data over and update you dns entries (ie don't remove the
old infrastructure) test for a while, when you happy, move the new
version of ldap over to the original boxes