Old 07-21-2008, 10:55 AM
Dominik Dera

Default 8139cp 0000:03:08.0: This (id 10ec:8139 rev 10) is not an 8139C+ compatible chip

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

>>> After one day of trying to dig up a solution for my problem. I have
>>> given up
>>
>> You might need a little more patience using Linux ;-).
>
> but once it's working, it'll work so well for so long that you'll
> forget how to fix it if it comes up again...
>

>>> Nothing seems to be working. I still get the same error message
>>> "8139cp 0000:03:08.0: This (id 10ec:8139 rev 10) is not an 8139C+
>>> compatible chip"
>>
>> You can blacklist the 8139cp module in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist file
>> (might need to create this if it doesn't already exist):
>>
>> blacklist 8139cp
>>
>> and if you have 8139too in /etc/modules then the boot process should
>> load that instead of 8139cp. I have checked on a machine which has an
>> 8139too NIC and that works for me. There's a package called nictools-pci
>> which has a file rtl8139-diag -- might be useful for fixing 8139 related
>> probs.
>>

> and the blacklisting won't work if the module is in your initrd! You
> at least need to run update-initramfs and you would probably be
> advised to unpack one to make *sure* it's not in there...

This problem can be solved by removing 8139cp module, and afterwards
updating initramfs. So it goes like this:

rmmod -v 8139cp
update-initramfs -uv

Old 07-21-2008, 12:24 PM
Nigel Henry

On Monday 21 July 2008 13:27, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Mon,21.Jul.08, 03:55:20, Dominik Dera wrote:
> > Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> > > and the blacklisting won't work if the module is in your initrd! You
> > > at least need to run update-initramfs and you would probably be
> > > advised to unpack one to make *sure* it's not in there...
> >
> > This problem can be solved by removing 8139cp module, and afterwards
> > updating initramfs. So it goes like this:
> >
> > rmmod -v 8139cp
> > update-initramfs -uv
>
> This will not survive a linux-image update.
>
> Regards,
> Andrei

Personally, I've never found any problems with both modules being loaded. I've
had to add 8139too to /etc/modules, and both are loaded, and I think the
bootup messages complain about 8139cp, and then goes on to say "using
8139too".

If the blacklisting won't work, I've had success with loading the unwanted
module to /bin/true, where it's loaded into nowhere land. Add a line to a
file in /etc/modprobe.d. I don't know if it matters which file you add it to,
and I put it, in the case of "pcspkr" in the alsa-base file. See below.

install 8139cp /bin/true

Nigel.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:30 PM
Nigel Henry

On Monday 21 July 2008 17:42, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 02:24:46PM +0200, Nigel Henry wrote:

> > > This will not survive a linux-image update.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Andrei
> >
> > Personally, I've never found any problems with both modules being loaded.
> > I've had to add 8139too to /etc/modules, and both are loaded, and I think
> > the bootup messages complain about 8139cp, and then goes on to say "using
> > 8139too".
> >
> > If the blacklisting won't work, I've had success with loading the
> > unwanted module to /bin/true, where it's loaded into nowhere land. Add a
> > line to a file in /etc/modprobe.d. I don't know if it matters which file
> > you add it to, and I put it, in the case of "pcspkr" in the alsa-base
> > file. See below.
> >
> > install 8139cp /bin/true
>
> make a "local" file in modprobe.d so that updates to those files won't
> bork your custom stuff.

Thanks for that suggestion Andrew. With Fedora it's easy, as it's all added
to /etc/modprobe.conf. I've always been a bit confused as to where to add
options lines, etc, in my Debian installs /etc/modprobe.d, as there are so
many files in this directory. Obviously some are a no-go, but it becomes a
bit hit and miss, like close your eyes, and stick a pin in. Ok I'll put the
option in this one.

I'll definately create a "local" file, and use this in the future.

Thanks again.

Nigel.