-   -   my ip was previously banned at http://forums.debian.net/ (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/128498-my-ip-previously-banned-http-forums-debian-net.html)

stabbyjones 07-21-2008 04:57 AM

my ip was previously banned at http://forums.debian.net/

I have a static ip from my new isp and apparently it's been banned
from http://forums.debian.net/

Is there any way to get it unbanned? because it's banned i can't find
any admin to contact and i can't browse posts. it also can't be
changed without paying.

alternatively a way to cut debian forums out of google search results
would stop me getting my hopes up.

Chris Burkhardt 07-21-2008 02:23 PM

stabbyjones wrote:

I have a static ip from my new isp and apparently it's been banned
from http://forums.debian.net/

Is there any way to get it unbanned? because it's banned i can't find
any admin to contact and i can't browse posts. it also can't be
changed without paying.

See if anyone at this address can help you out: admin@forums.debian.net

Also, you could access the forums through a proxy to read posts / query about
the status of your IP address.

- Chris

Paul Johnson 07-25-2008 01:20 AM

On Mon, 2008-07-21 at 14:57 +1000, stabbyjones wrote:
> I have a static ip from my new isp and apparently it's been banned
> from http://forums.debian.net/
>
> Is there any way to get it unbanned? because it's banned i can't find
> any admin to contact and i can't browse posts. it also can't be
> changed without paying.

And if it's the entire netblock that's banned, that might not even help.
Why bother with some unofficial forum when you've got the official
mailing list right here anyway? Way easier to use and manage than a
forum, and always accessable.

> alternatively a way to cut debian forums out of google search results
> would stop me getting my hopes up.

Append the string on the next line to the ends of searches to avoid
hitting that forum:

-site:forums.debian.net

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.ca

"Damon L. Chesser" 07-25-2008 02:21 AM

On Thu, 2008-07-24 at 18:20 -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-07-21 at 14:57 흍㒲횛漨꺋帢ᚯ禫⵪

Paul,

is your client hosed, or mine, or something else? The last two emails
you sent only showed what is quoted above. On my screen it looks like
asian writting and some block char and has one line.
--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com

Andrew Sackville-West 07-25-2008 05:16 AM

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 10:21:23PM -0400, Damon L. Chesser wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-07-24 at 18:20 -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:
> > On Mon, 2008-07-21 at 14:57 흍㒲횛漨꺋帢ᚯ禫⵪
>
> Paul,
>
> is your client hosed, or mine, or something else? The last two emails
> you sent only showed what is quoted above. On my screen it looks like
> asian writting and some block char and has one line.

well, Paul's original mail looks good here in mutt/urxvt, though what
you've quoted clearly doesn't look right...

Chris Burkhardt 07-25-2008 05:21 AM

Damon L. Chesser wrote:

is your client hosed, or mine, or something else?

It must be somewhere towards your end, because Paul's responses appear as
perfectly legible text/plain here. Is it only his emails that get mangled for you?

- Chris

Bob Cox 07-25-2008 06:15 AM

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 22:16:39 -0700, Andrew Sackville-West (andrew@farwestbilliards.com) wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 10:21:23PM -0400, Damon L. Chesser wrote:
> > On Thu, 2008-07-24 at 18:20 -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:
> > > On Mon, 2008-07-21 at 14:57 흍㒲횛漨꺋帢ᚯ禫⵪
> >
> > Paul,
> >
> > is your client hosed, or mine, or something else? The last two emails
> > you sent only showed what is quoted above. On my screen it looks like
> > asian writting and some block char and has one line.
>
> well, Paul's original mail looks good here in mutt/urxvt, though what
> you've quoted clearly doesn't look right...

Paul's messages appear fine here also, but comparing his messages with
those of others using GPG signing (and hence using quoted-printable),
the difference is that there is no 'charset' declared:

(Paul)

(Damon)

(Andrew)

(Various others)

(One other)

And so on.

With no charset value, maybe the strange characters are because of some
weird default character set on the system used to view the message?

Paul Cartwright 07-25-2008 11:39 AM

On Fri July 25 2008, Bob Cox wrote:

> And so on.
>
> With no charset value, maybe the strange characters are because of some
> weird default character set on the system used to view the message?

I have also seen those on some threads here, and no place else.. at first I
thought it was S * P * A * M so I just deleted them. Then I realized it was
an actual thread..
I can't find one right now, but it did look like that top line..

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800