Old 07-21-2008, 12:56 AM
Cameron Hutchison

Default apt-get/aptitude bustage with gnucash

"Eugene V. Lyubimkin" <jackyf.devel@gmail.com> writes:

>Cameron Hutchison wrote:
>>
>> At the moment there is a new gnucash-common (2.2.4-2) but no new gnucash
>> package to match. Normally that's ok and apt will not upgrade
>> gnucash-common, but for some reason, this time it wants to upgrade
>> gnucash-common and remove gnucash to resolve the conflict.
>>
>I can say wrong, but dist-upgrade (or full-upgrade) can remove the packages.
>Try 'aptitude safe-upgrade'.

I am aware that dist-upgrade can remove packages, but I thought this is
only when other packages replace them.

In this case, there is no replacement, only a conflict. Usually I see
this state as broken with aptitude giving options to work around the
breakage - often holding back or removing packages.

There was no conflict given for gnucash[-common] today and
aptitude/apt-get was just going to remove gnucash without prompting me
for a resolution. This seems wrong, and was the point of my original
posting.

Old 07-21-2008, 01:27 AM
Daniel Burrows

On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 09:36:15PM -0000, Cameron Hutchison <lists@xdna.net> was heard to say:
> I have just attempted a dist-upgrade with bost apt-get and aptitude,
> and both of them want to remove gnucash from my system (sid). This seems
> to be busted.
>
> At the moment there is a new gnucash-common (2.2.4-2) but no new gnucash
> package to match.*Normally that's ok and apt will not upgrade
> gnucash-common, but for some reason, this time it wants to upgrade
> gnucash-common and remove gnucash to resolve the conflict.

The basic problem is that you have a brain and apt* don't. Sometimes
it's necessary to remove some packages in order to get an upgrade to go
through for one reason or another. When you run a dist-upgrade or
full-upgrade, apt will aggressively try to upgrade as many packages as
possible, even if it has to remove a few in order to do so. This is
where the brain comes in: you know the informal, contextual fact that
gnucash-common makes no sense without gnucash, but apt doesn't have
access to this information. So it figures that it can get another
upgrade to go through by throwing away gnucash.

There are weights against generally removing packages, but because apt
lacks a brain they sometimes fail to prevent it from being stupid (or
they just cause it to be stupid in a more conservative way). I don't
know for sure what your situation is -- but I know that aptitude tries
hard to avoid doing nothing on a full-upgrade, so if the gnucash-common
upgrade is the only thing available it'll pull out all the stops trying
to find a way to include it.

Daniel