Old 07-20-2008, 09:36 PM
Cameron Hutchison

Default apt-get/aptitude bustage with gnucash

I have just attempted a dist-upgrade with bost apt-get and aptitude,
and both of them want to remove gnucash from my system (sid). This seems
to be busted.

At the moment there is a new gnucash-common (2.2.4-2) but no new gnucash
package to match.*Normally that's ok and apt will not upgrade
gnucash-common, but for some reason, this time it wants to upgrade
gnucash-common and remove gnucash to resolve the conflict.

gnucash-common 2.4.4-2 has the following deps:
Replaces: gnucash (<< 1.8.8-5)
Recommends: gnucash (>= 2.2.4-2)
Conflicts: gnucash (<< 2.2.4-2)

So, this conflicts with gnucash 2.2.4-1 (currently installed) but does
not replace it. So why would apt remove gnucash? I thought apt was only
meant to remove a package itself when another replaces it.

Is this a bug in apt?

BTW. I'm not looking for any solutions here - i'll just wait until
tomorrow or the next day and the problem will go away. I've just never
seem apt try to remove something I want installed without there being a
replacement.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:39 PM
"Eugene V. Lyubimkin"

Cameron Hutchison wrote:
> I have just attempted a dist-upgrade with bost apt-get and aptitude,
> and both of them want to remove gnucash from my system (sid). This seems
> to be busted.
>
> At the moment there is a new gnucash-common (2.2.4-2) but no new gnucash
> package to match. Normally that's ok and apt will not upgrade
> gnucash-common, but for some reason, this time it wants to upgrade
> gnucash-common and remove gnucash to resolve the conflict.
>
> gnucash-common 2.4.4-2 has the following deps:
> Replaces: gnucash (<< 1.8.8-5)
> Recommends: gnucash (>= 2.2.4-2)
> Conflicts: gnucash (<< 2.2.4-2)
>
> So, this conflicts with gnucash 2.2.4-1 (currently installed) but does
> not replace it. So why would apt remove gnucash? I thought apt was only
> meant to remove a package itself when another replaces it.
>
> Is this a bug in apt?
>
> BTW. I'm not looking for any solutions here - i'll just wait until
> tomorrow or the next day and the problem will go away. I've just never
> seem apt try to remove something I want installed without there being a
> replacement.

I can say wrong, but dist-upgrade (or full-upgrade) can remove the packages. Try 'aptitude
safe-upgrade'.

--
Eugene V. Lyubimkin aka JackYF, Ukrainian C++ developer.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:58 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 09:36:15PM -0000, Cameron Hutchison wrote:
> I have just attempted a dist-upgrade with bost apt-get and aptitude,
> and both of them want to remove gnucash from my system (sid). This seems
> to be busted.
>
> At the moment there is a new gnucash-common (2.2.4-2) but no new gnucash
> package to match.*Normally that's ok and apt will not upgrade
> gnucash-common, but for some reason, this time it wants to upgrade
> gnucash-common and remove gnucash to resolve the conflict.
>
> gnucash-common 2.4.4-2 has the following deps:
> Replaces: gnucash (<< 1.8.8-5)
> Recommends: gnucash (>= 2.2.4-2)
> Conflicts: gnucash (<< 2.2.4-2)
>
> So, this conflicts with gnucash 2.2.4-1 (currently installed) but does
> not replace it. So why would apt remove gnucash? I thought apt was only
> meant to remove a package itself when another replaces it.
>
> Is this a bug in apt?
>
> BTW. I'm not looking for any solutions here - i'll just wait until
> tomorrow or the next day and the problem will go away.

I think so. It looks okay to me here. I get no conflict upgrading
gnucash as of 3:00 pm pacific us time.