-   -   Seg fault (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/128348-seg-fault.html)

Frank 07-20-2008 08:10 PM

Seg fault

After the latest upgrades to Sid. I am getting a segmentation fault
running (or trying to run) my mail reader Sylpheed.

Where to start looking ??

Cheers

Frank

Andrew Sackville-West 07-20-2008 08:17 PM

Seg fault

On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 04:10:08PM -0400, Frank wrote:
> After the latest upgrades to Sid. I am getting a segmentation fault
> running (or trying to run) my mail reader Sylpheed.
>
> Where to start looking ??

have you logged out and back in yet? restarted X yet? maybe even
restarted the machine yet?

that's where I'd start.

Frank 07-20-2008 08:19 PM

Seg fault

Frank wrote:
After the latest upgrades to Sid. I am getting a segmentation fault
running (or trying to run) my mail reader Sylpheed.

Where to start looking ??

I have since discovered I can run Sylpheed as root.

Cheers

Frank

Kent West 07-20-2008 08:25 PM

Seg fault

Frank wrote:

Frank wrote:
After the latest upgrades to Sid. I am getting a segmentation fault
running (or trying to run) my mail reader Sylpheed.

Where to start looking ??

I have since discovered I can run Sylpheed as root.

FYI: I'm seeing similar problems with Iceweasel. I can run it as root,
or I can run it from within Icewm, but I can not run it as normal user
from within KDE.

--
Kent

Anders Lagerås 07-20-2008 08:29 PM

Seg fault

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 22:20:20 +0200
Frank <debian@videotron.ca> wrote:

> After the latest upgrades to Sid. I am getting a segmentation fault
> running (or trying to run) my mail reader Sylpheed.
>
> Where to start looking ??
Use reportbug to report the bug.

Then downgrade libgkt2.0 to 2.12.10-2 that will solve the problem for
now.

--
Anders Lagerås

Andrew Sackville-West 07-20-2008 08:29 PM

Seg fault

please reply to the list instead of to me directly.

On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 04:22:24PM -0400, Frank wrote:
> Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
>> On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 04:10:08PM -0400, Frank wrote:
>>> After the latest upgrades to Sid. I am getting a segmentation fault
>>> running (or trying to run) my mail reader Sylpheed.
>>>
>>> Where to start looking ??
>>
>> have you logged out and back in yet? restarted X yet? maybe even
>> restarted the machine yet?
>

> Yup. Machine has been restarted - but as I just noted, Sylpheed runs
> as root, just not as a user.

hmmm... permissions issue that causes a segfault? that's ugly. you
might look at the last few lines of an strace to see what it's trying
to access that cuases the segfault.

that's all I got.

"Damon L. Chesser" 07-20-2008 08:29 PM

Seg fault

On Sunday 20 July 2008 04:19:09 pm Frank wrote:
> Frank wrote:
> > After the latest upgrades to Sid. I am getting a segmentation fault
> > running (or trying to run) my mail reader Sylpheed.
> >
> > Where to start looking ??
>
> I have since discovered I can run Sylpheed as root.
>
> Cheers
>

> Frank

Frank,

I can't tell if you still have the issue or not, but if you do, open a term
and type "sylpheed" or "claws-mail" if you are running claws. What does that
exit message say?

if it only shows "segmentation fault", then issue strace sylpheed then look
through the last part of strace to see what is killing slypheed.

HTH

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com

Frank 07-20-2008 08:42 PM

Seg fault

Damon L. Chesser wrote:

After the latest upgrades to Sid. I am getting a segmentation fault
running (or trying to run) my mail reader Sylpheed.

Where to start looking ??

I have since discovered I can run Sylpheed as root.

Cheers

Frank

Frank,

I can't tell if you still have the issue or not, but if you do, open a term
and type "sylpheed" or "claws-mail" if you are running claws. What does that
exit message say?

if it only shows "segmentation fault", then issue strace sylpheed then look
through the last part of strace to see what is killing slypheed.

HTH

strace output:

open("/usr/share/icons/DMZ-White/cursors/xterm", O_RDONLY) = 8
fstat64(8, {st_mode=S_IFREG|0644, st_size=15776, ...}) = 0
mmap2(NULL, 4096, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_ANONYMOUS, -1,
0) = 0xb6d39000
read(8,
"Xcur20132375377300042375377
"..., 4096) = 4096

_llseek(8, 0, [0], SEEK_SET) = 0
read(8,
"Xcur20132375377300042375377
"..., 4096) = 4096

close(8) = 0
munmap(0xb6d39000, 4096) = 0
--- SIGSEGV (Segmentation fault) @ 0 (0) ---
+++ killed by SIGSEGV +++

Cheers

Frank

Frank 07-20-2008 09:23 PM

Seg fault

Anders Lagerås wrote:

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 22:20:20 +0200
After the latest upgrades to Sid. I am getting a segmentation fault
running (or trying to run) my mail reader Sylpheed.

Where to start looking ??

Use reportbug to report the bug.

Then downgrade libgkt2.0 to 2.12.10-2 that will solve the problem for
now.

Bug report on it's way

What's the easiest way to downgrade? I have never had to do this.

Cheers

Frank

Anders Lagerås 07-20-2008 09:46 PM

Seg fault

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 17:23:17 -0400
Frank <debian@videotron.ca> wrote:

> Anders Lagerås wrote:
> Bug report on it's way
>
> What's the easiest way to downgrade? I have never had to do this.
Using aptitude is the easiest way.
If you select the libgtk row and press enter will the description show
up. At the bottom of the page are the "Versions of libgtk" listed.
Select the row of the version you want and use + on the numeric keypad
to select it and then g to install.
= to put packets on hold to prevent them from being updated can also be
useful.

--
Mvh Anders Lagerås