Old 07-20-2008, 08:20 PM
Kent West

Default debian/unstable: iceweasel segmentation fault

Kent West wrote:

Bruno Voigt wrote:

I'm currently not able to start iceweasel

ii iceweasel
3.0.1-1 lightweight web browser based
on Mozilla
ii iceweasel-gnome-support
3.0.1-1 Support for GNOME in Iceweasel

New clue.

I just discovered that "sudo iceweasel" works.

New, new clue.

I just discovered that if I shut down KDE and fire up icewm instead,
iceweasel works.

My problem originally started when I did an "aptitude upgrade".

Last night and today I've been doing an "aptitude dist-upgrade", which
removed the meta-package "kde", and who knows what all else related to KDE.

So now I'm in the process of doing an "aptitude install kde" to restore
280 MB worth of KDE-related packages; hopefully once that's finished,
iceweasel will work once again from within KDE.

--
Kent

Old 07-20-2008, 08:34 PM
Kent West

Frank wrote:

Kent West wrote:

New clue.

I just discovered that "sudo iceweasel" works.

My problems sounds like yours...except I can run Iceweasel. It's
Sylpheed I can't run...except as root.

I'm not seeing my messages getting through to debian-user, so I'm CC:ing
Frank on this.

I've also discovered it seems to be related to KDE; I can run Iceweasel
as a normal user from within Icewm, but not from within KDE.

--
Kent

Old 07-20-2008, 08:54 PM
Florian Kulzer

On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 15:11:20 -0500, Kent West wrote:
> Kent West wrote:
>> Kent West wrote:

[...]

[...]

>> westk@enjae:~$ sudo ldconfig -pNX | grep local
>> westk@enjae:~$ sudo /sbin/ldconfig -pNX | grep local
>> westk@enjae:~$
>>
>> No output.

That looks OK; I was suspecting that you might have an outdated or
otherwise broken non-Debian library in /use/local/lib.

> New clue.
>
> I just discovered that "sudo iceweasel" works.

Maybe this will clear things up, then: Strace iceweasel again as your
normal user, like this:

strace -f iceweasel 2>iceweasel.strace

After it has crashed, grep for "EACCES" in the strace file; that should
tell you which files it cannot access due to permissions problems.

Florian |

Old 07-20-2008, 09:01 PM
Florian Kulzer

On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 20:27:12 +0200, Bruno Voigt wrote:
> Florian Kulzer wrote:

[...]

> root@wks:~# ldconfig -pNX | grep local
> libsvn_ra_local-1.so.1 (libc6) => /usr/lib/libsvn_ra_local-1.so.1
> libspandsp.so.0 (libc6) => /usr/local/lib/libspandsp.so.0
> libspandsp.so (libc6) => /usr/local/lib/libspandsp.so
> libiax.so.0 (libc6) => /usr/local/lib/libiax.so.0
> libiax.so (libc6) => /usr/local/lib/libiax.so

OK, you have non-Debian versions of svn, and asterisk libraries. I would
think that this should not matter for iceweasel.

[...]

> I do not know if it is relevant,
> I'm using a custom kernel configuration.
>
> bruno@wks:~/$ uname -a
> Linux wks.voigt.tv 2.6.24.4-wks.voigt.tv #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon May 26
> 23:57:30 CEST 2008 i686 GNU/Linux
>
> Iceweasel 3.0~rc2 worked on it until some unstable update about 14-20
> days ago.

Based on what Kent has posted, can you run iceweasel as root?

Florian |

Old 07-21-2008, 05:54 AM
Kent West

Kent West wrote:

Bruno Voigt wrote:

I'm currently not able to start iceweasel

ii iceweasel
3.0.1-1 lightweight web browser based on
Mozilla
ii iceweasel-gnome-support
3.0.1-1 Support for GNOME in Iceweasel

Same result as with 3.0~rc2-2 0:

bruno@wks:~$ iceweasel

Segmentation fault

bruno@wks:~$ iceweasel -safe
Segmentation fault

System ist debian/unstable uptodate.

On other debian/unstable systems it still works.

I just updated a box yesterday and am seeing the same problem. I
haven't had time to debug it yet, but one thing I noticed is that when
I run ldd against /usr/bin/iceweasel, it dies also. This leads me to
believe the problem is deeper than a mere iceweasel problem.

I wasn't able to do as much testing today as I would have preferred. But
after an "aptitude dist-upgrade" followed by an "aptitude install kde",
iceweasel ...

works as normal user in Gnome
does not work as normal user in KDE
does not work as sudo in KDE when KDE started from KDM (sudo can't
access display 0:0)

does work as sudo in KDE when started from startx

I hope to be able to track down the problem further late Tuesday; in the
meanwhile, I've started the user in KDE via startx and showed her how to
start iceweasel using sudo.

--
Kent West <")))><

Old 07-21-2008, 06:51 AM
Bruno Voigt

Florian Kulzer wrote:
> Based on what Kent has posted, can you run iceweasel as root?

Yes. that works.
I am also using KDE, the kde package was in state pn,
so I reinstalled it.
Iceweasel still crashes when run as normal user.

> After it has crashed, grep for "EACCES" in the strace file; that should
> tell you which files it cannot access due to permissions problems.

In my normal user trace I see no EACCES.

WR,
Bruno

Old 07-21-2008, 09:06 AM
Florian Kulzer

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 08:51:49 +0200, Bruno Voigt wrote:
> Florian Kulzer wrote:
> > Based on what Kent has posted, can you run iceweasel as root?
> >
> Yes. that works.
> I am also using KDE, the kde package was in state pn,
> so I reinstalled it.
> Iceweasel still crashes when run as normal user.
>
> > After it has crashed, grep for "EACCES" in the strace file; that should
> > tell you which files it cannot access due to permissions problems.
>
> In my normal user trace I see no EACCES.

Well, so much for that idea...

Maybe this is related to arts; I now remember that I had problems with
iceweasel a while back when I tried to get sound from a bluetooth
headset via artsdsp.

Try to run it like this:

ICEWEASEL_DSP=none iceweasel

I use KDE 3.5.9 myself and iceweasel works fine. However, if I set
ICEWEASEL_DSP=artsdsp then I get a segfault, too. The strace output of
that looks similar to yours; it also ends with an lstat of
/usr/lib/iceweasel, followed by a futex and a SIGSEGV.

Florian |

Old 07-21-2008, 12:16 PM
Bruno Voigt

Florian Kulzer wrote:
> Well, so much for that idea...
>
> Maybe this is related to arts; I now remember that I had problems with
> iceweasel a while back when I tried to get sound from a bluetooth
> headset via artsdsp.
>
> Try to run it like this:
>
> ICEWEASEL_DSP=none iceweasel
>
> I use KDE 3.5.9 myself and iceweasel works fine. However, if I set
> ICEWEASEL_DSP=artsdsp then I get a segfault, too. The strace output of
> that looks similar to yours; it also ends with an lstat of
> /usr/lib/iceweasel, followed by a futex and a SIGSEGV.

That works - Great !

Are you using Iceweasel with sound ?
What alternative did you configure?
Where may I change this configuration globally?

Just in /etc/profile specifically for iceweasel
or somewhere (KDE Control Center?) for all apps?

Florian, Thanks a lot for your investigation !

WR,
Bruno

Old 07-21-2008, 04:30 PM
Florian Kulzer

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 14:16:12 +0200, Bruno Voigt wrote:
> Florian Kulzer wrote:

[...]

> > Try to run it like this:
> >
> > ICEWEASEL_DSP=none iceweasel

[...]

> That works - Great !
>
> Are you using Iceweasel with sound ?

Yes, I just let it use the ALSA devices directly. That should work with
all recent versions of ALSA without blocking other processes from
accessing the sound devices at the same time. I can hear different
inputs at the same time, e.g. the soundtrack of a youtube video, a song
played by amarok, and a KDE system sound played by artsd. ALSA should
automatically use software mixing to achieve this if your hardware
cannot mix the input streams directly. If you cannot hear sound from
iceweasel with dsp=none then you can check which other processes are
concurrently accessing audio devices:

lsof $(find /dev/ -group audio)

You can then try to kill the other process(es) and restart iceweasel. If
there should be a conflict with artsd then you might have to activate
auto-suspend-if-idle with a short time (e.g. 5 seconds) in the KDE Sound
System configuration.

> What alternative did you configure?

I do not set ICEWEASEL_DSP anywhere, so iceweasel uses the default value
of "none". Did you configure anything for this environmental variable?
Check it with "env | grep ICE".

> Where may I change this configuration globally?
>
> Just in /etc/profile specifically for iceweasel
> or somewhere (KDE Control Center?) for all apps?

I would set it both in your shell's profile/rc-file and in
~/.kde/env/env.sh, see "man startkde". (The setting in the shell
profile/rc will not work if you start iceweasel from a desktop menu or
by clicking an icon.) Make sure you use "export ICEWEASEL_DSP=none".

Florian |

Old 07-21-2008, 06:20 PM
Chris Bannister

On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 10:54:23PM +0200, Florian Kulzer wrote:

> [...]
>
> >> westk@enjae:~$ sudo ldconfig -pNX | grep local
> >> westk@enjae:~$ sudo /sbin/ldconfig -pNX | grep local
> >> westk@enjae:~$
> >>
> >> No output.
>
> That looks OK; I was suspecting that you might have an outdated or
> otherwise broken non-Debian library in /use/local/lib.

eeeek!

root@box:~# ldconfig -pNX | grep local
libfuse.so.2 (libc6) => /usr/local/lib/libfuse.so.2
libfuse.so (libc6) => /usr/local/lib/libfuse.so
libXfont.so.0 (libc6) => /usr/local/lib/libXfont.so.0
libXdmcp.so.0 (libc6) => /usr/local/lib/libXdmcp.so.0
libXawM.so.1 (libc6) => /usr/local/lib/libXawM.so.1
libXau.so.0 (libc6) => /usr/local/lib/libXau.so.0
libMowitz.so.0 (libc6) => /usr/local/lib/libMowitz.so.0

double eeeeeeek!

root@box:~# cd /usr/local/
root@box:/usr/local# ls -al
total 56
drwxrwsr-x 14 root staff 4096 2006-04-21 09:51 .
drwxr-xr-x 14 root root 4096 2008-06-23 00:35 ..
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2006-04-21 04:53 afm
drwxr-sr-x 2 root staff 4096 2007-10-18 06:39 bin
drwxr-xr-x 2 chrisb postfix 4096 2005-08-22 15:00 etc
drwxr-xr-x 12 chrisb postfix 4096 2008-01-01 23:57 firefox
drwxrwsr-x 2 root staff 4096 2001-04-15 12:45 include
drwxr-sr-x 2 root staff 4096 2006-04-21 09:51 ind
drwxrwsr-x 6 root staff 4096 2008-07-07 20:24 lib
drwxr-xr-x 2 root staff 4096 2004-03-07 21:21 man
drwxrwsr-x 2 root staff 4096 2001-04-15 12:45 sbin
drwxrwsr-x 6 root staff 4096 2008-03-15 04:44 share
drwxrwsr-x 2 root staff 4096 2001-04-15 12:45 src
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2006-04-21 09:53 Ted

*Now* I know why its called Damn Small Linux. :-)

--
Chris.
======