-   -   Firefox/Iceweasel 3: agony of the snail (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/128082-firefox-iceweasel-3-agony-snail.html)

Jim McCloskey 07-20-2008 07:24 AM

Firefox/Iceweasel 3: agony of the snail

An upgrade to testing this afternoon unexpectedly brought me
Firefox/Iceweasel 3.0, which was fairly exciting. Here, though, it is
just agonizingly slow---10-12 seconds between clicking `Bookmarks' in
the Toolbar and the display of the menu. Scrolling through:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2008/07/thrd4.html

is like wading through thick, thick mud. When one moves from screen to
screen, iceweasel/firefox takes about 7 or 8 seconds to redraw its
window. It's really unusable.

Is anyone else seeing this?

Epiphany behaves similarly, but Konqueror and Mozilla are wonderfully
fast, suggesting that the problem (whatever it is) lies with Gecko.

This last suspicion was confirmed when I installed epiphany-webkit and
called it explicitly. It was just as fast as Konqueror and Mozilla.

Upgrading to 3.0.1 in unstable makes matters, if anything, worse.

Downgrading to version 2.0 in stable restores normal speed and usability.

The problem is the same in the binary version available directly from mozilla.org.

sigh

Jim

Florian Kulzer 07-20-2008 11:09 AM

On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 00:24:33 -0700, Jim McCloskey wrote:

> An upgrade to testing this afternoon unexpectedly brought me
> Firefox/Iceweasel 3.0, which was fairly exciting. Here, though, it is
> just agonizingly slow---10-12 seconds between clicking `Bookmarks' in
> the Toolbar and the display of the menu. Scrolling through:
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2008/07/thrd4.html
>
> is like wading through thick, thick mud. When one moves from screen to
> screen, iceweasel/firefox takes about 7 or 8 seconds to redraw its
> window. It's really unusable.
>
> Is anyone else seeing this?
>
> Epiphany behaves similarly, but Konqueror and Mozilla are wonderfully
> fast, suggesting that the problem (whatever it is) lies with Gecko.
>
> This last suspicion was confirmed when I installed epiphany-webkit and
> called it explicitly. It was just as fast as Konqueror and Mozilla.
>
> Upgrading to 3.0.1 in unstable makes matters, if anything, worse.
>
> Downgrading to version 2.0 in stable restores normal speed and usability.
>
> The problem is the same in the binary version available directly from mozilla.org.

I suspect that this might have something to do with your video driver
and the acceleration method that is used. Please post the output of
these two commands:

grep -B1 -A4 'drivers/' /var/log/Xorg.0.log

grep 'Accel|XAA|EXA' /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Florian |

Hugo Vanwoerkom 07-20-2008 02:46 PM

Florian Kulzer wrote:

[...]

Very good point:

/home/hugoSun Jul 20-09:43:32SDB5# grep -B1 -A4 'drivers/'
/var/log/Xorg.0.log

(II) LoadModule: "nvidia"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//nvidia_drv.so
(II) Module nvidia: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
Module class: X.Org Video Driver
(II) LoadModule: "evdev"
/home/hugoSun Jul 20-09:43:38SDB5# grep 'Accel|XAA|EXA'
/var/log/Xorg.0.log

(**) NVIDIA(0): Option "RenderAccel" "True"
(II) NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA 3D Acceleration Architecture Initialized
/home/hugoSun Jul 20-09:44:17SDB5#

I see no performance problems with latest Sid IW.

Hugo

Ron Johnson 07-20-2008 02:56 PM

On 07/20/08 09:46, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Florian Kulzer wrote:
[snip]

>> I suspect that this might have something to do with your video driver
>> and the acceleration method that is used. Please post the output of
>> these two commands:
>>
>> grep -B1 -A4 'drivers/' /var/log/Xorg.0.log
>>
>> grep 'Accel|XAA|EXA' /var/log/Xorg.0.log
>>

> Very good point:
>
> /home/hugoSun Jul 20-09:43:32SDB5# grep -B1 -A4 'drivers/'
> /var/log/Xorg.0.log
> (II) LoadModule: "nvidia"
> (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//nvidia_drv.so
> (II) Module nvidia: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
> compiled for 4.0.2, module version = 1.0.0
> Module class: X.Org Video Driver
> (II) LoadModule: "evdev"
> /home/hugoSun Jul 20-09:43:38SDB5# grep 'Accel|XAA|EXA'
> /var/log/Xorg.0.log
> (**) NVIDIA(0): Option "RenderAccel" "True"
> (II) NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA 3D Acceleration Architecture Initialized
> /home/hugoSun Jul 20-09:44:17SDB5#
>
> I see no performance problems with latest Sid IW.

I also see good video performance.

$ grep -B1 -A4 'drivers/' /var/log/Xorg.0.log
(II) LoadModule: "nvidia"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//nvidia_drv.so
(II) Module nvidia: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
Module class: X.Org Video Driver
(II) LoadModule: "kbd"

$ grep 'Accel|XAA|EXA' /var/log/Xorg.0.log
(II) NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA 3D Acceleration Architecture Initialized
(WW) NVIDIA(0): Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" is not used

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

York is doomed."

Carl Fink 07-20-2008 04:44 PM

On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 12:24:33AM -0700, Jim McCloskey wrote:

> An upgrade to testing this afternoon unexpectedly brought me
> Firefox/Iceweasel 3.0, which was fairly exciting. Here, though, it is
> just agonizingly slow---10-12 seconds between clicking `Bookmarks' in
> the Toolbar and the display of the menu. Scrolling through:
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2008/07/thrd4.html
>
> is like wading through thick, thick mud. When one moves from screen to
> screen, iceweasel/firefox takes about 7 or 8 seconds to redraw its
> window. It's really unusable.
>
> Is anyone else seeing this?
>
> Epiphany behaves similarly, but Konqueror and Mozilla are wonderfully
> fast, suggesting that the problem (whatever it is) lies with Gecko.
>
> This last suspicion was confirmed when I installed epiphany-webkit and
> called it explicitly. It was just as fast as Konqueror and Mozilla.
>
> Upgrading to 3.0.1 in unstable makes matters, if anything, worse.
>
> Downgrading to version 2.0 in stable restores normal speed and usability.
>
> The problem is the same in the binary version available directly from mozilla.org.

In my case, a reboot was required to load the new versions of about a dozen
libraries. (Killing and restarting X did not do it.) Once I did that,
weird rendering problems in Gecko went away. It can't hurt.
--
Carl Fink nitpicking@nitpicking.com

Stupid mistakes you can correct!

Bill Wohler 07-20-2008 04:59 PM

Jim McCloskey <mcclosk@ucsc.edu> writes:

> An upgrade to testing this afternoon unexpectedly brought me
> Firefox/Iceweasel 3.0, which was fairly exciting. Here, though, it is
> just agonizingly slow---10-12 seconds between clicking `Bookmarks' in
> the Toolbar and the display of the menu. Scrolling through:
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2008/07/thrd4.html
>
> is like wading through thick, thick mud. When one moves from screen to
> screen, iceweasel/firefox takes about 7 or 8 seconds to redraw its
> window. It's really unusable.
>
> Is anyone else seeing this?

Nope.

$ grep -B1 -A4 'drivers/' /var/log/Xorg.0.log
(II) LoadModule: "radeon"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//radeon_drv.so
(II) Module radeon: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
Module class: X.Org Video Driver
ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 2.0
$ grep 'Accel|XAA|EXA' /var/log/Xorg.0.log
(==) RADEON(0): Using XAA acceleration architecture
(II) RADEON(0): Using XFree86 Acceleration Architecture (XAA)
(II) RADEON(0): Acceleration enabled

It sounds like others are OK too. The good news is that once you get
your X drivers straightened out, your entire UI experience will
probably improve dramatically.

Florian, thanks for the grep examples. I didn't know about the -B and
-A flags, and they are bound to be handy!

--
Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com> http://www.newt.com/wohler/ GnuPG ID:610BD9AD

Ron Johnson 07-20-2008 05:22 PM

Firefox/Iceweasel 3: agony of the snail

"Kelly Clowers" 07-20-2008 05:37 PM

On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 12:24 AM, Jim McCloskey <mcclosk@ucsc.edu> wrote:

> An upgrade to testing this afternoon unexpectedly brought me
> Firefox/Iceweasel 3.0, which was fairly exciting. Here, though, it is
> just agonizingly slow---10-12 seconds between clicking `Bookmarks' in
> the Toolbar and the display of the menu. Scrolling through:
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2008/07/thrd4.html
>
> is like wading through thick, thick mud. When one moves from screen to
> screen, iceweasel/firefox takes about 7 or 8 seconds to redraw its
> window. It's really unusable.
>
> Is anyone else seeing this?

I have not seen this.

> Epiphany behaves similarly, but Konqueror and Mozilla are wonderfully
> fast, suggesting that the problem (whatever it is) lies with Gecko.

If Mozilla is fast then the problem is in your FF installation, not in Gecko.

> This last suspicion was confirmed when I installed epiphany-webkit and
> called it explicitly. It was just as fast as Konqueror and Mozilla.
>
> Upgrading to 3.0.1 in unstable makes matters, if anything, worse.
>
> Downgrading to version 2.0 in stable restores normal speed and usability.
>
> The problem is the same in the binary version available directly from mozilla.org.

Have you tried cleaning your profile or tried a new profile? And as some others
said, restarting can sometimes fix issues with old libraries being
used, although
theoretically it shouldn't be needed.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers

Florian Kulzer 07-20-2008 05:44 PM

On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 09:59:22 -0700, Bill Wohler wrote:
> Jim McCloskey writes:
>
> > An upgrade to testing this afternoon unexpectedly brought me
> > Firefox/Iceweasel 3.0, which was fairly exciting. Here, though, it is
> > just agonizingly slow---10-12 seconds between clicking `Bookmarks' in
> > the Toolbar and the display of the menu. Scrolling through:
> >
> > http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2008/07/thrd4.html
> >
> > is like wading through thick, thick mud. When one moves from screen to
> > screen, iceweasel/firefox takes about 7 or 8 seconds to redraw its
> > window. It's really unusable.
> >
> > Is anyone else seeing this?
>
> Nope.
>
> $ grep -B1 -A4 'drivers/' /var/log/Xorg.0.log
> (II) LoadModule: "radeon"

[...]

> (==) RADEON(0): Using XAA acceleration architecture
> (II) RADEON(0): Using XFree86 Acceleration Architecture (XAA)
> (II) RADEON(0): Acceleration enabled
>
> It sounds like others are OK too. The good news is that once you get
> your X drivers straightened out, your entire UI experience will
> probably improve dramatically.

OK, our mini-survey so far:

nvidia driver using nvidia's RenderAccel: fine (Hugo, Ron)
radeon driver with XAA: fine (Bill)

My experience with Intel 82Q963/Q965 and the Xorg intel driver:

with EXA: not as bad as what Jim describes, but slow enough to seriously
deteriorate the browsing experience

with XAA: generally quite fast, only web sites with excessive use of
background images slow it down noticeably, but not unbearably

Jim, if you have an intel card and use EXA (the default these days) then
a switch to XAA will improve your browsing experience significantly.

Florian |

Nick Lidakis 07-20-2008 06:01 PM

Firefox/Iceweasel 3: agony of the snail

Ron Johnson wrote:

Most of you will yawn, and think, "there he goes again", but this
why I don't like display managers.

Can you elaborate? With a display manager one cannot kill X to make new
changes, like the aforementioned libraries, to take effect?