-   -   Loss of Flash Player capabilities in IW3.0 (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/127853-loss-flash-player-capabilities-iw3-0-a.html)

Robin 07-19-2008 07:34 PM

2008/7/19 Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com>:
> On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 08:11:47PM +0100, andy wrote:
>> Greetings
>>
>> The following is one of a number of sites (including, for example, parts
>> of the NASA site) where I am told that my version of Flash Player is
>> outdated: "You need the latest Flash Player plugin to view the
>> multimedia content of this site."
>
>> http://science.nationalgeographic.com/science/environment/global-warming/gw-impacts-interactive.html
>
> do you have flashplayer at all? That is, does it show up in
> about:plugins? I noticed that abunch of flashpages weren't working on
> my laptop, and started poking around. It seems that the package
> flashplugin-nonfree (from debian repos) is not working with IW3.0 but
> marillat's flashplayer-mozilla package (from his repos) is working.
>
> hth

Flashplugin-nonfree is working here now, version 1:1.6.2 with IW 3.0.1-1.

--
rob

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/team/viewTeamInfo.do?teamId=82BS4ZCMFR1

Ron Johnson 07-19-2008 09:32 PM

Loss of Flash Player capabilities in IW3.0

Nyizsnyik Ferenc 07-19-2008 09:46 PM

Loss of Flash Player capabilities in IW3.0

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 20:34:51 +0100
Robin <rc.rattusrattus@googlemail.com> wrote:

> 2008/7/19 Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com>:
> > On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 08:11:47PM +0100, andy wrote:
> >> Greetings
> >>
> >> The following is one of a number of sites (including, for example,
> >> parts of the NASA site) where I am told that my version of Flash
> >> Player is outdated: "You need the latest Flash Player plugin to
> >> view the multimedia content of this site."
> >
> >> http://science.nationalgeographic.com/science/environment/global-warming/gw-impacts-interactive.html
> >
> > do you have flashplayer at all? That is, does it show up in
> > about:plugins? I noticed that abunch of flashpages weren't working
> > on my laptop, and started poking around. It seems that the package
> > flashplugin-nonfree (from debian repos) is not working with IW3.0
> > but marillat's flashplayer-mozilla package (from his repos) is
> > working.
> >
> > hth

> Flashplugin-nonfree is working here now, version 1:1.6.2 with IW
> 3.0.1-1.

Same here. Scripts have to be allowed though, if you have NoScript
installed.

--
Nyizsa.
http://nyizsa.uni.cc

Hugo Vanwoerkom 07-19-2008 11:08 PM

andy wrote:

Greetings

The following is one of a number of sites (including, for example, parts
of the NASA site) where I am told that my version of Flash Player is
outdated: "You need the latest Flash Player plugin to view the
multimedia content of this site."
http://science.nationalgeographic.com/science/environment/global-warming/gw-impacts-interactive.html

I thought that I actually had the latest, but apparently not.

Has anyone else had this problem and what is the optimal fix, because I
seem to remember that there was a clash between versions I used to have.

WFM: flashplayer-mozilla 9.0.124.0-0.0 + Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux
i686; en-US; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008062910 Iceweasel/3.0 (Debian-3.0~rc2-2)

Hugo

"Nuno Magalh„es" 07-20-2008 01:03 AM

Loss of Flash Player capabilities in IW3.0

I've noticed with both Iceweasel 2 and 3 that sometimes i "lose"
flash. I have flashplayer-nonfree and the only solution i found so far
is to close all Iceweasel instances and run "dpkg-reconfigure
iceweasel".

--
Nuno Magalh„es

andy 07-20-2008 09:42 AM

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

andy wrote:

Greetings

The following is one of a number of sites (including, for example,
parts of the NASA site) where I am told that my version of Flash
Player is outdated: "You need the latest Flash Player plugin to view
the multimedia content of this site."
http://science.nationalgeographic.com/science/environment/global-warming/gw-impacts-interactive.html

I thought that I actually had the latest, but apparently not.

Has anyone else had this problem and what is the optimal fix, because
I seem to remember that there was a clash between versions I used to
have.

WFM: flashplayer-mozilla 9.0.124.0-0.0 + Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux
i686; en-US; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008062910 Iceweasel/3.0 (Debian-3.0~rc2-2)

Hugo

I have the latest version of Lenny's flashplayer-mozilla installed and,
following Nuno's suggestion, closed IW and ran dpkg-reconfigure
iceweasel. This still hasn't worked however.

I wonder if this conflicts with having gone to the flash site and
downloaded the flash-player 9 installer, and installed it using dpkg?

Andy

andy 07-20-2008 10:30 AM

andy wrote:

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

andy wrote:

[...]

I needed to uninstall the earlier version of flashplayer, which I have
now done, and then ran the flashplayer-installer from the Adobe website.
Iceweasel is currently running Shockwave Flash 9.0 r124, and I no longer
get the error message when going to the NG website link.

All's well, I think.

Thanks for the help/ comments.

Andy

Andrew Sackville-West 07-20-2008 06:49 PM

On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 11:30:31AM +0100, andy wrote:
> andy wrote:
>> Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

>>> WFM: flashplayer-mozilla 9.0.124.0-0.0 + Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux
>>> i686; en-US; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008062910 Iceweasel/3.0
>>> (Debian-3.0~rc2-2)
>>>
>> I have the latest version of Lenny's flashplayer-mozilla installed
>> and, following Nuno's suggestion, closed IW and ran dpkg-reconfigure
>> iceweasel. This still hasn't worked however.
>>
>> I wonder if this conflicts with having gone to the flash site and
>> downloaded the flash-player 9 installer, and installed it using dpkg?
>>
> I needed to uninstall the earlier version of flashplayer, which I have
> now done, and then ran the flashplayer-installer from the Adobe website.
> Iceweasel is currently running Shockwave Flash 9.0 r124, and I no longer
> get the error message when going to the NG website link.
>
> All's well, I think.

well, you still aren't running the debian version, but instead running
the adobe installed version. There's nothing inherently wrong with
that except that your package manager doesn't have control of the
situation anymore, so you may run into trouble later.

I would recommend that you try completely removing the adobe version
and reinstalling the debian version. It is likely, I think, that
trying to run two versions simultaneously was the problem.

In my opinion, it is preferable to run the debian packages instead of
the adobe install.

.02

"Kelly Clowers" 07-20-2008 07:01 PM

Loss of Flash Player capabilities in IW3.0

On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 11:49 AM, Andrew Sackville-West
<andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:

> well, you still aren't running the debian version, but instead running
> the adobe installed version. There's nothing inherently wrong with
> that except that your package manager doesn't have control of the
> situation anymore, so you may run into trouble later.
>
> I would recommend that you try completely removing the adobe version
> and reinstalling the debian version. It is likely, I think, that
> trying to run two versions simultaneously was the problem.
>
> In my opinion, it is preferable to run the debian packages instead of
> the adobe install.

Personally, I prefer Adobe's Flash 10 beta. It seems to have smoother
playback and some report lower cpu usage.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers

Andrew Sackville-West 07-20-2008 07:13 PM

On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 12:01:17PM -0700, Kelly Clowers wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 11:49 AM, Andrew Sackville-West
> <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:
> >
> > well, you still aren't running the debian version, but instead running
> > the adobe installed version. There's nothing inherently wrong with
> > that except that your package manager doesn't have control of the
> > situation anymore, so you may run into trouble later.
> >
> > I would recommend that you try completely removing the adobe version
> > and reinstalling the debian version. It is likely, I think, that
> > trying to run two versions simultaneously was the problem.
> >
> > In my opinion, it is preferable to run the debian packages instead of
> > the adobe install.
>
> Personally, I prefer Adobe's Flash 10 beta. It seems to have smoother
> playback and some report lower cpu usage.

good point...