Old 11-20-2007, 01:55 PM
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi

Default which package contains avisynth.dll

When trying to play a .pls file obtained from
http://www.npr.org/audiohelp/progstream.html , I found that it works fine
with kaffeine, amarok etc., but does not work with mplayer.

With mplayer, it gives the following error

$mplayer shoutcast-playlist.pls
MPlayer 1.0rc2-4.2.2 (C) 2000-2007 MPlayer Team
CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz (Family: 15, Model: 2, Stepping: 9)
CPUflags: MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1 SSE2: 1
Compiled with runtime CPU detection.
Can't open joystick device /dev/input/js0: No such file or directory
Can't init input joystick
mplayer: could not connect to socket
mplayer: No such file or directory
Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote
control.

Playing shoutcast-playlist.pls.
Win32 LoadLibrary failed to load:
avisynth.dll, /usr/lib/codecs/avisynth.dll, /usr/lib/win32/avisynth.dll, /usr/local/lib/win32/avisynth.dll

Exiting... (End of file)

Which package contains avisynth.dll? I tried looking at apt-file, apt-cache,
google etc., but could not find it anywhere for Debian. What puzzles me is
that the .pls works in amarok, kaffeine etc., but does not work with
mplayer... Any ideas/suggestions?

thanks
raju
--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
http://malayamaarutham.blogspot.com/

Old 11-20-2007, 03:32 PM
Jonathan Kaye

Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:

> When trying to play a .pls file obtained from
> http://www.npr.org/audiohelp/progstream.html , I found that it works fine
> with kaffeine, amarok etc., but does not work with mplayer.
>

> With mplayer, it gives the following error
>
> $mplayer shoutcast-playlist.pls
> MPlayer 1.0rc2-4.2.2 (C) 2000-2007 MPlayer Team
> CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz (Family: 15, Model: 2, Stepping: 9)
> CPUflags: MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1 SSE2: 1
> Compiled with runtime CPU detection.
> Can't open joystick device /dev/input/js0: No such file or directory
> Can't init input joystick
> mplayer: could not connect to socket
> mplayer: No such file or directory
> Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote
> control.
>
> Playing shoutcast-playlist.pls.
> Win32 LoadLibrary failed to load:
> avisynth.dll, /usr/lib/codecs/avisynth.dll, /usr/lib/win32/avisynth.dll,
> /usr/local/lib/win32/avisynth.dll
>

> Exiting... (End of file)
>

> Which package contains avisynth.dll? I tried looking at apt-file,
> apt-cache, google etc., but could not find it anywhere for Debian. What
> puzzles me is that the .pls works in amarok, kaffeine etc., but does not
> work with mplayer... Any ideas/suggestions?
>
> thanks
> raju
Hi Raju,
I know all about this avisnyth.dll file. I get similar messages to yours
when I try to connect to a sopcast server using mplayer. It seems to be
some kind of bogus error message that mplayer spews out when it can't
connect to a server for some reason. The answer seems to be, ignore it. The
same command line that gives me this message eventually connects to the
server if I keep trying so I know that I don't need avisynth.dll.
An example would be if I give the command line
$sp-sc-auth sop://broker1.sopcast.com:3912/6002 3908 8908 > /dev/null &
and then I try
mplayer -vo gl -framedrop http://localhost:8908/tv.asf
I often get the message that you got. If I'm patient and I keep trying I
eventually get throw and can watch my football match (or whatever). Success
does not seem to depend on having avisnyth.dll. Maybe this is just some
code not removed from the windows version of mplayer.
Cheers,
Jonathan

Old 11-20-2007, 05:38 PM
Sjoerd Hiemstra

Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:
> With mplayer, it gives the following error
>
> $mplayer shoutcast-playlist.pls
> Playing shoutcast-playlist.pls.
> Win32 LoadLibrary failed to load:
> avisynth.dll, /usr/lib/codecs/avisynth.dll, /usr/lib/win32/avisynth.dll, /usr/local/lib/win32/avisynth.dll
>
> Which package contains avisynth.dll? I tried looking at apt-file,
> apt-cache, google etc., but could not find it anywhere for Debian.
> What puzzles me is that the .pls works in amarok, kaffeine etc., but
> does not work with mplayer... Any ideas/suggestions?

The usual cure for this is to add the -playlist option:

mplayer -playlist <file_to_play>

You do NOT need avisynth.dll.

Old 11-20-2007, 05:56 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 07:38:45PM +0100, Sjoerd Hiemstra wrote:
> Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:
> > With mplayer, it gives the following error
> >
> > $mplayer shoutcast-playlist.pls
> > Playing shoutcast-playlist.pls.
> > Win32 LoadLibrary failed to load:
> > avisynth.dll, /usr/lib/codecs/avisynth.dll, /usr/lib/win32/avisynth.dll, /usr/local/lib/win32/avisynth.dll
> >
> > Which package contains avisynth.dll? I tried looking at apt-file,
> > apt-cache, google etc., but could not find it anywhere for Debian.
> > What puzzles me is that the .pls works in amarok, kaffeine etc., but
> > does not work with mplayer... Any ideas/suggestions?
>
> The usual cure for this is to add the -playlist option:
>
> mplayer -playlist <file_to_play>
>
> You do NOT need avisynth.dll.

Do you know why the playlist option helps? I'm really curios since I
really can't see any connection (and I see the same error from time to
time).

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Old 11-20-2007, 07:29 PM
Sjoerd Hiemstra

Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 07:38:45PM +0100, Sjoerd Hiemstra wrote:
> > Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:
> > > With mplayer, it gives the following error
> > >
> > > $mplayer shoutcast-playlist.pls
> > > Playing shoutcast-playlist.pls.
> > > Win32 LoadLibrary failed to load:
> > > avisynth.dll, /usr/lib/codecs/avisynth.dll, /usr/lib/win32/avisynth.dll, /usr/local/lib/win32/avisynth.dll
> > >
> > > Which package contains avisynth.dll?
> >
> > The usual cure for this is to add the -playlist option:
> >
> > mplayer -playlist <file_to_play>
> >
> > You do NOT need avisynth.dll.
>
> Do you know why the playlist option helps? I'm really curios since I
> really can't see any connection (and I see the same error from time
> to time).

AFAICT, a .pls file is a playlist file (like .asx and .asf), so mplayer
needs the playlist option to look for streams inside.
The error with avisynth.dll seems to be a generic error message.
You could try googling for 'mplayer avisynth playlist' to find some more
hints.

Old 11-21-2007, 01:37 AM
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi

Sjoerd Hiemstra wrote:
> The usual cure for this is to add the -playlist option:
>
> mplayer -playlist <file_to_play>
>
> You do NOT need avisynth.dll.

The -playlist option works great! Now mplayer can play the npr radio
streams... yay! Thanks for all those who replied.

raju