Old 07-19-2008, 02:59 PM
"Damon L. Chesser"

Default nvidia-glx or xserver-xorg (was Xorg not working: empty backtrace)

On Saturday 19 July 2008 10:14:42 am Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
> Ok I solved all my problem using nvidia stuff from unstable ...which
> seems more 'stable'
>
> step:
> 1. using module-assistant:
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers#Libraries
> 2.
> and installing nvidia-glx from unstable
>
> You need Load "glx" in your xorg and you do not need 'Disable dri" after
> all
>
> Thanks anyway
> -Mathieu

Glad you got it up and running.

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com

Old 07-19-2008, 03:11 PM
"H.S."

Mathieu Malaterre wrote:

Following instruction:

http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers#Libraries

I did install nvidia-glx but it remove xserver-xorg... so I do not
have a 'X' program anymoe in /usr/bin/X11/X

Is there anyone else using nvidia out there ?

I am using Nvidia on Debian Testing. I knew nvidia was broken in
Testing, so I added an Unstable repository in /etc/apt/sources.list
pulled nvidia from there. To do so, I have the following files:

----------------------------------
$> cat /etc/apt/apt.conf
APT::Authentication::TrustCDROM "true";
Acquire::::Proxy "false";
APT:efault-Release "testing";
----------------------------------

----------------------------------
$> cat /etc/apt/preferences
Package: *
Pin: release o=Debian,a=testing
Pin-Priority: 900

Package: *
Pin: release o=Debian,a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 300
----------------------------------

Then I did an 'aptitude update' and then, IIRC, I did 'aptitude -t
unstable install <nvidia packages here>' to get nvidia related packages
from unstable.

After that, I removed the Unstable repository from /etc/apt/sources.list
with plans to enable it when I wanted to check nvidia at a later date.

Regards.

Old 07-19-2008, 04:22 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 07-19-2008, 04:38 PM
"Mathieu Malaterre"

On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 6:22 PM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:

> On 07/19/08 09:01, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
>> Following instruction:
>>
>> http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers#Libraries
>>
>> I did install nvidia-glx but it remove xserver-xorg... so I do not
>> have a 'X' program anymoe in /usr/bin/X11/X
>>
>> Is there anyone else using nvidia out there ?
>
> Lots.

If you reread my sentence in slow motion, you can almost see the vein
on my forehead popping out right there

--
Mathieu

Old 07-19-2008, 04:52 PM