-   -   grub problem with primary partition (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/127605-grub-problem-primary-partition.html)

Peibol 07-19-2008 08:36 AM

grub problem with primary partition

Hi all

I have a issue with grub using Debian etch. The picture is simple: PC
with only one hard disk (hda) and the following partition table.

cfdisk 2.12r

Disk Drive: /dev/hda
Size: 80026361856 bytes, 80.0 GB
Heads: 255 Sectors per Track: 63 Cylinders: 9729

Name Flags Part Type FS Type [Label] Size (MB)

hda1 Boot Primary NTFS [] 10742,22
hda5 Logical Linux swap 509,97
hda6 Logical Linux ext3 20480,95
hda7 Logical Linux ext3 12000,69
hda8 Logical Linux XFS 26000,12
hda3 Primary Linux ext3 10289,83

As you can see hda3 is the last primary partition and it is beyond the
last logical partition.
Debian + grub is on hda6 and it boots ok. But I have other Linux
distribution (Suse) installed on hda3 and when I tried to boot it, it
fails.

The boot sequence is the normal one:

root (hd0,2)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.25.9-0.2-default root=/dev/hda3
initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.25.9-0.2-default

The “root” part woks ok:
grub> root (hd0,2)

But then, is impossible to find a single file in that partition, and
there are.

grub> root (hd0,2)

grub> kernel /boot/<tab>
Error 2: Bad file or directory type

grub> kernel /<tab>
Error 2: Bad file or directory type

Booting in real, it says “Error 15: file not found”, that is the same.

I think that is some problem with the fact that it is a primary
partition after the logical ones.

Can someone give me some light?

Thaks,
Peibol.

Andrei Popescu 07-19-2008 08:50 AM

grub problem with primary partition

On Sat,19.Jul.08, 10:36:44, Peibol wrote:

[...]

> As you can see hda3 is the last primary partition and it is beyond the
> last logical partition.
> Debian + grub is on hda6 and it boots ok. But I have other Linux
> distribution (Suse) installed on hda3 and when I tried to boot it, it
> fails.

[...]

> I think that is some problem with the fact that it is a primary
> partition after the logical ones.

Rather that the partition is beyond some limit (32 GB?).

If you only want to boot it then it should be enough to copy the kernel
and initrd to ex. debian's /boot (but do keep the correct
root=/dev/hda3 parameter).

Disclaimer: I have never used Fedora and I can't guarantee this will
even work on Debian.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Andrei Popescu 07-19-2008 09:46 AM

On Sat,19.Jul.08, 11:50:10, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Sat,19.Jul.08, 10:36:44, Peibol wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > As you can see hda3 is the last primary partition and it is beyond the
> > last logical partition.
> > Debian + grub is on hda6 and it boots ok. But I have other Linux
> > distribution (Suse) installed on hda3 and when I tried to boot it, it
> > fails.
>
> [...]
>
> > I think that is some problem with the fact that it is a primary
> > partition after the logical ones.
>
> Rather that the partition is beyond some limit (32 GB?).
>
> If you only want to boot it then it should be enough to copy the kernel
> and initrd to ex. debian's /boot (but do keep the correct
> root=/dev/hda3 parameter).
>
> Disclaimer: I have never used Fedora and I can't guarantee this will
> even work on Debian.

s/Fedora/Suse/

Regards,
Andrei