Old 07-18-2008, 10:38 PM
Ron Johnson

Default Device busy, but lsof doesn't help

On 07/18/08 17:17, Eugene V. Lyubimkin wrote:
> Ron Johnson wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> The standard trick, of course, is to run lsof and grep it's output.
>> But that didn't help. Googling found reference to fuser, but that
>> didn't help either.
>>
>> Any other ideas?
>>
>> # umount -v /data/03
>> umount: /data/03: device is busy
>> umount: /data/03: device is busy
>>
>> # lsof | grep sda
>> #
>>
>> # lsof | grep /dev/03
>> #
>>
>> # fuser -mu /dev/sda1
>> #
>>
> What is output of 'mount' command?

# mount | sort
/dev/hda1 on /boot type ext3 (rw)
/dev/hda2 on / type ext3,ext2 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
/dev/hda3 on /home type ext3 (rw)
/dev/hda4 on /data/01 type ext3 (rw)
/dev/sda1 on /data/03 type ext3 (rw)
/dev/sdb1 on /data/02 type ext3 (rw)
binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc
(rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=620)
fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
none on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
tmpfs on /lib/init/rw type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)

But why does that matter?

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

York is doomed."

Old 07-18-2008, 10:39 PM
"Eugene V. Lyubimkin"

Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 07/18/08 17:17, Eugene V. Lyubimkin wrote:
>> Ron Johnson wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> The standard trick, of course, is to run lsof and grep it's output.
>>> But that didn't help. Googling found reference to fuser, but that
>>> didn't help either.
>>>
>>> Any other ideas?
>>>
>>> # umount -v /data/03
>>> umount: /data/03: device is busy
>>> umount: /data/03: device is busy
>>>
>>> # lsof | grep sda
>>> #
>>>
>>> # lsof | grep /dev/03
>>> #
>>>
>>> # fuser -mu /dev/sda1
>>> #
>>>
>> What is output of 'mount' command?
>
> # mount | sort
> /dev/hda1 on /boot type ext3 (rw)
> /dev/hda2 on / type ext3,ext2 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
> /dev/hda3 on /home type ext3 (rw)
> /dev/hda4 on /data/01 type ext3 (rw)
> /dev/sda1 on /data/03 type ext3 (rw)
> /dev/sdb1 on /data/02 type ext3 (rw)
> binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc
> (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
> devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=620)
> fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
> none on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
> proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
> sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
> tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
> tmpfs on /lib/init/rw type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
> udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
>
> But why does that matter?

To ensure that /data/03 is /dev/sda1.

May be, try lazy unmount?

--
Eugene V. Lyubimkin aka JackYF, Ukrainian C++ developer.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:57 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 07-19-2008, 01:49 PM
Bob Cox

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 17:38:21 -0500, Ron Johnson (ron.l.johnson@cox.net) wrote:

> # mount | sort
> /dev/hda1 on /boot type ext3 (rw)
> /dev/hda2 on / type ext3,ext2 (rw,errors=remount-ro)

Is this ok? ^^^^^^^^^

Just a thought. It looks a bit odd to me (in my very limited
experience).

Old 07-19-2008, 04:10 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 07-19-2008, 04:21 PM
Bob Cox

On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 11:10:52 -0500, Ron Johnson (ron.l.johnson@cox.net) wrote:

> On 07/19/08 08:49, Bob Cox wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 17:38:21 -0500, Ron Johnson (ron.l.johnson@cox.net) wrote:
> >
> >> # mount | sort
> >> /dev/hda1 on /boot type ext3 (rw)
> >> /dev/hda2 on / type ext3,ext2 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
> >
> > Is this ok? ^^^^^^^^^
> >
> > Just a thought. It looks a bit odd to me (in my very limited
> > experience).
>
> Yep. It makes a searchlist. First try wit ext3, then try ext2,
> them fail.

Many thanks. I like to learn at least something new every day.

Old 07-19-2008, 07:30 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 05:57:42PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 07/18/08 17:39, Eugene V. Lyubimkin wrote:
> [snip]
> >>
> > To ensure that /data/03 is /dev/sda1.
>
> Ah, ok.
>
> > May be, try lazy unmount?
>
> I want to know what's happening. Lazy umount is, to me, distateful
> except when using network services like nfs.

maybe cd out od /data/03? maybe you have a session somewhere with a
PWD of /data/03/*?

Old 07-19-2008, 09:29 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 07-19-2008, 09:53 PM
Mike Bird

Other than rootfs, does /proc/mounts differ significantly from /etc/mtab.

--Mike Bird

Old 07-19-2008, 10:09 PM
Ron Johnson

On 07/19/08 16:53, Mike Bird wrote:
> Other than rootfs, does /proc/mounts differ significantly from /etc/mtab.

Probably depends on your definition of "significantly". But no, I
don't see anything seriously out of whack.

Then, maybe I just don't know enough to notice when things are wrong...

$ cat /proc/mounts | sort
/dev/hda1 /boot ext3 rw,errors=continue,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/hda3 /home ext3 rw,errors=continue,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/hda4 /data/01 ext3 rw,errors=continue,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/root / ext3 rw,errors=remount-ro,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/root /dev/.static/dev ext3 rw,errors=remount-ro,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/sda1 /data/03 ext3 rw,errors=continue,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/sdb2 /data/04 xfs rw,attr2,noquota 0 0
/dev/sdc1 /data/02 ext3 rw,errors=continue,data=ordered 0 0
binfmt_misc /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc binfmt_misc
rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,nosuid,noexec,gid=5,mode=620 0 0
fusectl /sys/fs/fuse/connections fusectl rw 0 0
none /proc/bus/usb usbfs rw 0 0
proc /proc proc rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec 0 0
rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec 0 0
tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,size=10240k,mode=755 0 0
tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev 0 0
tmpfs /lib/init/rw tmpfs rw,nosuid,mode=755 0 0

$ cat /etc/mtab | sort
/dev/hda1 /boot ext3 rw 0 0
/dev/hda2 / ext3,ext2 rw,errors=remount-ro 0 0
/dev/hda3 /home ext3 rw 0 0
/dev/hda4 /data/01 ext3 rw 0 0
/dev/sda1 /data/03 ext3 rw 0 0
/dev/sdb2 /data/04 xfs rw 0 0
/dev/sdc1 /data/02 ext3 rw 0 0
binfmt_misc /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc binfmt_misc
rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=620 0 0
fusectl /sys/fs/fuse/connections fusectl rw 0 0
none /proc/bus/usb usbfs rw 0 0
proc /proc proc rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0
tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev 0 0
tmpfs /lib/init/rw tmpfs rw,nosuid,mode=0755 0 0
udev /dev tmpfs rw,mode=0755 0 0

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA