Old 07-18-2008, 09:20 PM
"Mathieu Malaterre"

Default Xorg not working: empty backtrace

Hi there,

Giving up on this one... I cannot understand what is going wrong
with my xorg setup. If I reboot my computer I am loosing X. Looking at
the log I cannot see anything wrong:

http://gdcm.sourceforge.net/thingies/Xorg.0.log

There is no 'EE' entry

Thanks for suggestion,
--
Mathieu

Old 07-18-2008, 10:54 PM
Florian Kulzer

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 23:20:14 +0200, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Giving up on this one... I cannot understand what is going wrong
> with my xorg setup. If I reboot my computer I am loosing X. Looking at
> the log I cannot see anything wrong:
>
> http://gdcm.sourceforge.net/thingies/Xorg.0.log
>
> There is no 'EE' entry

It cannot save a backtrace, does the computer lock up?

Comparing the end of your Xorg log to mine, it seems that your system is
crashing the moment it tries to do drmOpenDevice. Maybe the problem is
related to the kernel part of the direct rendering infrastructure (DRI).
Looking at your log with that in mind:

(II) "dri" will be loaded by default.

[...]

(II) LoadModule: "dri"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libdri.so
(II) Module dri: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 0.3
(II) Loading extension XFree86-DRI
(II) LoadModule: "nvidia"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//nvidia_drv.so
(II) Module nvidia: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
Module class: X.Org Video Driver

IIRC, the Xorg DRI module has to be disabled if you use the nvidia
driver. Try to add

Disable "dri"

to the modules section of your xorg.conf and make sure that there are no
load directives for this module anywhere else in the configuration file.

Florian |

Old 07-18-2008, 11:19 PM
"Mathieu Malaterre"

On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 12:54 AM, Florian Kulzer
<florian.kulzer+debian@icfo.es> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 23:20:14 +0200, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> Giving up on this one... I cannot understand what is going wrong
>> with my xorg setup. If I reboot my computer I am loosing X. Looking at
>> the log I cannot see anything wrong:
>>
>> http://gdcm.sourceforge.net/thingies/Xorg.0.log
>>
>> There is no 'EE' entry
>
> It cannot save a backtrace, does the computer lock up?
>
> Comparing the end of your Xorg log to mine, it seems that your system is
> crashing the moment it tries to do drmOpenDevice. Maybe the problem is
> related to the kernel part of the direct rendering infrastructure (DRI).
> Looking at your log with that in mind:
>
> (II) "dri" will be loaded by default.
>
> [...]
>
> (II) LoadModule: "dri"
> (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libdri.so
> (II) Module dri: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
> compiled for 1.4.2, module version = 1.0.0
> ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 0.3
> (II) Loading extension XFree86-DRI
> (II) LoadModule: "nvidia"
> (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//nvidia_drv.so
> (II) Module nvidia: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
> compiled for 4.0.2, module version = 1.0.0
> Module class: X.Org Video Driver
>
> IIRC, the Xorg DRI module has to be disabled if you use the nvidia
> driver. Try to add
>
> Disable "dri"
>
> to the modules section of your xorg.conf and make sure that there are no
> load directives for this module anywhere else in the configuration file.

Florian, you are *really* good !
Indeed that was the solution, commenting out glx/dri is not enough -at
least for me- .

BTW I had to do both:

Disable "glx"
Disable "dri"

to get xorg to work.

Ref:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2007-September/028326.html

Thanks a bunch !
--
Mathieu

Old 07-18-2008, 11:31 PM
"Damon L. Chesser"

On Friday 18 July 2008 06:54:09 pm Florian Kulzer wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 23:20:14 +0200, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > Giving up on this one... I cannot understand what is going wrong
> > with my xorg setup. If I reboot my computer I am loosing X. Looking at
> > the log I cannot see anything wrong:
> >
> > http://gdcm.sourceforge.net/thingies/Xorg.0.log
> >
> > There is no 'EE' entry
>
> It cannot save a backtrace, does the computer lock up?
>
> Comparing the end of your Xorg log to mine, it seems that your system is
> crashing the moment it tries to do drmOpenDevice. Maybe the problem is
> related to the kernel part of the direct rendering infrastructure (DRI).
> Looking at your log with that in mind:
>
> (II) "dri" will be loaded by default.
>
> [...]
>
> (II) LoadModule: "dri"
> (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libdri.so
> (II) Module dri: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
> compiled for 1.4.2, module version = 1.0.0
> ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 0.3
> (II) Loading extension XFree86-DRI
> (II) LoadModule: "nvidia"
> (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//nvidia_drv.so
> (II) Module nvidia: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
> compiled for 4.0.2, module version = 1.0.0
> Module class: X.Org Video Driver
>
> IIRC, the Xorg DRI module has to be disabled if you use the nvidia
> driver. Try to add
>
> Disable "dri"
>
> to the modules section of your xorg.conf and make sure that there are no
> load directives for this module anywhere else in the configuration file.
>
> --
> Regards, | http://users.icfo.es/Florian.Kulzer
> Florian |

So,

You are running Nvidia. What why did you install it, nvidia installer or the
debian way?

If you did BOTH you will/might have problems.

assuming you only did one way:

apt-get install nvidia-xconfig
as root do nvidia-xconfig
then do startx
if you startx, you might want to do apt-get install nvidia-settings as run
that as root.

nvidia-xconfig will fix your xorg to comply with nvidia drivers (with out
respect to the way you installed nvidia.

I hope this helps and I am just going off of Florian's insight.

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com

Old 07-19-2008, 11:52 AM
"Mathieu Malaterre"

On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 1:31 AM, Damon L. Chesser <damon@damtek.com> wrote:
> On Friday 18 July 2008 06:54:09 pm Florian Kulzer wrote:
>> On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 23:20:14 +0200, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
>> > Hi there,
>> >
>> > Giving up on this one... I cannot understand what is going wrong
>> > with my xorg setup. If I reboot my computer I am loosing X. Looking at
>> > the log I cannot see anything wrong:
>> >
>> > http://gdcm.sourceforge.net/thingies/Xorg.0.log
>> >
>> > There is no 'EE' entry
>>
>> It cannot save a backtrace, does the computer lock up?
>>
>> Comparing the end of your Xorg log to mine, it seems that your system is
>> crashing the moment it tries to do drmOpenDevice. Maybe the problem is
>> related to the kernel part of the direct rendering infrastructure (DRI).
>> Looking at your log with that in mind:
>>
>> (II) "dri" will be loaded by default.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> (II) LoadModule: "dri"
>> (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libdri.so
>> (II) Module dri: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
>> compiled for 1.4.2, module version = 1.0.0
>> ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 0.3
>> (II) Loading extension XFree86-DRI
>> (II) LoadModule: "nvidia"
>> (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//nvidia_drv.so
>> (II) Module nvidia: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
>> compiled for 4.0.2, module version = 1.0.0
>> Module class: X.Org Video Driver
>>
>> IIRC, the Xorg DRI module has to be disabled if you use the nvidia
>> driver. Try to add
>>
>> Disable "dri"
>>
>> to the modules section of your xorg.conf and make sure that there are no
>> load directives for this module anywhere else in the configuration file.
>>
>> --
>> Regards, | http://users.icfo.es/Florian.Kulzer
>> Florian |
>
> So,
>
> You are running Nvidia. What why did you install it, nvidia installer or the
> debian way?
>
> If you did BOTH you will/might have problems.
>
> assuming you only did one way:
>
> apt-get install nvidia-xconfig
> as root do nvidia-xconfig

# nvidia-xconfig

Using X configuration file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf".

PARSE ERROR: Parse error on line 57 of section Module in file
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.
"Disable" is not a valid keyword in this section.

Backed up file '/etc/X11/xorg.conf' as '/etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup'
New X configuration file written to '/etc/X11/xorg.conf'

BTW, I did follow:

http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers#head-da25e4acfc1b456e21717d2178b938ba4306e9cd

But when I run the m-a auto-install command I get a failure and an
empty log file:

# cat /var/cache/modass/nvidia-kernel-source.buildlog.2.6.25-2-amd64.1216468060
Build log starting, file:
/var/cache/modass/nvidia-kernel-source.buildlog.2.6.25-2-amd64.1216468060
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 13:47:40 +0200

> then do startx
> if you startx, you might want to do apt-get install nvidia-settings as run
> that as root.

Sorry Florian's solution seems to be working for me, I have very
little interest and too little understanding on what is going on wrong
to spent too much time in this isue.

Thanks anyway,
--
Mathieu

Old 07-19-2008, 01:53 PM
"Mathieu Malaterre"

...I take that back when commenting out "glx" from xorg.conf every
single opengl app seg fault

--
Mathieu