Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Debian User (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/)
-   -   Baffled by a badly borked system (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/127377-baffled-badly-borked-system.html)

celejar 07-18-2008 08:43 PM

Baffled by a badly borked system
 
Hi,

I'm not sure where to start. I'm running Sid. The system has been up
for several days, with numerous hibernate (suspend to disk) / resume
cycles. The system is partially up to date (not totally, since I only
have intermittent net access). Today, I rebooted it, and now it is
badly borked. I have no idea what the root cause of the problem is,
and what are merely symptoms, and I don't even know if there's just
one problem or many. The Debian installation currently has no net
access, so I'm mailing from Windows, and supplying information from
memory, so I may be imprecise.

a) /dev/null apparently has the wrong permissions (I think rw-rw----).
My ordinary user has no access to it, and so lots of stuff complains
(e.g. on initial shell login, I get an endless stream of permission
errors for /dev/null, and I need to hit break.) This problem doesn't
exist for root, probably because root has r/w access to it.

b) X won't start, neither from my ordinary user account or from root.
Several errors (EE), including a reference to insufficient video RAM,
something about DRI, etc.

c) My wireless NIC comes up wrongly named. I had udev set up to
switch my b43 driven card from wlan0 to eth0; now it comes up as
wlan0.

d) b43 driver doesn't work; complaints about firmware (a common b43
gotcha, but it was working fine yesterday).

e) I can't build or even configure kernels or modules. Even make
menuconfig fails, complaining that I need ncurses-dev, which I
certainly have, and which used to work fine. Building also fails,
with various unhelpful errors

What could be so badly wrong with my system? Could an incomplete
upgrade be causing all this havoc? I tried manually upgrading some
key packages (manual downloading into Windows, mounting the Windows
partition and installing via dpkg), but no luck.

Apologies in advance if Gmail mangles this message or doesn't wrap it
correctly; I generally use a proper MUA, but I'm fairly desperate now.

Thanks,
Celejar


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Sven Joachim 07-18-2008 08:54 PM

Baffled by a badly borked system
 
On 2008-07-18 22:43 +0200, celejar wrote:

> I'm not sure where to start. I'm running Sid. The system has been up
> for several days, with numerous hibernate (suspend to disk) / resume
> cycles. The system is partially up to date (not totally, since I only
> have intermittent net access). Today, I rebooted it, and now it is
> badly borked. I have no idea what the root cause of the problem is,
> and what are merely symptoms, and I don't even know if there's just
> one problem or many. The Debian installation currently has no net
> access, so I'm mailing from Windows, and supplying information from
> memory, so I may be imprecise.
>
> a) /dev/null apparently has the wrong permissions (I think rw-rw----).
> My ordinary user has no access to it, and so lots of stuff complains
> (e.g. on initial shell login, I get an endless stream of permission
> errors for /dev/null, and I need to hit break.) This problem doesn't
> exist for root, probably because root has r/w access to it.

That's http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=491114.

> b) X won't start, neither from my ordinary user account or from root.
> Several errors (EE), including a reference to insufficient video RAM,
> something about DRI, etc.
>
> c) My wireless NIC comes up wrongly named. I had udev set up to
> switch my b43 driven card from wlan0 to eth0; now it comes up as
> wlan0.
>
> d) b43 driver doesn't work; complaints about firmware (a common b43
> gotcha, but it was working fine yesterday).
>
> e) I can't build or even configure kernels or modules. Even make
> menuconfig fails, complaining that I need ncurses-dev, which I
> certainly have, and which used to work fine. Building also fails,
> with various unhelpful errors
>
> What could be so badly wrong with my system? Could an incomplete
> upgrade be causing all this havoc? I tried manually upgrading some
> key packages (manual downloading into Windows, mounting the Windows
> partition and installing via dpkg), but no luck.

All of this might be a consequence of a), so please install a working
version of dmsetup, rebuild your initramfs and reboot.

> Apologies in advance if Gmail mangles this message or doesn't wrap it
> correctly; I generally use a proper MUA, but I'm fairly desperate now.

Looks fine here.

Regards,
Sven


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

"Damon L. Chesser" 07-19-2008 12:08 AM

Baffled by a badly borked system
 
On Friday 18 July 2008 04:43:14 pm celejar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm not sure where to start. I'm running Sid. The system has been up
> for several days, with numerous hibernate (suspend to disk) / resume
> cycles. The system is partially up to date (not totally, since I only
> have intermittent net access). Today, I rebooted it, and now it is
> badly borked. I have no idea what the root cause of the problem is,
> and what are merely symptoms, and I don't even know if there's just
> one problem or many. The Debian installation currently has no net
> access, so I'm mailing from Windows, and supplying information from
> memory, so I may be imprecise.
>
> a) /dev/null apparently has the wrong permissions (I think rw-rw----).
> My ordinary user has no access to it, and so lots of stuff complains
> (e.g. on initial shell login, I get an endless stream of permission
> errors for /dev/null, and I need to hit break.) This problem doesn't
> exist for root, probably because root has r/w access to it.
>
> b) X won't start, neither from my ordinary user account or from root.
> Several errors (EE), including a reference to insufficient video RAM,
> something about DRI, etc.
>
> c) My wireless NIC comes up wrongly named. I had udev set up to
> switch my b43 driven card from wlan0 to eth0; now it comes up as
> wlan0.
>
> d) b43 driver doesn't work; complaints about firmware (a common b43
> gotcha, but it was working fine yesterday).
>
> e) I can't build or even configure kernels or modules. Even make
> menuconfig fails, complaining that I need ncurses-dev, which I
> certainly have, and which used to work fine. Building also fails,
> with various unhelpful errors
>
> What could be so badly wrong with my system? Could an incomplete
> upgrade be causing all this havoc? I tried manually upgrading some
> key packages (manual downloading into Windows, mounting the Windows
> partition and installing via dpkg), but no luck.
>
> Apologies in advance if Gmail mangles this message or doesn't wrap it
> correctly; I generally use a proper MUA, but I'm fairly desperate now.
>
> Thanks,
> Celejar

And just for anybody else who might get bit,
remove /etc/udev/rules.d/65_dmsetup.rules and all your issues will go away,
THEN you can get back on the net and get an update to fix it.

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/dchesser

Celejar 07-19-2008 12:44 AM

Baffled by a badly borked system
 
On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 22:54:38 +0200
Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:

> On 2008-07-18 22:43 +0200, celejar wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure where to start. I'm running Sid. The system has been up
> > for several days, with numerous hibernate (suspend to disk) / resume
> > cycles. The system is partially up to date (not totally, since I only
> > have intermittent net access). Today, I rebooted it, and now it is
> > badly borked. I have no idea what the root cause of the problem is,
> > and what are merely symptoms, and I don't even know if there's just
> > one problem or many. The Debian installation currently has no net
> > access, so I'm mailing from Windows, and supplying information from
> > memory, so I may be imprecise.
> >
> > a) /dev/null apparently has the wrong permissions (I think rw-rw----).
> > My ordinary user has no access to it, and so lots of stuff complains
> > (e.g. on initial shell login, I get an endless stream of permission
> > errors for /dev/null, and I need to hit break.) This problem doesn't
> > exist for root, probably because root has r/w access to it.
>
> That's http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=491114.

[snipped gory details of my broken system]

> All of this might be a consequence of a), so please install a working
> version of dmsetup, rebuild your initramfs and reboot.

I wound up purging dmsetup, since I couldn't find an earlier version
that solved the problem, and -3 doesn't seem to be available for i386
yet. This was doable, since I only need dmsetup for cryptsetup, which
I only need for one encrypted fs which I can do without for a few
days. My system is indeed now back to normal. [I don't use an
initramfs.]

Thanks, Sven. You're a lifesaver!

> Regards,
> Sven

Celejar
--
mailmin.sourceforge.net - remote access via secure (OpenPGP) email
ssuds.sourceforge.net - A Simple Sudoku Solver and Generator


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:10 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.