Old 07-18-2008, 06:38 PM
Andrei Popescu

Default APT Mirror Priority

On Fri,18.Jul.08, 22:25:40, Ritesh Raj Sarraf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> AFAIK, there's no way to set priority on the mirrors that are defined in the
> sources.list file.
>
> Let us assume that we have two mirrors listed in the sources.list file.
> Eg: a local apt-proxy and ftp.us.debian.org
>
> It is obvious that apt-proxy is faster than f.u.d.o.
>
> What I'd want is that apt first tries to first try m.k.o and if not found
> there, or if the host doesn't respond, moves to f.u.d.o to get the package.
>
> Is there any pinning setting that we can set on the mirrors?

According to sources.list(5) the order counts.

,----[ sources.list(5) ]
`----

> Another question.
> Does apt support threaded download? If I have multiple mirrors, can apt be
> able to download multiple packages simultaneously from multiple mirrors at
> the same time?
> Currently I see that happening only with security.debian.org and one of the
> many mirrors listed in sources.list

AFAICT, even if apt has several sources for the same set of packages it
will use only one mirror, probably in the order specified in
sources.list if the manpage is correct.

If your mirror is to slow to fill up your bandwidth maybe you should
look for another. apt-spy can help with this.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)