Old 07-18-2008, 06:32 PM
Glenn Bailey

Default Hacking anaconda

Hello all,

I'm gonna be looking to modify Anaconda to allow it to fit more snugly in
the current environment I work in and had a couple of questions where to
start. I browsed through the Wiki the best I could, but couldn't really find
the best place to start. So I'll just start listing ;-)

1) In my current environment we do not track machines by MAC addresses, but rather
by chassis serial #. I'm wanting to modify Anaconda to be able to pull this serial
# via dmidecode, and then use that # as the kickstart file name. Can this be done
in the stage 2, or does it have to know what KS file to use in stage 1? In either
case, can I be pointed in the right direction for making such modifications?

1) If I roll my own Anaconda from the latest source provided can I use the same
source tree for RHEL 3, 5, and 5 as long as I create the proper stage1 boot? Or
would it be easier to just modify the existing source trees for each distro? Lookin
to do this RHEL distros only (RHEL and CentOS).

Any pointers will be greatly appreciated .. !

Glenn

Old 07-18-2008, 06:55 PM
Micah Parrish

If your modifications are fairly limited in scope I recommend using the
updates.img method. Basically you stuff the .py files you have modified
into the updates.img file and it is searched before other sources when
python goes to import a file. Place it on your network and add the line
updates=http://path.to/updates.img to the kernel command line. Its a
nice, elegant method to test your hacks and I have had good results with
it.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Updates

-Micah Parrish

Old 07-21-2008, 07:36 AM
Niels de Vos

Hi Glenn,

Glenn Bailey wrote:
> 1) In my current environment we do not track machines by MAC addresses, but rather
> by chassis serial #. I'm wanting to modify Anaconda to be able to pull this serial
> # via dmidecode, and then use that # as the kickstart file name. Can this be done
> in the stage 2, or does it have to know what KS file to use in stage 1? In either
> case, can I be pointed in the right direction for making such modifications?

The loader normally gets ks.cfg. In ks.cfg the location of stage2 is
configured. Therefore I would say you'll have to modify the loader.
However there seems to be a new parameter, namely stage2=... I don't
know if stage2 is able to load a ks.cfg or if it's too late. If stage2
can do it, updates.img should be a possible solution (like Micah said).

> 1) If I roll my own Anaconda from the latest source provided can I use the same
> source tree for RHEL 3, 5, and 5 as long as I create the proper stage1 boot? Or
> would it be easier to just modify the existing source trees for each distro? Lookin
> to do this RHEL distros only (RHEL and CentOS).

I think the versions of anaconda between RHEL-3 ... RHEL-5 differ
enormously. You'll probably have to modify them separately.

Good luck,
Niels

Old 07-21-2008, 07:40 AM
Martin Sivak

> Hello all,
>
> I'm gonna be looking to modify Anaconda to allow it to fit more snugly in
> the current environment I work in and had a couple of questions where to
> start. I browsed through the Wiki the best I could, but couldn't really find
> the best place to start. So I'll just start listing ;-)
>
> 1) In my current environment we do not track machines by MAC addresses, but rather
> by chassis serial #. I'm wanting to modify Anaconda to be able to pull this serial
> # via dmidecode, and then use that # as the kickstart file name. Can this be done
> in the stage 2, or does it have to know what KS file to use in stage 1? In either
> case, can I be pointed in the right direction for making such modifications?

As far as I remember, the stage1 is responsible for downloading the
kickstart file, because it can contain instalation source information
needed for stage2 download.

> 1) If I roll my own Anaconda from the latest source provided can I use the same
> source tree for RHEL 3, 5, and 5 as long as I create the proper stage1 boot? Or
> would it be easier to just modify the existing source trees for each distro? Lookin
> to do this RHEL distros only (RHEL and CentOS).

Unfortunately not. You have to modify all the versions in separate (and sometimes very different) way.
Anaconda is not product independent yet...

Have a nice day

--
Martin Sivak
msivak@redhat.com

Red Hat Czech s.r.o.
http://cz.redhat.com
Purkynova 99/71, 612 45 Brno, Czech Republic
Registered in Brno under #CZ27690016

Old 07-21-2008, 03:03 PM
Glenn Bailey

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I think I can accomplish what I want by
creating a 'base' build, then modify the stage2 with a updates.img file to
allow for variations in hardware, and then perform the rest of my config
needs with a first boot type script that would query the database for the
rest of the config info ..

Thanks again!