Old 07-18-2008, 05:34 PM
Sebastian Günther

Default Dear Thunderbird/Enigmail users

Dear Thunderbird/Enigmail users,

please stop using inline pgp: this is deprecated.

I know this is the default, because some ancient braindead mailclients
from Redmond refuse to be stadard compliant. But who *cares* in here?

So go to to your enigmail preferences and turn this annoying traditional
pgp *OFF*.

To the rest:
Sorry for the noise.

Sebastian

--
" Religion ist das Opium des Volkes. " Karl Marx

SEB@STI@N GÜNTHER mailto:samson@guenther-roetgen.de

Old 07-18-2008, 05:47 PM
"Steve C. Lamb"

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 07:34:18PM +0200, Sebastian Günther wrote:
> I know this is the default, because some ancient braindead mailclients
> from Redmond refuse to be stadard compliant. But who *cares* in here?

Uhm, actually, every enigmail setup I've used in the past 2 years has
defaulted to PGP/MIME.

--
Steve C. Lamb | I'm your priest, I'm your shrink, I'm your
PGP Key: 8B6E99C5 | main connection to the switchboard of souls.

Old 07-18-2008, 05:59 PM
"Damon L. Chesser"

On Friday 18 July 2008 01:34:18 pm Sebastian Günther wrote:
> Dear Thunderbird/Enigmail users,
>
> please stop using inline pgp: this is deprecated.
>
> I know this is the default, because some ancient braindead mailclients
> from Redmond refuse to be stadard compliant. But who *cares* in here?
>
> So go to to your enigmail preferences and turn this annoying traditional
> pgp *OFF*.
>
> To the rest:
> Sorry for the noise.
>
> Sebastian

I wish I could say I knew of what you are talking about, but I don't have a
clue.

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com

Old 07-18-2008, 06:29 PM
Joey Hess

Sebastian Günther wrote:
> Dear Thunderbird/Enigmail users,
>
> please stop using inline pgp: this is deprecated.
>
> I know this is the default, because some ancient braindead mailclients
> from Redmond refuse to be stadard compliant. But who *cares* in here?
>
> So go to to your enigmail preferences and turn this annoying traditional
> pgp *OFF*.

There are many procmail recipes floating around that convert inline pgp
into mime. I see that you're a mutt user, so the closest example to hand is
presumably /usr/share/doc/mutt/PGP-Notes.txt.gz. Or google will find
numerous others, including others that have been posted to this very
list.

--
see shy jo

Old 07-18-2008, 06:37 PM
"Steve C. Lamb"

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 02:29:57PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> There are many procmail recipes floating around that convert inline pgp
> into mime. I see that you're a mutt user, so the closest example to hand is
> presumably /usr/share/doc/mutt/PGP-Notes.txt.gz. Or google will find
> numerous others, including others that have been posted to this very
> list.

Not to mention given the choice of inline PGP and no PGP give me inline.
At least the person is 1/2 way there.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:42 PM
Johannes Wiedersich

Old 07-18-2008, 07:50 PM
Johannes Wiedersich

Old 07-18-2008, 09:11 PM
Sebastian Günther

* Joey Hess (joeyh@debian.org) [18.07.08 20:30]:

> There are many procmail recipes floating around that convert inline pgp
> into mime. I see that you're a mutt user, so the closest example to hand is
> presumably /usr/share/doc/mutt/PGP-Notes.txt.gz. Or google will find
> numerous others, including others that have been posted to this very
> list.

I don't use promail, and don't need to: mutt has an option, for not
showing it:

" Also note that using the old-style PGP message format is strongly
deprecated. (PGP only)

pgp_auto_decode
Type: boolean
Default: no

If set, mutt will automatically attempt to decrypt traditional PGP
messages whenever the user performs an operation which
ordinarily would result in the contents of the message being
operated on.
For example, if the user displays a pgp-traditional message which
has not been manually checked with the check-traditional-pgp
function, mutt will automatically check the message for traditional
pgp."

And I'm capable of typing ESC shift p.

But I intentionally copied the last sentence of the option before.

I think the most GUI Clients silently check for inline pgp, Thunderbird
for sure.
Since the most users, don't realize that they are using the old format,
I thought I should make them aware of that.

OK, I could blame enigmail for using this default, but I stated before,
why it seems to be that way.

But as the users intentionally choose to sign their messages, they could
check the options, before using it.

Most of all, it annoys me that all DSA messages are signed inline,
therefor the rant.

Sebastian

Old 07-18-2008, 10:34 PM
Ron Johnson