Old 07-18-2008, 05:33 PM
Barrie Stott

Default Alt-F7 query

I've been struggling with a problem for some days now and not getting
any nearer a solution. I'm running Debian unstable with a 2.6.25-2-686
kernel. (I'm also running kbd rather than console-tools.)

Suppose I have gvim open (in insert mode so that characters typed
appear in the on-screen buffer) in X and I type Ctrl-Alt-F1. This
takes me to VC 1 as I would expect. If at some time after this I type
Alt-F7, this takes me back to X on VC7 and erroneously puts the 4
characters <F7> in my gvim buffer.

Had I been in an xterm before going to VC1, the bell would ring, to
indicate a problem, and ~ would appear on the command line on return
to X. Had I been in the iceweasel browser though, I would simply
return to X in a normal way.

Another thing I tried was running kbd_mode. On VC1 I get utf-8 mode
but on X I'm told that the keyboard is in raw (scancode) mode. I don't
know if this is normal for X or not.

Has anyone met this problem and, if so, did you manage to come up with
a solution?

Barrie.