-   -   Xorg: missing fixed fonts (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/127236-xorg-missing-fixed-fonts.html)

"Mathieu Malaterre" 07-18-2008 04:10 PM

Xorg: missing fixed fonts

Hi there,

I have finally a -somewhat- working debian box, but after much
struggling with the nvidia driver I cannot see any of the fixed fonts.
How can I report something more usefull ? Or if anyone with a cristal
ball understand what is going on my side, please suggest a solution.

Thanks !

--
Mathieu

"Mathieu Malaterre" 07-18-2008 05:34 PM

Xorg: missing fixed fonts

It's been a long time debian installation didn't went so wrong...(dell
& ibm in the past were a lot more smoother).

so I was missing "xfonts-base" package...don't ask I do not know why
in the world it was not installed/or got removed somehow.

Because my ethernet would go off without warning, I had a very nice
surprise: firefox would refuse to start and crash in the background. I
realize that, starting epiphany, which would tell me : network is
down. I had to remove the brand new .mozilla directory from my user
and start firefox again making sure the network is up.

I solved the network using:

http://adam.rosi-kessel.org/weblog/2008/06/21/a-much-simpler-fix-for-the-r8169-link-down-problem

I'll wait for the next kernel version (2.6.26) which -hopefully- will
solve my ethernet issue.

As a side node I could never get the module-assistant auto-install
nvidia to work, even explicitely setting gcc to an older gcc 4.1
version, it would fail with an empty log. I had to run the shell
script from nvidia.

HTH
-Mathieu

"Mathieu Malaterre" 07-21-2008 12:23 PM

Xorg: missing fixed fonts

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 2:23 PM, Chris Bannister
<mockingbird@earthlight.co.nz> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 07:34:34PM +0200, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
>> As a side node I could never get the module-assistant auto-install
>> nvidia to work, even explicitely setting gcc to an older gcc 4.1
>> version, it would fail with an empty log. I had to run the shell
>> script from nvidia.
>
> Mmmm, should work. Just used it yesterday.
>
> m-a prepare nvidia
> m-a build -t nvidia (so you can see the screen output.)
> m-a install nvidia
>
> There was one issue but I think I was mislead:
>
> xdriinfo reckoned the libGL was to old. And cause I was only sometimes
> seeing the nvidia splash screen I thought there was a problem.
>
> I don't know if an ln -s libGL.so to the nvidia libGL did anything or
> not, but I installed mesa-utils and glxgears[1] was showing about 1800 fps
> but xdriinfo still reckoned the libGL was to old. glxinfo showed dri
> was on and using nvidia; not mesa.
>
> Stellarium worked a treat.

Sorry my posts must have been interchanged. So I finally got the
nvidia stuff installed properly using m-a but I had to use stuff from
unstable 173.x version (from the top of my head).

To get the libGL.so symlink I installed: nvidia-glx-dev

> [1] Not a good benchmark though.

At some point it has a very funny command line(*) option to keep
reminding people about that, I never really look into why that was a
bad benchmark.

--
Mathieu
Ps: something like -iacknowledgethisisnotabench

Chris Bannister 07-21-2008 12:23 PM

Xorg: missing fixed fonts

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 07:34:34PM +0200, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
> As a side node I could never get the module-assistant auto-install
> nvidia to work, even explicitely setting gcc to an older gcc 4.1
> version, it would fail with an empty log. I had to run the shell
> script from nvidia.

Mmmm, should work. Just used it yesterday.

m-a prepare nvidia
m-a build -t nvidia (so you can see the screen output.)
m-a install nvidia

There was one issue but I think I was mislead:

xdriinfo reckoned the libGL was to old. And cause I was only sometimes
seeing the nvidia splash screen I thought there was a problem.

I don't know if an ln -s libGL.so to the nvidia libGL did anything or
not, but I installed mesa-utils and glxgears[1] was showing about 1800 fps
but xdriinfo still reckoned the libGL was to old. glxinfo showed dri
was on and using nvidia; not mesa.

Stellarium worked a treat.

[1] Not a good benchmark though.

--
Chris.
======
at the stake while the votes were being counted." -- Thomas B. Reed