Old 07-18-2008, 01:32 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Default Firefox (Iceweasel) 3: is this page rendered horribly?

Carl Fink wrote:

I have 3.0~rc2-2 on my Testing system. This page:

http://savethecracker.blogspot.com/

among others comes out as repetitive 1-inch graphical segments of various
parts of the page jumbled together. It's apparently a Gecko problem,
because Epiphany does the same thing now that I've got Iceweasel 3.

Can anyone confirm? If so, I'll report it as a bug.

Looks OK here:
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008062910
Iceweasel/3.0 (Debian-3.0~rc2-2)

Debian Sid. Not my kind of website, but looks OK.

Hugo

Old 07-18-2008, 01:38 PM
"Stackpole, Chris"

Running 3.0~rc2.2 on Debian Lenny (Testing) and the rendering looks good
to me.

Have fun!

Old 07-18-2008, 02:25 PM
Wayne Topa

Carl Fink wrote:

I have 3.0~rc2-2 on my Testing system. This page:

http://savethecracker.blogspot.com/

among others comes out as repetitive 1-inch graphical segments of various
parts of the page jumbled together. It's apparently a Gecko problem,
because Epiphany does the same thing now that I've got Iceweasel 3.

Can anyone confirm? If so, I'll report it as a bug.

Displays fine here with iceweasel 3.0~rc2-2.

wt

Old 07-18-2008, 02:25 PM
Carl Fink

OK, if the page looks fine to everyone else, why would it be wrong in both
Epiphany and Iceweasel on my box?

Could it be that I've been reluctant to restart X (up for 74 days) despite
installing several upgrades?

Old 07-18-2008, 02:51 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 07-18-2008, 04:07 PM
Florian Kulzer

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 10:25:35 -0400, Carl Fink wrote:
> OK, if the page looks fine to everyone else, why would it be wrong in both
> Epiphany and Iceweasel on my box?

Epiphany is also based on the Gecko rendering engine, isn't it?

If you use an Intel integrated graphics card with XAA acceleration, try
the XAANoOffscreenPixmaps workaround (see bug #482992).

> Could it be that I've been reluctant to restart X (up for 74 days) despite
> installing several upgrades?

To find out which services/processes need restarting after an upgrade,
run

lsof | grep "path inode"

as root. This should list all processes that hang on to stale files. The
checkrestart command from "debian-goodies" is supposed to do the same
thing more comfortably, but this does not work for me at the moment (see
bug #491235).

Florian |

Old 07-18-2008, 04:50 PM
"Thomas Preud'homme"

The Friday 18 July 2008 18:07:41 Florian Kulzer, you wrote*:
> On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 10:25:35 -0400, Carl Fink wrote:
> > OK, if the page looks fine to everyone else, why would it be wrong in
> > both Epiphany and Iceweasel on my box?
>
> Epiphany is also based on the Gecko rendering engine, isn't it?
>
> If you use an Intel integrated graphics card with XAA acceleration, try
> the XAANoOffscreenPixmaps workaround (see bug #482992).
>
> > Could it be that I've been reluctant to restart X (up for 74 days)
> > despite installing several upgrades?
>
> To find out which services/processes need restarting after an upgrade,
> run
>
> lsof | grep "path inode"
>
> as root. This should list all processes that hang on to stale files. The
> checkrestart command from "debian-goodies" is supposed to do the same
> thing more comfortably, but this does not work for me at the moment (see
> bug #491235).
>
> --
> Regards, | http://users.icfo.es/Florian.Kulzer
> Florian |

Thanks for the debian-goodies tip. It's really a very useful package.

--
Thomas Preud'homme

Why debian : http://www.debian.org/intro/why_debian

Old 07-19-2008, 01:20 AM
Carl Fink

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 06:07:41PM +0200, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 10:25:35 -0400, Carl Fink wrote:
> > OK, if the page looks fine to everyone else, why would it be wrong in both
> > Epiphany and Iceweasel on my box?
>
> Epiphany is also based on the Gecko rendering engine, isn't it?
>
> If you use an Intel integrated graphics card with XAA acceleration, try
> the XAANoOffscreenPixmaps workaround (see bug #482992).
>
> > Could it be that I've been reluctant to restart X (up for 74 days) despite
> > installing several upgrades?
>
> To find out which services/processes need restarting after an upgrade,
> run
>
> lsof | grep "path inode"
>
> as root. This should list all processes that hang on to stale files. The
> checkrestart command from "debian-goodies" is supposed to do the same
> thing more comfortably, but this does not work for me at the moment (see
> bug #491235).

There were lots, and restarting X didn't free them. A restart fixed the
problem.

Thanks.

Old 07-19-2008, 01:38 AM
Paul Scott

Carl Fink wrote:
> OK, if the page looks fine to everyone else, why would it be wrong in both
> Epiphany and Iceweasel on my box?
>
> Could it be that I've been reluctant to restart X (up for 74 days) despite
> installing several upgrades?

That page looks fine here on IW3 but it still renders fonts too large on
some other sites.

Paul Scott

Old 07-19-2008, 01:40 AM
Paul Scott

Carl Fink wrote:

>> as root. This should list all processes that hang on to stale files. The
>> checkrestart command from "debian-goodies" is supposed to do the same
>> thing more comfortably, but this does not work for me at the moment (see
>> bug #491235).
>>

> There were lots, and restarting X didn't free them. A restart fixed the
> problem.

You mean rebooting?

Thanks,

Paul