FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-18-2008, 12:23 AM
Andrei Popescu
 
Default Contributing to the Debian website - easier than some think

[breaking the thread on purpose because this is totally unrelated]

On Thu,17.Jul.08, 15:28:09, Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 08:27:25PM +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> > You should contact debian-www about that. I think I recall a discussion
> > about the children-distros page being outdated, but I guess manpower is
> > missing again. I you would be willing to supply patches against the CVS
> > source I'm sure they will be at least looked over. Or maybe that page
>
> Yeah, but you have to download the **WHOLE** website so you can submit
> patches. :-( Makes you think twice about helping. Although, hopefully,
> if you mention it on the debian-www mailing list someone will do the
> necessary without being an #$%@!hole.

I wonder where you got the info that you need to download the whole
website, it should be corrected.

I am contributing translations into my native language and I only have
the entire Romanian part (of course) and the entire English part (~63MB)
which is needed as source and for test builds. I'm not a CVS expert,
but you sure can checkout even less that this, e.g. only a specific
directory which is of interest to you.

If you don't want to use CVS, just go to cvs.debian.org, fetch the .wml
source you need and use diff to create a patch (or just send the entire
.wml if this it to complicated).

Regards,
Andrei
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
(Albert Einstein)
 
Old 07-19-2008, 11:23 PM
Chris Bannister
 
Default Contributing to the Debian website - easier than some think

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 03:23:55AM +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> [breaking the thread on purpose because this is totally unrelated]
>
> On Thu,17.Jul.08, 15:28:09, Chris Bannister wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 08:27:25PM +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> > > You should contact debian-www about that. I think I recall a discussion
> > > about the children-distros page being outdated, but I guess manpower is
> > > missing again. I you would be willing to supply patches against the CVS
> > > source I'm sure they will be at least looked over. Or maybe that page
> >
> > Yeah, but you have to download the **WHOLE** website so you can submit
> > patches. :-( Makes you think twice about helping. Although, hopefully,
> > if you mention it on the debian-www mailing list someone will do the
> > necessary without being an #$%@!hole.
>
> I wonder where you got the info that you need to download the whole
> website, it should be corrected.

It was in a post on the debian-www mailing list in a thread talking
about whether two spaces after a full stop was acceptable English by
M.J Ray, I think.

> I am contributing translations into my native language and I only have
> the entire Romanian part (of course) and the entire English part (~63MB)
> which is needed as source and for test builds. I'm not a CVS expert,
> but you sure can checkout even less that this, e.g. only a specific
> directory which is of interest to you.

Ohh, OK, maybe I read or misunderstood the particular post alluded to.

> If you don't want to use CVS, just go to cvs.debian.org, fetch the .wml
> source you need and use diff to create a patch (or just send the entire
> .wml if this it to complicated).

I'll have a look, cheers.

--
Chris.
======
"One, with God, is always a majority, but many a martyr has been burned
at the stake while the votes were being counted." -- Thomas B. Reed


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 07-19-2008, 11:55 PM
Andrew Sackville-West
 
Default Contributing to the Debian website - easier than some think

On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 11:23:08AM +1200, Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 03:23:55AM +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> > [breaking the thread on purpose because this is totally unrelated]
> >
> > On Thu,17.Jul.08, 15:28:09, Chris Bannister wrote:
> > > On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 08:27:25PM +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> > > > You should contact debian-www about that. I think I recall a discussion
> > > > about the children-distros page being outdated, but I guess manpower is
> > > > missing again. I you would be willing to supply patches against the CVS
> > > > source I'm sure they will be at least looked over. Or maybe that page
> > >
> > > Yeah, but you have to download the **WHOLE** website so you can submit
> > > patches. :-( Makes you think twice about helping. Although, hopefully,
> > > if you mention it on the debian-www mailing list someone will do the
> > > necessary without being an #$%@!hole.
> >
> > I wonder where you got the info that you need to download the whole
> > website, it should be corrected.
>
> It was in a post on the debian-www mailing list in a thread talking
> about whether two spaces after a full stop was acceptable English by
> M.J Ray, I think.

so long as they paint the bike shed red, I don't care how many spaces
they use...

A
 
Old 07-20-2008, 02:39 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom
 
Default Contributing to the Debian website - easier than some think

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 11:23:08AM +1200, Chris Bannister wrote:

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 03:23:55AM +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:

[breaking the thread on purpose because this is totally unrelated]

On Thu,17.Jul.08, 15:28:09, Chris Bannister wrote:

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 08:27:25PM +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:
You should contact debian-www about that. I think I recall a discussion
about the children-distros page being outdated, but I guess manpower is
missing again. I you would be willing to supply patches against the CVS
source I'm sure they will be at least looked over. Or maybe that page

Yeah, but you have to download the **WHOLE** website so you can submit
patches. :-( Makes you think twice about helping. Although, hopefully,
if you mention it on the debian-www mailing list someone will do the
necessary without being an #$%@!hole.

I wonder where you got the info that you need to download the whole
website, it should be corrected.

It was in a post on the debian-www mailing list in a thread talking
about whether two spaces after a full stop was acceptable English by
M.J Ray, I think.


so long as they paint the bike shed red, I don't care how many spaces
they use...



is that bike-shed or shed-red?

Hugo


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 07-20-2008, 05:16 PM
Andrei Popescu
 
Default Contributing to the Debian website - easier than some think

On Sun,20.Jul.08, 11:23:08, Chris Bannister wrote:

> > I wonder where you got the info that you need to download the whole
> > website, it should be corrected.
>
> It was in a post on the debian-www mailing list in a thread talking
> about whether two spaces after a full stop was acceptable English by
> M.J Ray, I think.

Ah, I understand, let me explain:

The Debian website has a system for tracking old translations. Each
translated page has a special header which tells what English CVS
version it refers to.

Now, consider somebody is making cosmetic changes to the English version
(ex. changing " to <q>), this would mark all translations outdated! In
order to prevent this a perl script was written (smartchange.pl) which
also takes care about the translations. Of course, in order for it to
work it must have access to all translations of the page to be changed,
hence the requirement to have a full checkout.

I hope I was able to explain it simply enough, as I'm not sure I
understand it very well (see my .sig).

Regards,
Andrei
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
(Albert Einstein)
 
Old 07-20-2008, 06:44 PM
Andrew Sackville-West
 
Default Contributing to the Debian website - easier than some think

On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 09:39:52AM -0500, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
>> On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 11:23:08AM +1200, Chris Bannister wrote:
>>> On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 03:23:55AM +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:
>>>> [breaking the thread on purpose because this is totally unrelated]
>>>>
>>>> On Thu,17.Jul.08, 15:28:09, Chris Bannister wrote:
>>>>> On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 08:27:25PM +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:
>>>>>> You should contact debian-www about that. I think I recall a
>>>>>> discussion about the children-distros page being outdated, but
>>>>>> I guess manpower is missing again. I you would be willing to
>>>>>> supply patches against the CVS source I'm sure they will be at
>>>>>> least looked over. Or maybe that page
>>>>> Yeah, but you have to download the **WHOLE** website so you can submit
>>>>> patches. :-( Makes you think twice about helping. Although, hopefully,
>>>>> if you mention it on the debian-www mailing list someone will do the
>>>>> necessary without being an #$%@!hole.
>>>> I wonder where you got the info that you need to download the
>>>> whole website, it should be corrected.
>>> It was in a post on the debian-www mailing list in a thread talking
>>> about whether two spaces after a full stop was acceptable English by
>>> M.J Ray, I think.
>>
>> so long as they paint the bike shed red, I don't care how many spaces
>> they use...
>>
>
> is that bike-shed or shed-red?

maybe it should be both? though really it would be barn-red, I
think. That particular color that all barns seem to be painted for no
particular reason I know.

A
 
Old 07-21-2008, 01:16 PM
Chris Bannister
 
Default Contributing to the Debian website - easier than some think

On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 11:44:01AM -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 09:39:52AM -0500, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> > is that bike-shed or shed-red?
>
> maybe it should be both? though really it would be barn-red, I

Red Rose Speedway perhaps:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Rose_Speedway

--
Chris.
======
"One, with God, is always a majority, but many a martyr has been burned
at the stake while the votes were being counted." -- Thomas B. Reed


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:35 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org