Old 07-17-2008, 08:50 PM
Account for Debian group mail

Default Cannot find /dev/parport0 - Solution

On Thu, 17 Jul 2008, Account for Debian group mail wrote:

> Hello Again,
>
> I just upgraded our print server/samba machine from sarge to etch.
>
> In the /var/log/dmesg file i see:
>
> parport: PnPBIOS parport detected.
> parport0: PC-style at 0x378, irq 7 [PCSPP,TRISTATE]
> parport0: Printer, Hewlett-Packard HP LaserJet 6MP
>
> This looks correct.
>

> In the /etc/printcap file I have:
>
> lp|Our Printer:
> :lp=/dev/parport0:
> :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:
> :af=/var/log/lp-acct:
> :lf=/var/log/lp-errs:
> l#66:
> w#80:
> c#150:
> :mx#0:
> :sh:
>
> When I do a "checkpc" I get:
>
> Warning - lp: cannot stat lp device '/dev/parport0' - No such file or directory
>

> What is it that I'm doing wrong?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ken

Well I found a solution thanks to an old post by Mumia W.

Anyway I figured it is a udev problem that is causing the /dev/lp0 file
(that I used to have the printcap pointing too) to go away.

This is an older computer so I think the udev is not working properly and
bring up the proper device. And what a nightmare trying to figure out udev
rules.

So anyway I created a new directory "/s-dev". And in this directory I
created 3 new device files:

mknod /s-dev/lp0 c 6 0
mknod /s-dev/lp1 c 6 1
mknod /s-dev/lp2 c 6 2

change the ownership of these new device files:

chown root:lp *

change the group to write permissions:

chmod g+w lp*

edited my /etc/printcap file to:

:lp=/s-dev/lp0:

restarted /etc/init.d/lpd and lprng

and we have a printer again.

Ken

Old 07-17-2008, 10:45 PM
Ólafur Jens Siguršsson

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 01:50:06PM -0700, Account for Debian group mail wrote:

> Anyway I figured it is a udev problem that is causing the /dev/lp0 file
> (that I used to have the printcap pointing too) to go away.
>
> This is an older computer so I think the udev is not working properly and
> bring up the proper device. And what a nightmare trying to figure out udev
> rules.

This looks like a bug in udev, try filing a bug report against it and
see what the developers say (give them specifcs about your setup).

Cheers

Oli

Old 07-18-2008, 08:17 AM
Florian Kulzer

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 00:45:29 +0200, Ólafur Jens Siguršsson wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 01:50:06PM -0700, Account for Debian group mail wrote:
>
> > Anyway I figured it is a udev problem that is causing the /dev/lp0 file
> > (that I used to have the printcap pointing too) to go away.
> >
> > This is an older computer so I think the udev is not working properly and
> > bring up the proper device. And what a nightmare trying to figure out udev
> > rules.
> >

> This looks like a bug in udev, try filing a bug report against it and
> see what the developers say (give them specifcs about your setup).

Please try "modprobe lp" first (maybe also parport and parport_pc). It
is only a udev bug if the device nodes are not created when these
modules are loaded. (see /usr/share/doc/udev/README.Debian.gz)

Florian |