Old 07-17-2008, 08:01 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

Default Marvell 88E80856 switching from static to dhcp configuration all on its own

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 11:14:25AM -0700, Freddy Freeloader wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm having a strange problem with a Marvell 88E8056 - 10/100/1000
> Controller on a Biostar TA 770 A2+ motherboard. This is an Etch AMD64
> install, but I have added the 2.6.25-amd64 kernel as I could not get the
> Marvell controller to work at all with the 2.6.18 kernel.

> I have two NICs. The onboard Marvell and a 3Com 3c905b. The 3Com
> handles dhcp and dns requests. Both are configured for statically
> configured IP addresses in /etc/network/interfaces. However, the
> Marvell will, after some unknown amount of time--less than 12
> hours--drop its static IP address and request a dhcp address from the
> 3Com adapter.

> I'm assuming this is a bug in the sky2 module, but don't know enough
> about things in this area to do more than assume.

I bet it's not a driver problem but simply that you have inadvertently
started a dhclient. It picks up a lease from somewhere, but then you
restart networking which reverts the interface to a static
address. Then when the dhclient thinks the lease has expired, it goes
and gets another one.

I've seen this happen on my laptop when I've been monkeying around
with getting a connection at a new location. I'll forget that I
manually started dhclient and then some time later... maybe days, I'll
connect somewhere where I get static ip (like home) and then all of
the sudden the dhclient will wake up and go looking for a new
address...

probably a killall dhclient will sort it out.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:52 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 01:36:43PM -0700, Freddy Freeloader wrote:
> Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 11:14:25AM -0700, Freddy Freeloader wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I'm having a strange problem with a Marvell 88E8056 - 10/100/1000
>>> Controller on a Biostar TA 770 A2+ motherboard. This is an Etch
>>> AMD64 install, but I have added the 2.6.25-amd64 kernel as I could
>>> not get the Marvell controller to work at all with the 2.6.18
>>> kernel.

>>> I have two NICs. The onboard Marvell and a 3Com 3c905b. The 3Com
>>> handles dhcp and dns requests. Both are configured for statically
>>> configured IP addresses in /etc/network/interfaces. However, the
>>> Marvell will, after some unknown amount of time--less than 12
>>> hours--drop its static IP address and request a dhcp address from the
>>> 3Com adapter.

>>> I'm assuming this is a bug in the sky2 module, but don't know enough
>>> about things in this area to do more than assume.
>>
>> I bet it's not a driver problem but simply that you have inadvertently
>> started a dhclient. It picks up a lease from somewhere, but then you
>> restart networking which reverts the interface to a static
>> address. Then when the dhclient thinks the lease has expired, it goes
>> and gets another one.
>>
>> I've seen this happen on my laptop when I've been monkeying around
>> with getting a connection at a new location. I'll forget that I
>> manually started dhclient and then some time later... maybe days, I'll
>> connect somewhere where I get static ip (like home) and then all of
>> the sudden the dhclient will wake up and go looking for a new
>> address...
>>
>> probably a killall dhclient will sort it out.
>>

> I wondered about it, but it didn't make sense in that the networking
> system is completely ignoring its own configuration. Plus, this
> behavior has survived several reboots of the system. However, I will
> give that a try and see if the behavior changes.

do you have network-mangler^Wmanager installed?

perhaps some other package is starting dhclient? Basically, if you
have both interfaces using static ip, dhclient shouldn't even be
started. care to post /etc/network/interfaces?

Old 07-17-2008, 10:24 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 02:30:42PM -0700, Freddy Freeloader wrote:
> Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
[...]
[...]
[...]
>>> [i] will give that a try and see if the behavior changes.
[...]
>> perhaps some other package is starting dhclient? Basically, if you
>> have both interfaces using static ip, dhclient shouldn't even be
>> started. care to post /etc/network/interfaces?
[...]
> For some reason dhclient WAS running, but I don't know why.

if it reappears, try a `ps aux`, maybe there will be a clue there as
to where it's coming from. And after a reboot, run

watch grep dhclient /var/log/syslog

or some equivalent and watch for it to show up.

> You wouldn't happen to have any guesses on the second problem I listed
> would you?

nope, sorry.

Old 07-18-2008, 04:20 AM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 06:53:25PM -0700, Freddy Freeloader wrote:

> These troubleshooting suggestions really don't help explain to me why
> dhclient would override the settings in /etc/network/interfaces for one
> NIC and not the other though. And why would it override manual
> settings? Isn't there some process watching the settings in
> /etc/network/interfaces to stop just such a thing from happening, or
> doesn't the driver and device itself record its state so that dhclient
> wouldn't even attempt this unless there is some type of user override,
> i.e. ifdown/ifup, /etc/init.d/networking restart, etc... ?

so far as I know, interfaces is only read once, when it's needed, at
the time the interface is upped. Once it's up, that file's not
read. You can test this by upping an interface, commenting it out of
interfaces and then trying to down the interface (ifdown). It will
fail because it can't find the interface in the file. At least that's
how I remember it.

> There's something going on that I really don't understand here, and just
> troubleshooting it at the level shown here doesn't seem to me that it
> will answer my base questions. Can anyone point me to documentation on
> how this works, because I must be missing something.
>
> Why wouldn't restarting networking not have killed dhclient after
> /etc/network/interfaces was read, the NIC's configured, and all NIC's
> were configured with a static IP address?

dhclient doesn't care about /etc/network/interfaces at all. It just tries to get
dhcp lease over the specified interfaces. Why only the one interface?
because something is specifying that interface to dhclient. WHy
doesn't the process get killed? because the rest of the networking
system doesn't know about it. When you start networking, or do an
ifup, those scripts keep track of the dhclient that it starts by
pid. If dhclient is started by some other process, those scripts don't
know about it. At least, again, that's how I understand it. That comes
from just using them a lot, playing with it to see what it does. The
canonical answer is to be found in the code.

best