Old 07-17-2008, 07:35 PM
Account for Debian group mail

Default Cannot find /dev/parport0 - ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Hello Again,

I just upgraded our print server/samba machine from sarge to etch.

In the /var/log/dmesg file i see:

parport: PnPBIOS parport detected.
parport0: PC-style at 0x378, irq 7 [PCSPP,TRISTATE]
parport0: Printer, Hewlett-Packard HP LaserJet 6MP

This looks correct.

In the /etc/printcap file I have:

lp|Our Printer:
:lp=/dev/parport0:
:sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:
:af=/var/log/lp-acct:
:lf=/var/log/lp-errs:
l#66:
w#80:
c#150:
:mx#0:
:sh:

When I do a "checkpc" I get:

Warning - lp: cannot stat lp device '/dev/parport0' - No such file or directory

What is it that I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,

Ken

Old 07-17-2008, 08:06 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 12:35:23PM -0700, Account for Debian group mail wrote:

> Hello Again,
>
> I just upgraded our print server/samba machine from sarge to etch.
>
> In the /var/log/dmesg file i see:
>
> parport: PnPBIOS parport detected.
> parport0: PC-style at 0x378, irq 7 [PCSPP,TRISTATE]
> parport0: Printer, Hewlett-Packard HP LaserJet 6MP
>
> This looks correct.
>

> In the /etc/printcap file I have:
>
> lp|Our Printer:
> :lp=/dev/parport0:
> :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:
> :af=/var/log/lp-acct:
> :lf=/var/log/lp-errs:
> l#66:
> w#80:
> c#150:
> :mx#0:
> :sh:
>
> When I do a "checkpc" I get:
>
> Warning - lp: cannot stat lp device '/dev/parport0' - No such file or directory
>

> What is it that I'm doing wrong?

well first, you are expecting help in approximately two and a half
hours from an all volunteer list... and yelling when you don't get
it.

I don't know much about parallel ports anymore, but the first thing I
would do is grep for "parport" in /var/log/syslog in case it shows up
somewhere else. It's possible that udev is doing something tricky like
moving it to a different node. Also I would ls /dev and look through that
for other things that might be a parport.

hth...