Old 07-17-2008, 06:16 PM
"David Denney"

Default dumb question about tar

Hello all,
When you tar a file (i.e. a backup) to a destination disk, does tar build
the file on the destination disk, or does it create it in a tmp file,
memory, etc then move it to the final destination? I have to think it
builds it in the destination location, but want to make sure.

Thanks
David

Old 07-17-2008, 07:47 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 07-19-2008, 10:37 AM
"James Youngman"

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 7:16 PM, David Denney
<ddenney@cuttingtoolsinc.net> wrote:
> Hello all,
> When you tar a file (i.e. a backup) to a destination disk, does tar build
> the file on the destination disk, or does it create it in a tmp file,
> memory, etc then move it to the final destination? I have to think it
> builds it in the destination location, but want to make sure.

FWIW you can find out the answer yourself by using "strace".

James.