Old 07-17-2008, 04:07 PM
Anton Liaukevich

Default Sound doesn't work on my system (lenny)

Sound doesn't work on my system. Neither system sounds in KDE, nor
music123, nor vlc utter sound.

My hardware:
Sound is integrated (AC'97)
motherboard: Epox 8RDA3I rev 3.3
northbridge: nForce 2 Ultra
southbridge: MCP
AC'97 codec: from Realtek

My software:
Debian lenny
kernel: linux 2.6.24-1-686

Old 07-17-2008, 04:15 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 07-17-2008, 04:28 PM
Anton Liaukevich

Ron Johnson wrote:

Installed modules:

$ lsmod | grep ^snd
snd_intel8x0 32028 0
snd_ac97_codec 92932 1 snd_intel8x0
snd_pcm_oss 38272 0
snd_pcm 71780 3 snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss
snd_mixer_oss 15296 1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_seq_dummy 3780 0
snd_mpu401 8008 0
snd_mpu401_uart 8000 1 snd_mpu401
snd_rawmidi 22624 1 snd_mpu401_uart
snd_seq_oss 29472 0
snd_seq_midi_event 6976 1 snd_seq_oss
snd_seq 46544 5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_timer 21092 2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
snd_seq_device 7820 4
snd_seq_dummy,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
snd 48612 12
snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_pcm,sn d_mixer_oss,snd_mpu401,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_rawmidi ,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device

snd_page_alloc 10056 2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm

Old 07-17-2008, 04:54 PM
Anton Liaukevich

Ron Johnson wrote:

Sound doesn't work on my system. Neither system sounds in KDE, nor
music123, nor vlc utter sound.

My hardware:
Sound is integrated (AC'97)
motherboard: Epox 8RDA3I rev 3.3
northbridge: nForce 2 Ultra
southbridge: MCP
AC'97 codec: from Realtek

My software:
Debian lenny
kernel: linux 2.6.24-1-686

Is sound muted? Which sound modules are installed?

$ lsmod | grep ^snd

Old 07-17-2008, 05:43 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 07-17-2008, 05:49 PM
Nigel Henry

On Thursday 17 July 2008 18:54, Anton Liaukevich wrote:
> Ron Johnson wrote:
> > On 07/17/08 11:07, Anton Liaukevich wrote:
> >> Sound doesn't work on my system. Neither system sounds in KDE, nor
> >> music123, nor vlc utter sound.
> >>
> >> My hardware:
> >> Sound is integrated (AC'97)
> >> motherboard: Epox 8RDA3I rev 3.3
> >> northbridge: nForce 2 Ultra
> >> southbridge: MCP
> >> AC'97 codec: from Realtek
> >>
> >> My software:
> >> Debian lenny
> >> kernel: linux 2.6.24-1-686
> >
> > Is sound muted? Which sound modules are installed?
> >
> > $ lsmod | grep ^snd
>
> Installed modules:
>
> $ lsmod | grep ^snd
> snd_intel8x0 32028 0
> snd_ac97_codec 92932 1 snd_intel8x0
> snd_pcm_oss 38272 0
> snd_pcm 71780 3 snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss
> snd_mixer_oss 15296 1 snd_pcm_oss
> snd_seq_dummy 3780 0
> snd_mpu401 8008 0
> snd_mpu401_uart 8000 1 snd_mpu401
> snd_rawmidi 22624 1 snd_mpu401_uart
> snd_seq_oss 29472 0
> snd_seq_midi_event 6976 1 snd_seq_oss
> snd_seq 46544 5
> snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event snd_timer 21092
> 2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
> snd_seq_device 7820 4
> snd_seq_dummy,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
> snd 48612 12
> snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_pcm,sn d_mixer_oss,snd_mpu401,sn
>d_mpu401_uart,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd _timer,snd_seq_device
> snd_page_alloc 10056 2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm

Hi Anton. I notice that the "soundcore" module doesn't show on your lsmod,
which it does on my Lenny install, but with a different soundcard. does your
full lsmod show the "soundcore" module installed?

What do you get if you run.
cat /proc/asound/cards
Is your soundcard listed as card0?

Just another thought. Are you as user listed as a user for the audio group
in /etc/group?

Try alsamixer on the CLI as user. Perhaps there are controls muted. the M key
unmutes them. Perhaps sliders just need to be pushed up a bit. It's usual for
alsamixer to set things at a low level, to protect your speakers, and ears.

I have just built a new machine which has a MCP61 southbridge, but don't have
Lenny installed on it yet, and anyway the mobo is using snd-hda-intel. Sounds
work ok, and the nearest to Lenny that is installed, is Kubuntu Gutsy Gibbon
at the moment.

The latest kernel on my Lenny install is 2.6.21-2-686, but I did see some
problems on the alsa-devel list with either 2.6.24, or 2.6.25 kernels, and
MCP51, MCP61, and some other (sorry I've dumped the post). it will be in the
alsa-devel archives though.

All I can think of at the moment.

Nigel.

Old 07-17-2008, 06:50 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Thu,17.Jul.08, 19:07:45, Anton Liaukevich wrote:
> Sound doesn't work on my system. Neither system sounds in KDE, nor
> music123, nor vlc utter sound.

First make sure you have the needed alsa packages installed. That should
be alsa-utils and alsa-base.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Old 07-18-2008, 12:28 AM
"Star Liu"

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 12:07 AM, Anton Liaukevich <anthonyl@uvaga.by> wrote:
> Sound doesn't work on my system. Neither system sounds in KDE, nor music123,
> nor vlc utter sound.
>
> My hardware:
> Sound is integrated (AC'97)
> motherboard: Epox 8RDA3I rev 3.3
> northbridge: nForce 2 Ultra
> southbridge: MCP
> AC'97 codec: from Realtek

it seems your sound card is the same as mine, my solution is:

#apt-get install libesd-alsa0
#alsaconf, follow the default settings
now we can listen to music by Applications->Sound & Video-> RhythmBox
Music Player or Movie Player

--
Regards!
Star

Old 07-18-2008, 01:47 PM
Anton Liaukevich

Anton Liaukevich wrote:
Sound doesn't work on my system. Neither system sounds in KDE, nor
music123, nor vlc utter sound.

My hardware:
Sound is integrated (AC'97)
motherboard: Epox 8RDA3I rev 3.3
northbridge: nForce 2 Ultra
southbridge: MCP
AC'97 codec: from Realtek

My software:
Debian lenny
kernel: linux 2.6.24-1-686

Hello, Ron Johnson & Nigel Henry & Andrei Popescu & Star Liu. Thank you
very much for sound that has begun to work yet.

I have include myself to 'audio' group, install 'alsa-utils' package
(with dependencies and recommends) (while configuring them in Debconf, I
select ALSA system). Then I ran 'alsamixer' where unmute sound. After it
sound began to work.

P.S. I decided not to configure ALSA with 'alsaconf' because I have not
very old kernel. Please, correct me if I have done something bad.

Old 07-18-2008, 02:20 PM
Ron Johnson