Old 07-17-2008, 03:19 PM
"Javier Vasquez"

Default Gtk fonts on non desktop (non gnome) X environment.

Hi,

I use fluxbox, with no desktop (no kde, no gnome no xfce, ...). But I
have the problem of not being able to configure the fonts for the gtk
guis... For example I can't make the tab menus, readable for me on
icedove, iceweasel, iceape, etc... I had the same problem for
icedove, but there was a kind plugin to modify its gtk fonts, although
I haven't found the same thing for other applications. I guess the
same apply for qt applications ( I haven't installed skype yet, but I
guess I'll have the same problem).

Is there a configuration file I can create by hand under
~/.<some_name> which would help me accomplish getting the fonts I'd
like to see?

Thanks,

--
Javier

Old 07-17-2008, 03:48 PM
"Mumia W.."

I use fluxbox, with no desktop (no kde, no gnome no xfce, ...). But I
have the problem of not being able to configure the fonts for the gtk
guis [...]

Try launching the gnome-settings-daemon; it may improve the font size
immediately; if not, experiment with the gconf-editor.

Is there a configuration file I can create by hand under
~/.<some_name> which would help me accomplish getting the fonts I'd
like to see?

Thanks,

The gconf-editor changes files under ~/.gconf/ .

Old 07-17-2008, 05:08 PM
Amit Uttamchandani

On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 09:19:06 -0600
"Javier Vasquez" <jevv.cr@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I use fluxbox, with no desktop (no kde, no gnome no xfce, ...). But I
> have the problem of not being able to configure the fonts for the gtk
> guis... For example I can't make the tab menus, readable for me on
> icedove, iceweasel, iceape, etc... I had the same problem for
> icedove, but there was a kind plugin to modify its gtk fonts, although
> I haven't found the same thing for other applications. I guess the
> same apply for qt applications ( I haven't installed skype yet, but I
> guess I'll have the same problem).
>
> Is there a configuration file I can create by hand under
> ~/.<some_name> which would help me accomplish getting the fonts I'd
> like to see?
>
> Thanks,

I use DMW (Dynamic Window Manager) without GNOME/KDE. I use gtk apps
almost exclusively and configure the settings via ~/.gtkrc-2.0. Here is
what mine looks like:

gtk-theme-name = "AIR"
gtk-font-name = "Liberation Sans 11"
gtk-icon-theme-name = "Tango"

AMit

Old 07-17-2008, 06:00 PM
"Javier Vasquez"

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 9:32 AM, Jochen Schulz <ml@well-adjusted.de> wrote:
> Javier Vasquez:
>>
>> Is there a configuration file I can create by hand under
>> ~/.<some_name> which would help me accomplish getting the fonts I'd
>> like to see?
>
> IIRC ~/.gtkrc-2.0. I don't have an example at hand but you will find
> examples when googling for that filename.
>
> J.

OK, your comment was right except that it didn't fix iceape guys
neither iceweasel/icedove... For those:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Pane_and_menu_fonts

are the solution. For pidgin there's a useful plugin to install:

pidgin-extprefs

which allows gtk configurations... Now just editing ~/.gtkrc-2.0 was
not enough for gtk applications such as gftp, installing:

gtk-theme-switch

was necessary... I'm wondering if something similar needs to be done
for QT applications such as skype... I'll probably start a new thread
if so, ...

Thanks,

--
Javier

Old 07-17-2008, 06:04 PM
Amit Uttamchandani

On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 12:00:34 -0600
"Javier Vasquez" <jevv.cr@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 9:32 AM, Jochen Schulz <ml@well-adjusted.de>
> wrote:
> > Javier Vasquez:
> >>
> >> Is there a configuration file I can create by hand under
> >> ~/.<some_name> which would help me accomplish getting the fonts I'd
> >> like to see?
> >
> > IIRC ~/.gtkrc-2.0. I don't have an example at hand but you will find
> > examples when googling for that filename.
> >
> > J.
>
> OK, your comment was right except that it didn't fix iceape guys
> neither iceweasel/icedove... For those:
>
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Pane_and_menu_fonts
>
> are the solution. For pidgin there's a useful plugin to install:
>
> pidgin-extprefs
>
> which allows gtk configurations... Now just editing ~/.gtkrc-2.0 was
> not enough for gtk applications such as gftp, installing:
>
> gtk-theme-switch
>
> was necessary... I'm wondering if something similar needs to be done
> for QT applications such as skype... I'll probably start a new thread
> if so, ...
>
> Thanks,

For qt applications there is a 'qtconfig' app that you can install.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:09 PM
"Javier Vasquez"

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 12:47 PM, Andrei Popescu
<andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu,17.Jul.08, 09:19:06, Javier Vasquez wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I use fluxbox, with no desktop (no kde, no gnome no xfce, ...). But I
>> have the problem of not being able to configure the fonts for the gtk
>> guis... For example I can't make the tab menus, readable for me on
>> icedove, iceweasel, iceape, etc... I had the same problem for
>> icedove, but there was a kind plugin to modify its gtk fonts, although
>> I haven't found the same thing for other applications. I guess the
>> same apply for qt applications ( I haven't installed skype yet, but I
>> guess I'll have the same problem).
>>
>> Is there a configuration file I can create by hand under
>> ~/.<some_name> which would help me accomplish getting the fonts I'd
>> like to see?
>
> Not exactly what you want to know, but before setting the fonts you
> should make sure your dpi is correct.
>
> Regards,
> Andrei

Absolutely right. With setting dpi, I don't have to change the gtk
fonts, and most probably the kde ones either... Here it's what I
changed:

% head -1 .Xresources
Xft.dpi : 170

Thanks,