-   -   Aptitude/apt search question (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/126519-aptitude-apt-search-question.html)

Bob Cox 07-17-2008 02:35 PM

Aptitude/apt search question

I may be missing the blindingly obvious, so apologies if so.

I wanted to run the 'ip' command and found it wasn't installed on the
particular box I was using. As it was installed on another machine I
was able to:

bob@trantor:~$ which ip
/bin/ip

bob@trantor:~$ dpkg -S ip | grep '/bin/ip$'
iproute: /bin/ip

So I knew I needed the 'iproute' package. Problem solved.

However, if I hadn't had it installed on that other machine, how could I
have discovered which package I needed *without* using the excellent
package search facility at
http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages#search_contents - is this sort of
search possible with aptitude and/or apt-cache etc?

Steve Kemp 07-17-2008 02:40 PM

Aptitude/apt search question

> However, if I hadn't had it installed on that other machine, how could I
> have discovered which package I needed *without* using the excellent
> package search facility at
> http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages#search_contents - is this sort of
> search possible with aptitude and/or apt-cache etc?

Yes, via the apt-file package:

Steve
--
Managed Anti-Spam Service
http://mail-scanning.com/

"Eugene V. Lyubimkin" 07-17-2008 02:42 PM

Aptitude/apt search question

Bob Cox 07-17-2008 02:46 PM

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 17:42:58 +0300, Eugene V. Lyubimkin (jackyf.devel@gmail.com) wrote:

> man apt-file

Steve, Eugene - many thanks. Have just installed apt-file and will have
a play with it now.

Florian Kulzer 07-18-2008 07:39 AM

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 15:35:28 +0100, Bob Cox wrote:
> I may be missing the blindingly obvious, so apologies if so.
>
> I wanted to run the 'ip' command and found it wasn't installed on the
> particular box I was using. As it was installed on another machine I
> was able to:
>
> bob@trantor:~$ which ip
> /bin/ip
>
> bob@trantor:~$ dpkg -S ip | grep '/bin/ip$'
> iproute: /bin/ip
>
> So I knew I needed the 'iproute' package. Problem solved.
>
> However, if I hadn't had it installed on that other machine, how could I
> have discovered which package I needed *without* using the excellent
> package search facility at
> http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages#search_contents - is this sort of
> search possible with aptitude and/or apt-cache etc?

It is possible for etc = apt-file.

Florian |