Old 11-20-2007, 01:33 PM
"jamesfoster"

Default Can't set up internet connection

Hi,
I have installed Debian 4.0 ETCH on an 'acer' laptop. I have followed the help pages to set up a modem based connection, but when I have the dialogue box I can only see an 'ethernet' connection to enable, and the 'add' and 'delete' buttons that the help page tell me to use are absent (there are only 'activate' or 'deactivate' buttons). Without an 'add' button, I don't see what I can do.
Please help!
James

Old 11-20-2007, 03:43 PM
John Hasler

jamesfoster writes:
> I have installed Debian 4.0 ETCH on an 'acer' laptop. I have followed
> the help pages to set up a modem based connection, but when I have the
> dialogue box...

What dialog box? Exactly what did you do and exactly what happened?

> Please help!

Run pppconfig as root and follow instructions. Use 'pon' to start the
connection and 'poff' to stop it, or use the "Advanced" menu in pppconfig
to set up demand-dialing. If you need a pointy-clicky front-end for pon
and poff install gpppon.
--
John Hasler

Old 11-22-2007, 02:34 PM
"jamesfoster"

Hi,
I downloaded the wvdial program and tried to open it with Gdebi package installer. I got the error message:

'Error: Dependency is not satisfied: libanicon f4.2.'

I downloaded the package for the i386 architecture, which I believe my laptop is, (and in fact I tested with another package and got the error message 'Architecture not suitable')