-   -   DMA is turned off on my HDD (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/126489-dma-turned-off-my-hdd.html)

07-17-2008 12:47 PM

DMA is turned off on my HDD

> In the beginning of July I reinstall my Debian system (lenny). At once I
> discover that loading cache in Aptitude (ncurses-UI mode) is very slow
> and in general my system is very slow.
>
> In several days I discovered that DMA is turned off on my HDD (fsck
> sayed it while Debian booting). Please, help me turn on DMA mode.

[snip]
> I had scanned my hdd with native WD scanner and hadn't detected any
> error. Memory scan (memtest86+) also hadn't detected any error.
> Moreover, Windows XP on another partition of this hdd working normally
> and HDD Health program on it (for S.M.A.R.T viewing) don't predict
> T.E.C. in the near future. Also after previous installation of Debian
> lenny my hdd was working fast.

Use hdparm command to see if the DMS is enabled, if not enable it with the -d flag. If that action makes your system "faster" configure /etc/hdparm.conf to
enable the DMA on boot.

Hope it helps,
Pavlos

Ron Johnson 07-17-2008 01:35 PM

DMA is turned off on my HDD

Ron Johnson 07-17-2008 01:43 PM

DMA is turned off on my HDD

Ron Johnson 07-17-2008 01:45 PM

DMA is turned off on my HDD

Bob Cox 07-17-2008 02:05 PM

DMA is turned off on my HDD

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 08:45:41 -0500, Ron Johnson (ron.l.johnson@cox.net) wrote:

> > On 07/17/08 06:48, Anton Liaukevich wrote:

[snip]

> >> My hardware:
> >> motherboard: Epox 8RDA3I rev 3.3 (nForce 2 Ultra)
> >> hdd: WD1200JB (ide, 120gb)
> >> cpu: Sempron 2200 (k7)

> Scratch the chipset driver. It's the SATA driver. nForce2 is old
> enough that it almost definitely needs sata_nv.

Is that right Ron? The OP says it's IDE. I'm using a WD2000JB IDE here
and definitely no SATA drivers.

Ron Johnson 07-17-2008 02:15 PM

DMA is turned off on my HDD

Anton Liaukevich 07-17-2008 02:20 PM

DMA is turned off on my HDD

Pavlos Parissis wrote:

[...]

I have tried using "hdparm" (under root) command but it don't help.

command "hdparm -d /dev/hda" outputs:
/dev/hda:
using_dma = 0 (off)

command "hdparm -d 1 /dev/hda" outputs:
/dev/hda:
setting using_dma to 1 (on)
HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
using_dma = 0 (off)

07-17-2008 02:32 PM

DMA is turned off on my HDD

> Pavlos Parissis wrote:
> >> In the beginning of July I reinstall my Debian system (lenny). At once I
> >> discover that loading cache in Aptitude (ncurses-UI mode) is very slow
> >> and in general my system is very slow.
> >>
> >> In several days I discovered that DMA is turned off on my HDD (fsck
> >> sayed it while Debian booting). Please, help me turn on DMA mode.
> >>

> > [snip]
> >> I had scanned my hdd with native WD scanner and hadn't detected any
> >> error. Memory scan (memtest86+) also hadn't detected any error.
> >> Moreover, Windows XP on another partition of this hdd working normally
> >> and HDD Health program on it (for S.M.A.R.T viewing) don't predict
> >> T.E.C. in the near future. Also after previous installation of Debian
> >> lenny my hdd was working fast.
> >
> > Use hdparm command to see if the DMS is enabled, if not enable it with the -d flag. If that action makes your system "faster" configure /etc/hdparm.conf to
> > enable the DMA on boot.
> >
> > Hope it helps,
> > Pavlos
> >

> I have tried using "hdparm" (under root) command but it don't help.
>
> command "hdparm -d /dev/hda" outputs:
> /dev/hda:
> using_dma = 0 (off)
>
> command "hdparm -d 1 /dev/hda" outputs:
> /dev/hda:
> setting using_dma to 1 (on)
> HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
> using_dma = 0 (off)

As Ron has written you may face a problem with the driver which is being used
by the kernel for managing this disk.
Try the following to see which driver is being used.

readlink /sys/block/hda/device/driver

Cheers,
Pavlos

Anton Liaukevich 07-17-2008 02:57 PM

DMA is turned off on my HDD

Ron Johnson wrote:

I tried "grep JMI /boot/config-2.6.24-1-686" under root and it had outputed:

CONFIG_BLK_DEV_JMICRON=m
# CONFIG_PATA_JMICRON is not set

Anton Liaukevich 07-17-2008 03:14 PM

DMA is turned off on my HDD

Pavlos Parissis wrote:

Pavlos Parissis wrote:

[...]

"readlink /sys/block/hda/device/driver" outputs:
../../../bus/ide/drivers/ide-disk