Old 07-29-2008, 03:01 PM
Andrei Popescu

Default DMA is turned off on my HDD

> amd74xx module seems to be included in my initrd:

[...]

> lib/modules/2.6.25-2-686/kernel/drivers/ide/ide-generic.ko

And so is ide-generic. You could try to rebuild the initrd without it,
BUT:

1. I don't know how to do it
2. You might end up with an unbootable system

For 1. it might be enough to just rebuild the initrd with the
blacklisted module. Otherwise you will have to unpack it, remove the
module and repack it. You should be able to find instructions on the net
for this procedure.

To avoid 2. it would be best to keep the current initrds and create a
backup stanza in grub to use it.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Old 07-29-2008, 03:36 PM
Ron Johnson

On 07/29/08 09:36, Anton Liaukevich wrote:
> Anton Liaukevich wrote:
[snip]

>> anthony@leva:~$ cat /proc/interrupts
>> CPU0
>> 0: 66 IO-APIC-edge timer
>> 1: 2570 IO-APIC-edge i8042
>> 3: 2 IO-APIC-edge
>> 4: 2 IO-APIC-edge
>> 6: 5 IO-APIC-edge floppy
>> 7: 0 IO-APIC-edge parport0
>> 8: 2 IO-APIC-edge rtc0
>> 9: 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi acpi
>> 10: 0 IO-APIC-edge MPU401 UART
>> 12: 100951 IO-APIC-edge i8042
>> 14: 604231 IO-APIC-edge ide0
>> 15: 20161 IO-APIC-edge ide1
>> 17: 742 IO-APIC-fasteoi eth1
>> 20: 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi ohci_hcd:usb2
>> 21: 4317 IO-APIC-fasteoi ehci_hcd:usb1, NVidia nForce2
>> 22: 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi ohci_hcd:usb3
>> NMI: 0 Non-maskable interrupts
>> LOC: 117665 Local timer interrupts
>> RES: 0 Rescheduling interrupts
>> CAL: 0 function call interrupts
>> TLB: 0 TLB shootdowns
>> TRM: 0 Thermal event interrupts
>> SPU: 0 Spurious interrupts
>> ERR: 0
>> MIS: 0
>>
>> I'm novice in Linux and I don't know how to see which module
>> has IRQs 14 and 15. Commands "lsmod | grep '604231|20161'" & "ps -A |
>> grep '604231|20161'" output nothing. Moreover I have noticed that
>> numbers in the second column of 'cat /proc/interrupts' output
>> sometimes changes (I have been running it several times).
>> Unfortunately, I haven't found in man any documentation about
>> '/proc/interrupts' file format.
>>
> After a little googling I have understand that numbers in the second
> column are simply count of interrupt attached to given IRQs but I want
> to know how to see which module has given IRQ.

ISTM that the last column shows you which driver holds each
interrupt. For example:

1 i8042
6 floppy
7 parport