Old 07-17-2008, 11:48 AM
Anton Liaukevich

Default DMA is turned off on my HDD

In the beginning of July I reinstall my Debian system (lenny). At once I
discover that loading cache in Aptitude (ncurses-UI mode) is very slow
and in general my system is very slow.

In several days I discovered that DMA is turned off on my HDD (fsck
sayed it while Debian booting). Please, help me turn on DMA mode.

My hardware:
motherboard: Epox 8RDA3I rev 3.3 (nForce 2 Ultra)
hdd: WD1200JB (ide, 120gb)
cpu: Sempron 2200 (k7)

My software:
Debian lenny
kernel: linux 2.6.24-1-686
bootloader: grub 0.97-41

My Linux partitions:
hda3: / ReiserFS
hda4: /usr/local/ Ext3
hda7: swap
hda8: /home/ EXt3

I had scanned my hdd with native WD scanner and hadn't detected any
error. Memory scan (memtest86+) also hadn't detected any error.
Moreover, Windows XP on another partition of this hdd working normally
and HDD Health program on it (for S.M.A.R.T viewing) don't predict
T.E.C. in the near future. Also after previous installation of Debian
lenny my hdd was working fast.