-   -   Don't edit posts and claim OP posted it!! (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/126354-dont-edit-posts-claim-op-posted.html)

John Devereux 07-17-2008 08:27 AM

Chris Bannister <mockingbird@earthlight.co.nz> writes:

> On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 05:28:38PM +0100, Steven Maddox (Cyorxamp) wrote:
>> Damon L. Chesser wrote:
> [..]
>>> I thought you said an alpha release. That is testing. I am not a
>>> developer and I don't use testing, I use Sid. In my eight years with
>>> Debian, testing seems a ....... BLAH BLAH BLAH
>
> Hey!
> Damon did not write that! It is extremely bad etiquette to edit
> someones posts like that.
>
> DON'T DO IT!
>
> <Flabergasted that no one has commented>

But he *did* write that - he quoted the OP, as indicated by the
correct number of ">>" being used. It remained clear he was not the
original author. True, the original authors name was snipped.

--

John Devereux

"Damon L. Chesser" 07-17-2008 11:31 AM

On Thursday 17 July 2008 04:27:00 am John Devereux wrote:
> Chris Bannister <mockingbird@earthlight.co.nz> writes:
> > On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 05:28:38PM +0100, Steven Maddox (Cyorxamp) wrote:
> >> Damon L. Chesser wrote:
> >
> > [..]

Snip
> > <Flabergasted that no one has commented>
>
> But he *did* write that - he quoted the OP, as indicated by the
> correct number of ">>" being used. It remained clear he was not the
> original author. True, the original authors name was snipped.
>
> --
>
> John Devereux

It is the quoted .....BLAH BLAH BLAH that Carl is commenting on. Thanks
Carl, I did not write "Blah blah blah" but that is no big deal. That was
just a mistake in quoting. That happens. I did not even notice it, but just
mentally supplied the intent: The responder did not like my reply. His
choice.

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com

John Devereux 07-17-2008 11:49 AM

"Damon L. Chesser" <damon@damtek.com> writes:

> On Thursday 17 July 2008 04:27:00 am John Devereux wrote:
>> Chris Bannister <mockingbird@earthlight.co.nz> writes:
>> >
>> > [..]

> Snip
>> > <Flabergasted that no one has commented>
>>
>> But he *did* write that - he quoted the OP, as indicated by the
>> correct number of ">>" being used. It remained clear he was not the
>> original author. True, the original authors name was snipped.
>>
>> --
>>
>> John Devereux
>
> It is the quoted .....BLAH BLAH BLAH that Carl is commenting on. Thanks
> Carl, I did not write "Blah blah blah" but that is no big deal. That was
> just a mistake in quoting. That happens. I did not even notice it, but just
> mentally supplied the intent: The responder did not like my reply. His
> choice.

Oh I see, my apologies.

I have myself been occasionally rebuked for accidental excessive
snippage, creating the situation

xxx wrote
>> yyy
>> yyy

Sorry for the noise.

--

John Devereux

Carl Fink 07-17-2008 11:54 AM

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 07:31:01AM -0400, Damon L. Chesser wrote:
> On Thursday 17 July 2008 04:27:00 am John Devereux wrote:
> > Chris Bannister <mockingbird@earthlight.co.nz> writes:
> > >
> > > [..]

> Snip
> > > <Flabergasted that no one has commented>
> >
> > But he *did* write that - he quoted the OP, as indicated by the
> > correct number of ">>" being used. It remained clear he was not the
> > original author. True, the original authors name was snipped.
> >
> > --
> >
> > John Devereux
>
> It is the quoted .....BLAH BLAH BLAH that Carl is commenting on. Thanks
> Carl, I did not write "Blah blah blah" but that is no big deal. That was
> just a mistake in quoting. That happens. I did not even notice it, but just
> mentally supplied the intent: The responder did not like my reply. His
> choice.

Was that a deliberate joke? I didn't comment on anything.
--
Carl Fink nitpicking@nitpicking.com

Stupid mistakes you can correct!

Arthur A 07-17-2008 12:27 PM

Don't edit posts and claim OP posted it!!

> Was that a deliberate joke? I didn't comment on anything.

Scrolling through the archives online what appears to have happened is that
Damon wrote something, then the OP replied and replaced and long paragraph with
BLAH BLAH BLAH. Since the OP was rude to almost everyone who replied I think
everyone just read that as the OP being rude, yet again.

So, hopefully that wraps up the investigation and the polite police can move on
to more pressing tasks and stop this dreadful thread from continuing.

"Damon L. Chesser" 07-17-2008 08:07 PM

wrote:

> > Snip

> > > But he *did* write that - he quoted the OP, as indicated by the
> > > correct number of ">>" being used. It remained clear he was not the
> > > original author. True, the original authors name was snipped.
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> > > John Devereux
> >
> > It is the quoted .....BLAH BLAH BLAH that Carl is commenting on. Thanks
> > Carl, I did not write "Blah blah blah" but that is no big deal. That was
> > just a mistake in quoting. That happens. I did not even notice it, but
> > just mentally supplied the intent: The responder did not like my reply.
> > His choice.
>
> Was that a deliberate joke? I didn't comment on anything.
> --
> Carl Fink nitpicking@nitpicking.com
>
> Read my blog at blog.nitpicking.com. Reviews! Observations!
> Stupid mistakes you can correct!

We can almost stop the thread: No Carl that was not a joke, but a mistake,
Chris is the one that commented on the mis-quote not you. Thanks Chris, but
no big deal. NOW we can let this thread die.