Old 07-17-2008, 05:16 AM
"David Fox"

Default Incredible world-wide transportation network

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 11:38 AM, Nate Duehr <nate@natetech.com> wrote:

> Oh wow, that name brings back some memories...

Never had one of those. My first was a clone XT at Fry's electronics -
no hard drive at first, just 2 floppies (both 360K) and hercules
monochrome card and 12" amber monitor. 640K of ram though, on a full
length board - one of those Everex sixpack things .

My brother sent me a microfiche scan at the library of an old
newspaper (vintage 1986) which featured Fry's ads from that time
period. Wow. He told me that his 750 gig drive would have cost some
tens of millions of dollars if it had been manufactured back then.
Actually he'd have a few thousand 20 meg MFM drives stacked from here
to the nearest 7-11 .

If you get a chance, go over to archive.org and get some of the old
Computer Currents (a locally, KCSM-TV produced show) around that time.
I saw this one dated around 1987 some time ago that featured the first
386 production models.

Old 07-17-2008, 06:06 PM
"Barclay, Daniel"

Title: Re: [OT] Incredible world-wide transportation network

Raj Kiran Grandhi wrote:

> I once purchased a pack of cookies and found the date of packing to be a

> couple of weeks in the future!

Huh?* Why do you think that that was the date of packing?* Food packages

normally have _expiration_ dates (not packing or manufacturing dates), which

naturally would be in the future.

Daniel

--

(Plain text sometimes corrupted to HTML "courtesy" of Microsoft Exchange.)

Old 07-18-2008, 12:52 AM
Mark Allums

Nate Bargmann wrote:

I recall there was Desqview X out about that time. I'm not sure if it
had much to do with the X we now know and love.

Yes, it did. It really wasn't Desqview at all, it was a program to turn
you PC into an X terminal. I think it flopped as a product.

And when Win 3.0 came out, Desqview was dead, dead, dead. R.I.P.

Mark Allums

Old 07-18-2008, 02:33 AM
Nate Bargmann

* Mark Allums <mark@allums.com> [2008 Jul 17 19:55 -0500]:
> Nate Bargmann wrote:
>>
>> I recall there was Desqview X out about that time. I'm not sure if it
>> had much to do with the X we now know and love.
>
> Yes, it did. It really wasn't Desqview at all, it was a program to turn
> you PC into an X terminal. I think it flopped as a product.

I suppose, then, that it required a host running X programs to display
on the PC based terminal much (or exactly) like remote X clients now.
I guess they figured "cheap" PC hardware would make a good X terminal.

> And when Win 3.0 came out, Desqview was dead, dead, dead. R.I.P.

I was running a VGA monitor and card at the time and it took me some
time to get used to the idea of "windows". I still prefered a full
screen DOS program even though Desqview handled them quite well as I
recall. At least as well as a PC XT clone could handle running two or
more programs at once.

I bought an "upgrade" copy of Win 3.1 in '93--fifteen years ago,
wow--and slowly aclimated to the idea of mutliple windows on the screen
which are now second nature, of course. I guess the pretty colors and
"fancy" graphics made it somewhat appealing.

The Free Software desktop is a true culmination of all those that have
gone before.

- Nate >>

Old 07-18-2008, 12:43 PM
Chris Bannister

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 05:46:36AM +0530, Raj Kiran Grandhi wrote:
> I once purchased a pack of cookies and found the date of packing to be a
> couple of weeks in the future!

Did you check the year? They might have been a 50 weeks old. LOL

--
Chris.
======

Old 07-18-2008, 11:48 PM
Nate Duehr

David Fox wrote:

Oh wow, that name brings back some memories...

My brother sent me a microfiche scan at the library of an old
newspaper (vintage 1986) which featured Fry's ads from that time
period. Wow. He told me that his 750 gig drive would have cost some
tens of millions of dollars if it had been manufactured back then.
Actually he'd have a few thousand 20 meg MFM drives stacked from here
to the nearest 7-11 .

My favorite computer:

http://www.natetech.com/images/tandycoco.jpg

Only $599 and 16K of RAM. :-)

And whoever said something about open-source desktops:

http://www.natetech.com/images/not-penguin.jpg

Nate

Old 07-19-2008, 02:20 AM
Ron Johnson